PDA

View Full Version : consistency is essential to reloading?

win94
10-18-2014, 07:16 PM
There are so many variables involved in the overall performance of the bullet. When one of the factors is not consistent, the overall effect of the bullet will be altered. Since this is the case, how can a reloader develop a consistent load for a caliber when he buys mixed brasses?

Alvarez Kelly
10-18-2014, 07:18 PM
Sort it by head stamp and lot before reloading it.

wv109323
10-18-2014, 07:45 PM
Another thing that may help is deprime, trim to length and then weight it per headstamp.

trails4u
10-18-2014, 07:51 PM
.....and if you really want to find consistency, size it, trim it to length, then sort it by weight of water each case will hold. Make sure you leave the spent primers in while sizing, otherwise hard to get them to hold water!! :) Weigh them empty, record results...then fill each carefully with water, taking care to level off the water at the case mouth, and weigh again. the difference is the water weight each case will hold. Sort by this # for the best consistency....

EDG
10-18-2014, 07:55 PM
Once you get a little experience with the brass you already own, quit buying mixed brass.

If you HAVE to use mixed brass sort it by headstamp and only use brass the same headstamp sorted into large lots.

There are so many variables involved in the overall performance of the bullet. When one of the factors is not consistent, the overall effect of the bullet will be altered. Since this is the case, how can a reloader develop a consistent load for a caliber when he buys mixed brasses?

Maven
10-19-2014, 03:03 PM
We like to believe that consistency is the sine qua non of reloading, but the first two threads question some of it:http://www.castbulletassoc.org/forum/view_forum.php?id=63.

mdi
10-19-2014, 04:54 PM
I have read a bunch about "variables" in reloading, and some factors are just too small to matter. I've read, on a few different occasions by different authors that 2% variation in a powder charge is negligible, and makes no measurable difference (now the mathematicians will tell just how much 2% of a given powder/charge is). I've also read and experienced accuracy differences from consistent brass manufacturers, weights, lot etc. and unsorted range brass. I cannot tell any difference in accuracy nor could the articles' authors.

But I'm not a benchrest shooter trying for 1/2 MOA @ 1,000 yards (I can't even see 1,000 yards), and my rifles shooting 2" groups is fine with me (4" for my Garand). Theories are great to toss around and yes inconsistencies will affect performance, but in real life how much inconsistency makes a difference? My OCD sent me into weighing cases, weighing bullets, weighing each charge, seating each bullet to within .002", and every thing else I could try, but on the target it didn't matter much, if any...:neutral:

But since reloading is a personal thing, I'll do as much as I feel is necessary and that may be more/less than the next guy's methods, and it's all OK...

starmac
10-19-2014, 05:02 PM
I tend to believe that the percentage of shooters able to take advantage of 100% that kind of prep is extremely low. I know I am not one not and never will be one of them.

dikman
10-20-2014, 06:36 AM
mdi, as I'm sure you realise (but forgot to say) that 2% figure, as a blanket statement, is meaningless. If you have a heavy load then 2% is relatively minor, but if you have a light load then 2% could very well be quite significant.

I think your bottom line sums it up nicely.

EDG
10-20-2014, 10:44 AM
In regard to percentage charge variation with powder...

Brass is about 8 times the density of the average powder .

Therefore 8 grains of brass changes the volume of the case equivalent to the volume of 1 grain of powder.
Any variation that you permit in the powder charge would translate into eight times the variation in your case weight.

3006guns
10-20-2014, 11:47 AM
I learned long ago that if you assembled everything with any reasonable amount of consistency, it'll still go "bang" and usually hit the target. The bench rest crowd is welcome to their somewhat anal attitude about precision.......I'd rather shoot.

shooter93
10-20-2014, 07:19 PM
Accuracy is a relative term. If using mixed head stamps gives you a load that is safe and reaches your desired accuracy level then use it. If you're looking for a world record....don't.

Love Life
10-20-2014, 08:39 PM

Well...it really depends on the rifle and what your accuracy standard is.

Blasting guns get fed whatever I come across. Match rifles get same lot Norma.

nhrifle
10-20-2014, 10:43 PM
What are your goals for the ammunition? If all you are looking for is punching paper targets or just having fun, don't over think the process. Use common sense safety precautions, find a safe load that groups well in your firearm, and have a ball. And no drinking until the loading session is over.

IF, on the other hand, you are looking to shoot tiny groups beyond normal hunting distances or are a serious competitor, quite a few members here could guide you in the right direction.