PDA

View Full Version : single shot pistols

Billthomas
10-17-2014, 07:40 PM
119441another project, they need some refinement but are fully functional. Bill T

ThaDave
10-17-2014, 08:57 PM
Cool build what are the details of what you did?

Billthomas
10-17-2014, 09:29 PM
Kind of hard to explain, just started cutting and hacking, the way I go at everything, that's why I did 3, your never satisfied, theres another in the offing soon, Thanks, Bill T.

oldred
10-18-2014, 08:49 AM
I am assuming these are of your own design? Would you care to share some of the details of the actions?

I have done a lot of thinking and trying to design a single shot rifle action but it seems as if I always end up right back in the same place, just a re-hash of John Browning's design. Winchester, back when they bought Browning's patent, did an excellent job of refining the design to come up with the 1885 and thus didn't leave a whole lot of room for improvement. Of course the newer 1885s are 1885s in name only, they may look somewhat similar to the originals on the outside but it ends there as they are a thoroughly modern rifle with a very complicated action that would be a nightmare to duplicate, but then why would anyone want to with the originals being the excellent design they are!

Billthomas
10-18-2014, 09:23 AM
The interior is similar to a British Fraser action, I still haven't settled on final fire control system, maybe after the two high walls are done, I don't know how many projects are left in me. The high walls are excellent designs but in some areas are at the edge, one area is the barrel threads, 15\16 , you cant get any larger because of the spring cavity clearance, and there is not a lot of metal in cross section behind the hammer. You mentioned making a lever action, if you look at Brownings designs, you can see the falling block idea in the locking bars, sort of a repeating high wall. I could imagine a lever looking Martini, kind of like the Ithica 49 saddle gun only better designed and made. Later, Bill T