PDA

View Full Version : Boxes of old stuff?

beeser
10-18-2014, 10:31 AM
I just came across 3 boxes of reloading and casting stuff and haven't decided what to do with them. First of all, I'm new to guns in general and just started to shoot bullseye. I also just purchased a Dillon XL650 and so far have been loading .45 ACP for about a month. On to the boxes - they contained an old RCBS press that I just identified as a Rock Chucker II with a Piggyback conversion, RCBS Lube-A-Matic, RCBS Case Trimmer, Lee lead melting pot, RCBS scale, RCBS accessory plate, lead and various rounds of ammo and spent cases.

RCBS RCII - The press seems to be only missing the powder measure. Would it be worth it to buy a powder measure and use the setup for one of my lesser used caliber loads? If so, what measure should I get? Or should I just use the thing for a boat anchor?

RCBS Lube-A-Matic and other casting stuff - Before purchasing my first gun I never thought about reloading. I figured you just bought ammunition for your needs. Then I got into bullseye and quickly realized the necessity of reloading. I'm probably at a similar stage with casting but still haven't seen the need or desire to get into it. Should I keep this equipment or find another home for it? Is it any good for getting started into casting?

MrWolf
10-18-2014, 10:44 AM
Welcome aboard! I am of the opinion if I have something that I may possibly use in the future, I keep it. But I am probably a pack rat so... I think if you start smelting, casting, etc. you will be hooked and will regret not keeping what you have. The 650 is a bit much for just starting out but your choice of the 45 to reload was a good one as it is easier than say the 9mm for a beginner. Before you decide what to do I would read the stickies and make sure you acquire at least a few reloading manuals such as the Lyman 3rd (best one imho for cast), Lyman 4th, etc. there are pdf's here included in the stickies that offer a wealth of knowledge. Good luck!

Ron

cheese1566
10-18-2014, 11:04 AM
If your just starting in everything, then it's my opinion to get the single stage mounted next to your progressive. Keep everything as you may want to later mount that piggyback to the rock chucked. Uniflow powder measures aren't expensive in the swapping and selling section. ( some guys like the piggyback, some swear at them....I like them.)

what at you have now is the basic necessities for any reloading bench. I hope you already had a powder scale...

Keep the luber too, if you needed a Dillon 650 starting out for 45, then you'll want to check into finding cheap lead to cast your own, unless you have lots of fun money to support the shooting fun,,,

keep it, or sell it to me cheap! I am always looking for projects and like those piggybacks!

triggerhappy243
10-18-2014, 11:48 AM
YOUR BOXES OF "OLD STUFF"....... KEEP ALL OF IT. If you sell it, you will regret it. the rock chucker is perfect for loading rifle rounds. will also teach you the basics of what you need to learn about using the dillon. It is how I learned.

mold maker
10-18-2014, 11:58 AM
The only things I regret selling, are the ones I didn't keep.
All RCBS equipment is good stuff, and will always sell down the road.

bangerjim
10-18-2014, 12:43 PM
Yes.......keep it all! Single stage is always welcome.

The minute you sell any of it, you will need it.

bangerjim

beeser
10-18-2014, 12:53 PM
I have a couple of scales, an older style Dillon electronic and an older Lyman M5. I primarily use the electronic scale but check it occasionally with the M5. So far I've loaded a little over 1000 rounds of .45 ACP using the XL650. Setting it up wasn't difficult and seems to work fine. I'm really impressed with the heavy-duty RCBS and how it's made. The only drawback that I can see is that it doesn't have an automatic case feeder. But for small quantities that might not be too bad. Apparently RCBS powder measures come in a few flavors. Is there any advantage going with the Competition measure or would the Uniflow work just as well?

I haven't thought much about casting bullets so maybe I should just jump in and ask a few questions. I just purchased about 2000 bullets from Roze and Magnus. All were 185 grain LSWC and half of those were hollow point. Roughly speaking I paid about 10 cents a piece for these including shipping. Would I eventually be able to cast these same bullets for less money?

triggerhappy243
10-18-2014, 12:57 PM
I have 2 rcbs uni-flow measures. I swear by them. all you will ever need. I use my rockchuckers to load rifle in a single stage setup. KEEP IT SIMPLE.

Mk42gunner
10-18-2014, 02:00 PM
beeser,

Welcome aboard.

Yes, you can get the cost of lead projectiles down under ten cent apiece. It depends on the cost of your alloy and heat, weather electric or gas.

I haven't bought primers in a while, but I have loaded lots of plinking ammo in calibers ranging from .38 Special to .45 ACP for under ten cents total price. I am still using some .308 Winchester that the total cash outlay was under $6.00 per hundred. With the costs of powder and primers now, that would probably be somewhere around $8.00/100.

My vote is to keep what you have, as long as you have room for it.

Robert

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
10-18-2014, 02:08 PM
Once you find a source for lead (and lead wheel weights are one of the best sources) you can cast your own boolits for way less than you bought bullets for. Keep all that equipment, read all you can on this forum about reloading and casting to learn what you have, then use the equipment you have to make boolits for your casting.

BTW, you'll want to put your location on your profile and let folks see it so they can help you related to your location. Everything from someone pointing out where near you to get something to a friend on the forum coming by and teaching you how to smelt and cast.

You can use an RCBS Uniflow powder measure or any other brand you wish with your presses. Don't get snagged into the idea that you can't mix and match different brands. You can. I own reloading equipment, dies, presses, powder measures, etc for about every company out there and I mix/match them all the time.

For instance: I just started reloading .38 special on my RCBS press. I'm using a mix of Dillon and RCBS dies so far and I'm using a Dillon powder measure with a custom made powder funnel a friend sent to me. If I switched to reload .223, I would use an RCBS lube die, a Dillon size/trim die, a Dillon 1200 trimmer for my first pass, then a Dillon powder measure, and a Forster seating die on my second pass. To speed things up, I could add a Hornady or RCBS bullet feed die.

With mixing and matching, you can achieve better results reloading by taking advantage of different features offered by different companies to get the cartridge you wish, rather than settling for just the thinking and ideas of a single company.

catskinner
10-18-2014, 06:46 PM
I got started reloading in 1976 with an RCBS Rockchucker and still use it some. Mostly use an RCBS Partner press I have mounted on a piece plate iron so I could load at the range and at rifle matches. Also have an RCBS lube sizer and prefer it over the Lyman I started with. H&I dies interchange between those two. Got started casting bullets soon after I started reloading with a Lyman pot and dipper on a Coleman camp stove.Now have about 150 moulds and haven't shot a jacketed bullet in over 10 years. Look out bullet casting can be addictive!

beeser
10-19-2014, 12:05 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments. OK, I'll keep the stuff and study the information here on casting. I was skeptical about reloading at first but gradually began to enjoy the process and the challenge in finding the optimum loads for bullseye. Perhaps casting will be the same. I'll probably run across casting supply sources in my reading but jumping ahead where do you folks go for your casting supplies?

On a separate note, the RCBS press came with a 3 piece RCBS .38 Special die set. When attempting to use the re-sizing/de-priming die it put rather deep vertical scratches on the brass case and was very difficult to run through. I never experienced that before. Any idea what's causing this?

triggerhappy243
10-19-2014, 12:30 PM
the scratches could be a result of a dirty sizer die. clean the inside with brake parts cleaner. it is an aerasol solvent.... works great. if the sizer die is not a carbide sizer, then you need to use resizing lube. that is a P.I.T.A. find a carbide sizer die... no case lube required.

Wayne Smith
10-19-2014, 12:32 PM
Obviously you have something in the die that is scratching the brass. Send the die back to RCBS, they will take care of you.