PDA

View Full Version : Illegal to carry a loaded gun in my truck?

Bullshop Junior
10-19-2014, 12:34 PM
I was googling state gun laws (Montana) and came across one that stated that it is illegal to have a loaded gun in a vehicle. Is this fact, or am I missing something?

RED333
10-19-2014, 12:54 PM
TN just passed a law, "If you are 21 and allowed to own a firearm you can have it in your vehicle loaded"

montana_charlie
10-19-2014, 01:00 PM
I was googling state gun laws (Montana) and came across one that stated that it is illegal to have a loaded gun in a vehicle. Is this fact, or am I missing something?
I would guess that you ARE missing something.
Since you found this by Googling, why didn't you post a link to the document so we can read it ... and interpret it for you?

CM

dragon813gt
10-19-2014, 01:02 PM
You need to confirm w/ the state. In PA your vehicle is considered concealment. So you need your permit to legally carry a loaded firearm in said vehicle. Every state is different and figuring out the laws is always confusing.

Bullshop Junior
10-19-2014, 02:16 PM
Http:/www.predatordown.com/montana-coyote-hunting-regulations/

dragon813gt
10-19-2014, 02:28 PM
Is this for hunting or personal protection purposes? I can't have a loaded rifle if I'm actively hunting. It can't be loaded and leaning up against the vehicle. That constitutes truck hunting which is a forbidden practice. I would be searching Montana's official sites, not Internet forums.

jcwit
10-19-2014, 02:32 PM
Note here

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/montana.pdf

DougGuy
10-19-2014, 02:59 PM
Some laws are so stupid. Mississippi's law used to read "concealed in whole or in part." A State Trooper once told me if I hung it from the rear view mirror by a string, the officer could not see the part obscured by the string. He went on to say that if I managed to levitate the gun, and put a mirror behind the gun so the officer could see the back side of it, that was only a reflection of the back side of the gun and not the actual gun, therefore the back side of the gun is still concealed. About like viewing the dark side of the moon to verify there is something there.

waksupi
10-19-2014, 03:11 PM
Chamber must be empty, if a muzzle loader, un-primed.

If you would have read the page you linked, you would have had your answer.

koehlerrk
10-19-2014, 03:12 PM
Longarm or handgun? In NY longarms are for hunting and since hunting from your vehicle is a no-no, ditto loaded longarms in the vehicle. But if you have a CC permit you can carry a loaded handgun in your vehicle.

pworley1
10-19-2014, 03:28 PM
In Mississippi your car is considered an extension of your home and you can have one loaded. It is also an open carry state.

Multigunner
10-19-2014, 03:42 PM
From the condition of some shotguns and rifles I seen salvaged from the trunks of wrecked cars I would not consider keeping one up the spout of most types of firearms carried in a automobile.
Five beans in the wheel seems a good compromise.

mjwcaster
10-19-2014, 06:25 PM
I would always suggest starting with handgunlaw.us as posted above.
Really remember this site and go there first, best, most up to date site I have found,
Check out all the state you are traveling through also.

Look at page 5- RV/Car carry without a permit.
------------
Montana Attorney Web Site states the following:
“Montana has no prohibitions against carrying a weapon in a motor vehicle, although federal rules may apply
in national parks.”
--------

Then to verify just go to the Montana's attorney general's website (https://dojmt.gov/features/frequently-asked-firearms-questions/) and read the FAQ-
(Google montana attorney general firearms in vehicle)

-------------
Can I carry a firearm in my vehicle even if I don’t have a CWP?

Yes. Montana law does not regulate how firearms are carried in a vehicle. If you are traveling interstate please contact the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) and the state authorities in the other states you will be traveling in regarding any restrictions on interstate transport of weapons.

------------------
I don't trust what I find on the internet, but if it comes straight from a trusted source then I will follow it. The states attorney general is about the best site you could get.

Another hint-
Make sure you have a good title for your post, for those of us that follow you, we can guess you meant montana, since we already covered Texas a few weeks back and know you are leaving.
But there are many others who would have no idea what state you are asking about.

Good luck with the move, and let us know when that special lady of yours can really out shoot you :-)
Seeing how she has started out, I would guess just a few more range sessions, and make sure you take credit for being a great instructor.

Matt

dragon813gt
10-19-2014, 06:33 PM
We still need clarification. Is this for personal protection or hunting? More than likely two different regulations.

John in WYO
10-19-2014, 06:57 PM
Reading the statute indicated transporting a firearm with magazine loaded in a vehicle is okay, chamber loaded is not.

waksupi
10-19-2014, 07:20 PM
We still need clarification. Is this for personal protection or hunting? More than likely two different regulations.

Not in Montana. We is civilized here.

Cowboy_Dan
10-19-2014, 07:21 PM
Also, according to http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Montana, Montana concealed carry laws only refer to handguns carried on ones person, concealed partially or fully by clothing, etc., to include backpack, purses, etc., but not ones vehicle. However, this distinction may not apply in a hunting situation as other rules and laws may supercede it.

williamwaco
10-19-2014, 07:39 PM
Some laws are so stupid. Mississippi's law used to read "concealed in whole or in part." A State Trooper once told me if I hung it from the rear view mirror by a string, the officer could not see the part obscured by the string. He went on to say that if I managed to levitate the gun, and put a mirror behind the gun so the officer could see the back side of it, that was only a reflection of the back side of the gun and not the actual gun, therefore the back side of the gun is still concealed. About like viewing the dark side of the moon to verify there is something there.

Up until Texas revised theirs around 1990, it was illegal to carry a concealed handgun on or about your person or in your saddle bags.

dragon813gt
10-19-2014, 07:42 PM
Not in Montana. We is civilized here.

Chamber must be empty, if a muzzle loader, un-primed.

So you can't have a loaded firearm in your vehicle if I'm reading what you posted right. Or does this not pertain to a concealed firearm on your person? Is there different regulations regarding long arms and pistols? The original question is rather vague.

mjwcaster
10-19-2014, 07:48 PM
Reading the statute indicated transporting a firearm with magazine loaded in a vehicle is okay, chamber loaded is not.

Could you please share the statute to which you refer?
I can't help it, I find the law interesting.

All I can find for references are the Montana Constitution which declares a right to keep and bear arms but allows for restrictions on concealed weapons (paraphrasing)

And 45-8-316 Carrying concealed weapons which refers to-
A person who carries or bears concealed upon the individual's person

Montanas statutes are a nice change to read, real short and to the point.

There is the normal use of force in defense of a person and then defense of property.
The only thing I did not see is civil protection from use of force.

No duty to retreat.

BS Jr, I would suggest taking a few minutes to read them,
Start with
http://leg.mt.gov/bills/mca/49/1/49-1-103.htm
49-1-103. Right to use force. Any necessary force may be used to protect from wrongful injury the person or property of one's self, of a wife, husband, child, parent, or other relative or member of one's family, or of a ward, servant, master, or guest.

Bullshop Junior
10-19-2014, 08:06 PM
I never actually found anything on the state site. I mosty keep a handi rifle in my truck, so have always kept one chambered. It also makes for a pain with a revolver but i guess i will get used to just loading the gun when ever i get out of the truck

GhostHawk
10-19-2014, 09:12 PM
Minnesota is worse, there the rifle will be unloaded, and fully encased, enclosed or broken down and disabled so you can't quickly grab a round and shoot off the road. Which is really what this is all really about, not shooting off the roads. Road hunting is a way of life in some of the community's up here and the DNR's are trying to stomp on it.

I won't address the CC as I've never done it.

Frankly up here unless your carrying large amounts of cash or starting fights you shouldn't need it.

Unloaded in the glove box with a couple of mag's in your pocket should get you by.

Bullshop Junior
10-19-2014, 10:46 PM
Everyone keeps saying keep a loaded magazine. I only have revolvers, leverguns and single shots.

MtGun44
10-19-2014, 11:18 PM
Leverguns can have a loaded magazine.

If the Montana AG site says it is OK, that pretty much ends the discussion as far as I can tell.

Bill

oneokie
10-19-2014, 11:32 PM
Only load 5 or 4 as the case may be for revolvers. Keep the empty chamber under the firing pin.

Gator 45/70
10-19-2014, 11:39 PM
In Mississippi your car is considered an extension of your home and you can have one loaded. It is also an open carry state.

Same here, We also have The shoot the car jacker law here. He trys to jack you...You shoot! I like that!

Bullshop Junior
10-19-2014, 11:56 PM
The law says chamber. Technically all six holes are chambers on a revolver.

Blacksmith
10-20-2014, 12:35 AM
Don't ever drive through Maryland with a loaded weapon even if you have a permit and the loaded gun is locked in your trunk. Think a trip down I-95 from gun friendly PA to gun friendly VA.

Maryland has license plate readers some of which connect to databases that have other states permit holders. Maryland does not recognize any other states permits except armored car drivers on duty. Maryland permits are almost impossible to obtain, a may issue state. Can only transport unloaded and secured firearms within the state between certain specific locations or activities. Don't bring any of the banned "assault" rifles into the state that were obtained after October 1, 2013. The list goes on and on http://www.handgunlaw.us/ covers it pretty well.

And Washington DC is worse.

gpidaho
10-20-2014, 01:04 AM
On our way out to the desert today south of Boise I was stopped by Ada county sheriff patrol, going a little fast. A polite deputy ask for papers. Along with lic. ins. and reg. I handed the young man my ccp and said there are weapons on board at least one loaded. Adding that he was in no danger from us as we were going out to shoot some targets. He went about the paper work and as he handed it back even ask what cals. we were shooting and said have a good afternoon and be safe. All part of why I love Idaho and the respect given to others by law enforcement. GP

rondog
10-20-2014, 01:23 AM
All I know is Colorado law. Anyone can carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle, chambered and ready to go (except prohibited persons, of course). Long guns can have loaded magazines, but chambers must be empty.

Bad Water Bill
10-20-2014, 02:37 AM
Why would someone whose addy reads-Location-Gonzales Texas be worried about laws in a state a thousand miles away?

KIDS :kidding:

DCP
10-20-2014, 07:32 AM
The law says chamber. Technically all six holes are chambers on a revolver.

If the law says just the Chamber.

So a Semi Auto just load the Mag and don't rack the slide.

Bit the Bullet and buy a used Semi AUTO

Thumbcocker
10-20-2014, 09:14 AM
When in doubt call a law enforcement agency in the state you will be going through.

Screwbolts
10-20-2014, 09:38 AM
Longarm or handgun? In NY longarms are for hunting and since hunting from your vehicle is a no-no, ditto loaded longarms in the vehicle. But if you have a CC permit you can carry a loaded handgun in your vehicle.

I really think your are bit to focussed. " in NY longhand are for hunting" Is that written somewhere or a personal opinion? (Other than your written reply) I suppose you have never seen a target range, trap field, or skeet field here in NYS, not to mention recreational shooting.

waksupi
10-20-2014, 11:12 AM
In Montana, you are going to have to do something really stupid before the question would even come up for LEO's.

Mk42gunner
10-20-2014, 11:55 AM
In Montana, you are going to have to do something really stupid before the question would even come up for LEO's.

Best answer yet. At least until you run into the transplanted from (blank) type.

Robert

Bullshop Junior
10-20-2014, 12:15 PM

My brother caused enough stupid.

MT Gianni
10-20-2014, 01:41 PM
As I understand it you cannot have a round in the chamber. In a revolver this is interpreted as being in line with the barrel. In Idaho you cannot have one in line with the barrel or next to come up as it is rotated. The answer if a DA is a speedloader full of rounds in the gun and an open cylinder. For a single action the old load one skip one load 4 applies. For a single shot you may be best served with a elastic type cartridge holder that you can grab and chamber as quickly as possible. Levers require you to empty the gun and reload the magazine without one in the chamber before entering the vehicle.

rosewood
10-20-2014, 02:53 PM
Definitely different from state to state. Nothing in GA law saying you can't have one loaded and it even says you can have a hand gun loaded in your vehicle if it is your vehicle without a permit. However, the DNR laws state you can't have a loaded gun during hunting season, the laws kind of contradict themselves. If you have a carry permit though, the DNR law says you can. I have a CCW so I don't worry about it. :)

As someone else said, it is there so they can bust those shining that ride around with their gun ready to poach.

wills
10-20-2014, 04:08 PM
The state has its statutes online. Look at the statutes.

kootne
10-20-2014, 08:22 PM
There are a couple of related statutes to bear in mind regarding this question (the OP's original question specifying Montana rules);
1. It is not legal to discharge a firearm from a public roadway or right of way. I am not sure but believe this is any shooting, not just hunting. If there is a fence you need to be on the other side before shooting.
2. When hunting, you must be away (not touching the vehicle) before shooting at game animals/birds anywhere in the state. As I understand it, this was enacted because of the high number of shooting injuries/deaths that the statistics showed centered at the vehicle. I do not think this applies to non-game animals on private land and there are also exceptions if you aquire a disabled hunting permit.
3. If you are convicted of littering while hunting or fishing you lose your hunting/fishing privilges for 1 year. (not a gun reg, but related)

All of these are regularly broken by a lot of folks, but all will get you pinched if you're caught.
And please don't use the road signs to sight your guns in on;)
kootne