PDA

View Full Version : Crying on a S&W "I" frame

trooperdan
02-06-2008, 09:52 AM
Well, I won a cute little S&W .32 L on GB last week, it is actually a .32 regulation police, made around 1940. Here is a link to the closed auction:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=90493735

A real little cutie.. but when I checked the bore, I saw it was ringed! Otherwise a pristine bore, what a shame! Kina like finding out your new bride wasn't a virgin after all! It has to go back.. but now I'm really pining for one like it but with a good barrel!

dubber123
02-06-2008, 10:26 AM
TD, I looked at a mint one in a shop years ago, 200$. I looked it all over, blue perfect, grips perfect, timing perfect, bore...holy crap! Must have been shot with BP and never cleaned. A shame.

A few years back, a neighbor was selling some guns for a family member. He says there is a Smith .32. (I'm thinking K-32). Nope, nickle I-frame. I go right to the bore this time, and it too looks really bad. I took it home, and thankfully, it was dried oil and dirt! Not as minty outside as the blued one, but very nice. One of my favorites.

Dale53
02-06-2008, 11:36 AM
My favorite of all of the small frame .32's is the S&W 631 Stainless in .32 H&R Mag. Mine has the 4" barrel (I believe that is the only way they came). However, it must be said, that it is so small and light that it is somewhat more difficult to shoot than a "K" frame (still pretty dern nice, however:mrgreen:) AND is has adjustable sights.

Now, please understand, when I say "more difficult" to shoot, I mean that I'll be more apt to shoot a 95/100 at 25 yards on the timed fire target than a 100/100 that I often get with the MUCH larger Model 16-4 (6"). Of course, the 631 is MUCH easier to pack when bunny hunting or as a cross draw companion to a shot gun when bird hunting (for those sitting bunnies or to snip the head off a wounded grouse).

Dale53

KCSO
02-06-2008, 11:58 AM
If it will make you feel any better I bought one mint, brought it home and my daughter ran off with it. I did get to shoot a few good groups with it before it left.

MtGun44
02-07-2008, 12:21 AM
Have you shot it yet? I have seen barrels in 1911s with severe rings that
shot just like there wasn't a ring. Hope yours shoots OK.

I have a .22/.32 6" target model I-frame and these are sweet little revolvers.

Bill

Freightman
02-07-2008, 11:35 AM
Son had a M-10 with a ring but would shoot as good as any 38 spl I have shot.

johnly
02-13-2008, 02:16 PM
Dale,

I have a unfired 4" 631 in my collection. What a gem. If S&W comes out with a J frame 327, I'm going to buy 2, so I can have a shooter.

John

My favorite of all of the small frame .32's is the S&W 631 Stainless in .32 H&R Mag. Mine has the 4" barrel (I believe that is the only way they came). However, it must be said, that it is so small and light that it is somewhat more difficult to shoot than a "K" frame (still pretty dern nice, however:mrgreen:) AND is has adjustable sights.

Now, please understand, when I say "more difficult" to shoot, I mean that I'll be more apt to shoot a 95/100 at 25 yards on the timed fire target than a 100/100 that I often get with the MUCH larger Model 16-4 (6"). Of course, the 631 is MUCH easier to pack when bunny hunting or as a cross draw companion to a shot gun when bird hunting (for those sitting bunnies or to snip the head off a wounded grouse).

Dale53

buckndee
02-14-2008, 12:21 AM
I would shoot it before sending it back. I have a 45 colt gold cup with a ringed barrel that shoots great if the barrel is left uncleaned. Have to clean the gun at about 500 rounds. The first two mags are all over the paper but by the third mag the powder fouling fill the ringed part of the barrel. Then it is back to 10 ring accuracy.

Nice looking gun you got there, try shooting 4-5 cylinders of casts with unique power.