PDA

View Full Version : Noob gathering components & equipment

dieselrealtor
10-18-2014, 11:27 AM
I am in the learning process, have been reloading a while & bought the Lyman cast bullet handbook, have a little lead, Lee melting pot on order.

Thinking about the Lee molds as this will fit my budget for all my calibers & be readily available. I want some of the Mihec molds but they appear to be extinct (without a long wait), maybe in the future on the Mihecs.

I have read that when learning to cast the 2 cavity molds are better but I have a tendancy to "go big or stay home" with some things so the 4-6 cavity appeal to me more.

Thanks in advance, I have lurked here for a while & am a bit overloaded with info on this site.

mdi
10-18-2014, 12:10 PM
Well, I agree that with fewer things to go wrong, learning is easier. I started with a 2 cavity Lee mold, a Coleman stove, a stainless steel pot a slotted spoon, a Lee ladle, and a mallet. That's about bottom line for casting bullets. I cast bullets with this set-up for nearly a year, keeping my .44s fed, before I got an electric pot.

Mold temperature with a 2 cavity mold is a bit easier to control and making enough bullets won't turn into drudgery. I have an old Lyman 429421 from the '70s that casts an excellent bullet, but it's a single cavity and it really takes a "need" to cast enough bullets outta that mold; slow! One of my favorite molds is a 6 cavity, and the pot empties quickly so I gotta keep my eye on that and the pile grows rapidly, but I've been casting for quite a while and watch my bullets closely to check for cool cavities. Best for learning, IMO, is a two cavity; easy to handle, easy to control temp., and makes enough bullets each session.

Nuttin' wrong with Lee molds, I have 8 of them and even though Lee molds have a different "personality" than my Lyman molds, I get a lot of good bullets from them. I too am looking forward to a premium, semi-custom mold, but for now my present molds keep me well supplied for 7 different calibers.

I've often heard it said "The only way to learn to cast bullets, is to cast bullets", so when yer pot comes in, get casting...:mrgreen:

williamwaco
10-18-2014, 12:28 PM
Well, I agree that with fewer things to go wrong, learning is easier. I started with a 2 cavity Lee mold, a Coleman stove, a stainless steel pot a slotted spoon, a Lee ladle, and a mallet. That's about bottom line for casting bullets. I cast bullets with this set-up for nearly a year, keeping my .44s fed, before I got an electric pot.

Mold temperature with a 2 cavity mold is a bit easier to control and making enough bullets won't turn into drudgery. I have an old Lyman 429421 from the '70s that casts an excellent bullet, but it's a single cavity and it really takes a "need" to cast enough bullets outta that mold; slow! One of my favorite molds is a 6 cavity, and the pot empties quickly so I gotta keep my eye on that and the pile grows rapidly, but I've been casting for quite a while and watch my bullets closely to check for cool cavities. Best for learning, IMO, is a two cavity; easy to handle, easy to control temp., and makes enough bullets each session.

Nuttin' wrong with Lee molds, I have 8 of them and even though Lee molds have a different "personality" than my Lyman molds, I get a lot of good bullets from them. I too am looking forward to a premium, semi-custom mold, but for now my present molds keep me well supplied for 7 different calibers.

I've often heard it said "The only way to learn to cast bullets, is to cast bullets", so when yer pot comes in, get casting...:mrgreen:

+1.

I have several Lee 2 and 6 cavity molds. The 6 cavity molds tend to get too hot and cool off slower. With a 2 cav, I can just fill'er up and dump them.

With the 6 cavity I have to keep a fan blowing on the mold all the time it is empty and even then after four or five fillings they will get sticky and I have to just lay it down and let it cool.

Moral: You will not get three times as many bullets per hour with the six cavity as with the two.

On a Saturday afternoon in cool weather, I can get 400 to 500 from a two cavity mold with fewer rejects.

bangerjim
10-18-2014, 12:34 PM
I have over 26 Lee molds. I buy only 6 bangers when avaialble for what I want to cast and 2 bangers for those they only have in that style.

I feel 6 is no harder than a 2. And I get all 6 cavities producing perfect drops each time.........yield = 3X that of a 2 cavity.......for me! Your mileage may vary.

Preheat your mold to CASTING TEMP, not just "spit sizzlin' hot" on an electric hotplate and you will be just fine. I drop wrinkle free boolits on the 1st drop from both styles by doing that. Some dip the end of the mold in the lead, but all you usually get is a sub-temp mold and lead stuck all over the end!

You can also use the hotplate to preheat your feed ingots going into your pot to reduce cycle time! I set the dial to just under where they start to liquify on the plate and let them get up to temp while I am casting. Then, just drop a few in and they melt almost immediately.

Also if you ARE using a bottom pour, keep a butane goose neck lighter handy to heat up the spigot at 1st, as it will proably not pour right at first and after adding more ingots. The cast away!

I hope you ordered the 4-20 bottom pour. Most prefer that one. Some like ladle casting but I find it too slow. You can really crank out tons of slugs with a bottom pour and a 6 banger mold!!!!!!

I drop them in a flat cake pan with water and a towel. Not to get hardness, just to cool them off. I powder coat all boolits for no leading. And perrrdy colors!

You can tell if your lead is hot enough if the sprue turns dull in about 4-5 seconds. Another indicator of temp is the sizzle the dropped boolits have when the hit the water. They should "talk to you" (sizzle) sharply and not just plunk in! If no sizzle, your lead is not hot enough or you are letting the mold full of lead cool too long.

Also the sprue should cut EASILY.......no hard pounding or whacking required if correct temp is achieved. On 6 bangers, I just sift the sprue wooden handle easily. On 2 bangers I gently nudge it open with a small rawhide mallet and a VERY light tap or two.

If you feel so inclined, buy at casting thermometer. I have never used one or a controller and get perfect boolits 99.9% of the time. Practice makes perfect. Just get out there and cast. You will learn fast. And remember, bad ones melt down again real easy!!!!!!

Welcome to the insanity!

Read the stickies and ask questions if you cannot find answers.

bangerjim

dieselrealtor
10-18-2014, 12:58 PM
It is the 4-20 bottom pour that I have ordered, also going to pick up a thermometer to take some guesswork out of temps.

jmort
10-18-2014, 01:07 PM
Get the Tel Tru thermometer

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055777EU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=27UO44IFJYUFC&coliid=I3IC3M6K4UXVM3

I have both 2 and 6 cavity Lee Precision molds and like them both. For around $20 the 2 cavity is a good place to start. Regardless, if you don't like the mold you can sell it and get most of your $$$ back.

country gent
10-18-2014, 01:31 PM
Also buy a stenogrophers note book. Break it into calibers sections and then molds ( makes it easier to find what your looking for. Keep notes on what you do and how it works out, IE alloy, temps, how you preheated mould, casting techniques, ambient temperature. After a few sessions you can look up everything and start of right from the start of the session. Also eventually there will be moulds that are used occasionally and this infor will make remembering much easier. Also inside the cover lists equipment and date purchased as years down the road it may be an insight. Also dont forget when casting Saftey Glasses heavy clothing and shoes. An leather apron is nice at times. Leather gloves. Be as safe as possible.

canyon-ghost
10-18-2014, 02:19 PM
If you have a Production Pot 4 ordered, you'll have the capacity to use 6 cav molds. If, along the way, a six cavity would be easier, then by all means, try 'em out! Being the violin-player type, I waited for years before buying the 20 pound bottom pour and some six bangers. Should have done it five years ago.

Good Luck,
Ron

dieselrealtor
10-18-2014, 03:43 PM
+1.

I have several Lee 2 and 6 cavity molds. The 6 cavity molds tend to get too hot and cool off slower. With a 2 cav, I can just fill'er up and dump them.

With the 6 cavity I have to keep a fan blowing on the mold all the time it is empty and even then after four or five fillings they will get sticky and I have to just lay it down and let it cool.

Moral: You will not get three times as many bullets per hour with the six cavity as with the two.

On a Saturday afternoon in cool weather, I can get 400 to 500 from a two cavity mold with fewer rejects.

I realize it is possible to get overwhelmed, but is it realistic to run 2 6 cavity molds at once? Alternating them to allow a little cooling?

country gent
10-18-2014, 04:07 PM
It may take longer to get them up to temp depending on pre heat methods. But on other hand even with bigger bullets and a fairly brisk pace they shouldnt over heat and throw frosted bullets either. Start slow and get good then start adding speed to the process. Get the procedures and cadences down first.

bangerjim
10-18-2014, 04:30 PM
I run 2 six cavity molds all the time.

banger

dieselrealtor
10-20-2014, 04:02 PM
I realize this is a stupid question but the learning curve has to begin somewhere :smile:

Can you tumble lube with alox a bullet that did not come from a TL mold?

theperfessor
10-20-2014, 04:26 PM
Yes you can.

bangerjim
10-20-2014, 04:39 PM
I realize this is a stupid question but the learning curve has to begin somewhere :smile:

Can you tumble lube with alox a bullet that did not come from a TL mold?

Of course. I used to do it all the time B4 I started powder coating all my boolits.

bangerjim

MT Chambers
10-20-2014, 05:10 PM
There are many fine producers of quality molds (production molds) Lyman, RCBS, Saeco, Ballisticast, and custom makers such as Accurate and LBT that can have a QUALITY mold in very little time.

Wayne Smith
10-22-2014, 07:36 AM
Just a point - If you want one of Miha's molds - order them now, don't wait. You don't pay until he is ready to ship, so it's only the wait. If you know what you want go ahead and put your name in the pot.

dieselrealtor
10-22-2014, 07:18 PM
Just a point - If you want one of Miha's molds - order them now, don't wait. You don't pay until he is ready to ship, so it's only the wait. If you know what you want go ahead and put your name in the pot.

Good point, I think I will do that.

starmac
10-24-2014, 02:05 PM
Duh, no mention of NOE, they are some purty molds.

dieselrealtor
10-24-2014, 03:08 PM
I am planning to order at least 1 NOE mold, thanks.

RKJ
10-24-2014, 08:51 PM
I've had more luck with the 6 cavity molds than the the 2 cav ones. I run a 6 cav 9mm 120 TC and usually a lyman 429421 44 mold and they both drop very nice boolits after 2-3 tries. I would go for the 6 bangers myself, but watch the cam lever. Maybe it's just me but I keep breaking the lever on the 230 TC 45.

WyrTwister
10-26-2014, 06:58 AM
I am in the learning process, have been reloading a while & bought the Lyman cast bullet handbook, have a little lead, Lee melting pot on order.

Thinking about the Lee molds as this will fit my budget for all my calibers & be readily available. I want some of the Mihec molds but they appear to be extinct (without a long wait), maybe in the future on the Mihecs.

I have read that when learning to cast the 2 cavity molds are better but I have a tendancy to "go big or stay home" with some things so the 4-6 cavity appeal to me more.

Thanks in advance, I have lurked here for a while & am a bit overloaded with info on this site.

Almost all my molds are Lee and of those , most are 6 cavity in the calibers that Lee sells them .

Any time I get a lee mols , I scrub them well with an old tooth brush , tooth paste ( mild abrasive ) & warm water . Rinse well and let dry VERY WELL !

I turn my melting pot to 100% and pour bullets until they start coming out well . Turn the melting pot to " normal " and continue casting .

This seems to accelerate the " break in " process and I not have to break in do that mold again .

Warning , do not let the lead get too solid / hard , before you cut the spru . I made that mistake a couple of time and broke the cam that opens the sprue plate the first bit , on the 6 cavity molds .

The wooden handles will probably get loose , just mix up some J B Weld and glue the handles on . It seems to survive the heat just fine .

The 6 cavity molds are the way to go . :-)

God bless
Wyr

gunoil
10-30-2014, 10:27 PM
l say buy quality molds now, hardlineindustries.com

I say buy RCBS pro-melt pot.

Wish l had known to did it in the beginning.

Tin, lead, WW's.

I use hitech-supercoat.

Yea, it cost money one time.

WyrTwister
10-31-2014, 05:40 AM
I have no regrets about my Lee molds or melting pot . Your mileage may vary .

God bless
Wyr