PDA

View Full Version : Taurus 905 9mm Revolver

sigep1764
10-19-2014, 03:35 PM
Ok guys, traded for the revolver a month ago and have been shooting j words through it because my 358 sized boolits loaded up will not fit into the cylinder. They get about halfway in, then stick. Nowhere near the depth they need to be to properly headspace or close the cylinder. If I open the cylinder up a little in all chambers, will there be any problem shooting j words through this little guy afterwards? By the way, this is my first revolver and the girlfriend loves it. So to keep her happy, I must keep it functioning. To keep me happy, I have to be able to reload cast for it.

wbrco
10-19-2014, 07:03 PM
Why not just buy a smaller sizing die for your cast bullets? Size them down to .357 or .356 and try that. Lee sizer is a lot cheaper than a chamber reamer.

Ben
10-19-2014, 07:13 PM
The flare you put on the case mouths to seat the bullets must be removed with your seating die. Are you certain that you did this ? Measure the end of the case mouth of your reloads and a 9 mm factory round, that comparison should tell you where the problem is .

Bullwolf
10-19-2014, 08:54 PM
What boolit profile are you using a TC, RN, FP ?

Is it something that could be solved using a boolit with a different nose radius, or maybe seating your boolit deeper perhaps?

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-dScRenzwZzE/Tz3NEksXtcI/AAAAAAAADOU/_pS6NKuOtrU/w860-h645-no/Bullet+Shapes.jpg

I only ask because I can easily fit a Lyman 356402 TC, Lee TL356-124-2R, or the shorter Lee 358-105-SWC in 9mm sized at .358 (or even .359) in the cylinder of my Smith and Wesson 9mm J-frame 940. I imagine the Smith is very similar to the Taurus 9mm revolver.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=52416&d=1307078844

- Bullwolf

sigep1764
10-19-2014, 09:43 PM
Well the idea is that all four of my 9mm handguns shoot the same round. It is an Accurate 359-120b 5 cavity mold. Very close to the Lyman 356 402 tc. Casts at 360, sized to 358 in a lube sizer. I slugged the barrel at 356 on the revolver. I seat the boolits to the shoulder and they headspace properly and fit the chambers of the three semi autos I have. Accuracy is pretty acceptable with 3.7 grains of pb powder. Switching to red dot after one more pound of pb because I just scored 8lbs at basspro.com thanks to the guys here on the site. The crimp is about as straight as I can get it on my sdb and straight down the case of the seated boolit. It's not sizing down, I've pulled and checked them.

Bullwolf
10-19-2014, 09:58 PM
Well the idea is that all four of my 9mm handguns shoot the same round.

I can understand that. If that's the case it may be easier to ream the Taurus to accept the same round that's working for you, in your other guns.

I would likely go the other way, and make up some 9mm auto rim loads just for use in that revolver.

I hesitate when it comes to permanently removing metal unless I absolutely have to, as you cant easily put it back.

It's my understanding, in theory anyways that tight cylinder throats will shoot jacketed well, and loose or closer to bore size cylinder throats shoot cast well.

- Bullwolf

sigep1764
10-19-2014, 10:09 PM
Well it wouldn't take much to get them to chamber. They're half to three quarters of the way in as it sits. Is there any one one the forum that could take a thousandth out of the chambers? I'd like any money spent on this project to go to members since this site is so fantastic.

Bullwolf
10-19-2014, 10:27 PM
Well it wouldn't take much to get them to chamber. They're half to three quarters of the way in as it sits. Is there any one one the forum that could take a thousandth out of the chambers? I'd like any money spent on this project to go to members since this site is so fantastic.

Cast Boolits member DougGuy (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?29606-DougGuy) who posts more often in the Wheelguns, Pistols, and Handcannons section reams and hones Ruger cylinders throats. He does some forcing cone work as well. He may work on other brands also, I'm not sure.

Link to his profile:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?29606-DougGuy

I would send him a PM. I assume he would be the go to person to ask about doing something like this.

- Bullwolf

sigep1764
10-19-2014, 11:20 PM
Hey thanks Bullwolf. I appreciate it.

sigep1764
10-20-2014, 10:24 AM
Well DougGuy is doing only throats for revolvers at this time, no chambers.