PDA

View Full Version : Shipping press handles????

abunaitoo
10-17-2014, 11:17 PM
I have a couple of old Pacific single presses I'm thinking of selling.
Press looks like it would fit into the USPS FRB, but the handle is to long.
Any suggestions on how to fit it into the box??????
I thought of cutting it, but I wouldn't want it cut if I were buying it.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-17-2014, 11:22 PM
There is two different sized med flat rate boxes.
The longer one is 11-7/8" x 3-3/8" x 13-5/8"
you can probably get a 16" or 17" handle in one of those if placed diagonally

https://store.usps.com/store/browse/uspsProductDetailMultiSkuDropDown.jsp?productId=P_ O_FRB2&categoryId=priority-mail

mdi
10-18-2014, 12:34 PM
Are the handles the old solid cast type? If so, just disassemble the press, removing the handle...

Mk42gunner
10-18-2014, 02:06 PM
I have a couple of old Pacific single presses I'm thinking of selling.
Press looks like it would fit into the USPS FRB, but the handle is to long.
Any suggestions on how to fit it into the box??????
I thought of cutting it, but I wouldn't want it cut if I were buying it.

I'd give whoever buys them the choice of if they want to pay the increased shipping costs, or if they want a cut down handle.

There is two different sized med flat rate boxes.
The longer one is 11-7/8" x 3-3/8" x 13-5/8"
you can probably get a 16" or 17" handle in one of those if placed diagonally

https://store.usps.com/store/browse/uspsProductDetailMultiSkuDropDown.jsp?productId=P_ O_FRB2&categoryId=priority-mail

The problem with that box is that the rest of the press won't fit. The presses measure closer to five inches, (guess, my Pacific Super C is too buried to measure right now) than 3 3/8".

Robert

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-18-2014, 03:28 PM
The problem with that box is that the rest of the press won't fit. The presses measure closer to five inches, (guess, my Pacific Super C is too buried to measure right now) than 3 3/8".
Robert
While I didn't spell out all the possible details, sometimes (when HI and AK are concerned) two flat rate boxes will ship cheaper than one large heavy package, that doesn't fit in a flat rate box.

williamwaco
10-18-2014, 03:42 PM
You don't have to put them in a box.

I know you can get padded envelops up to 15 or 16 inches long. That should be plenty. If not use two and slip one over each end of the handle.

http://www.amazon.com/Duck-Brand-Bubble-Cushioned-Mailers/dp/B000PJ63HU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1413661248&sr=8-5&keywords=padded+envelopes

19 inches long !

https://store.usps.com/store/browse/productDetailSingleSku.jsp?categoryNav=false&navAction=push&navCount=0&productId=P_841800&categoryId=shipping-supplies

wv109323
10-18-2014, 04:27 PM
You can also get a tube to ship the handle in. They are meant to ship rolled up blueprints, posters, fishing rods etc. I am pretty sure the USPS has them as well as boxes.

alamogunr
10-18-2014, 05:03 PM
You can also get a tube to ship the handle in. They are meant to ship rolled up blueprints, posters, fishing rods etc. I am pretty sure the USPS has them as well as boxes.

Make sure it is stuffed w/newspaper or other material. Otherwise the handle will act like a slide hammer and punch the end of the tube out.

too many things
10-18-2014, 05:17 PM
the handle should fit caddy corner BUT make sure you tape the corners VERY good. I got on with no handle

Pressman
10-19-2014, 08:15 AM
ALWAYS tape the handle to the box when shipping. Or It Will poke a hole in the box and fall out. I have received too many presses missing the handles. Shipping USPS is best, fud ex and the brown truck seem to destroy boxes better than USPS.
Ken

abunaitoo
10-19-2014, 03:50 PM
I guess I should have been more clear.
I want to mail the whole press.
The press will fit into a USPS FRB. The handle is to long.
I can just cut it to fit, but that would take away some leverage.
Could cut it and stud it so it could be screwed back to the original length. But that would make it weaker.
Could ship the handle separate. But that would cost more.
Wish they would make a bigger flat rate box.

Pressman
10-19-2014, 05:10 PM
What kind of press is this? Most cartridge presses have handles 12-14" long, 13 being the norm. They will fit a flat rate box if removed from the press.
Yours is???

Ken

starmac
10-19-2014, 06:09 PM
LOL I would probably be more peod if I recieved a cut off handle, than getting one with a hole in the box and no hqndle. lol

abunaitoo
10-20-2014, 03:16 AM
It an old Pacific.

Pressman
10-20-2014, 04:46 AM
Just remove the handle, it should be threaded in, probably really tight. OR, remove the pivot pin and drop the ram out. It is the same as removing the handle and if it is a really old Pacific the handle is a press fit to the pivot block and you don't want to try to remove it.

Ken

3006guns
10-20-2014, 11:43 AM
Make sure it is stuffed w/newspaper or other material. Otherwise the handle will act like a slide hammer and punch the end of the tube out.

Good advice! Also tape the living bejeebers out of anything like that before shipping. The P.O. lost a rather valuable lathe part that I shipped a couple of years ago. The box arrived with a big hole in the side, but no part and they never did find it.