PDA

View Full Version : California Law

bradh
10-16-2014, 08:13 PM
I know in CA it is illegal for a convicted felon to have in their pocession a handgun.
Does that also apply to long guns and shotguns?

Thank you for any info.

MaryB
10-16-2014, 10:31 PM
Yes felons are banned from all gun ownership

opos
10-16-2014, 10:40 PM
Think it even goes further than ownership...think it refers to access .... others can weigh in that might know more but if you have guns in your home, office, car, etc (anywhere) where a convicted felon could have access to them you can be in a mess...I have a friend with a brother that is a convicted felon and whenever the brother is coming over he has to lock everything up...he also can't go shooting with his brother nor take him along...Again, maybe others can clarify but I'm pretty sure felons and guns in California just can't mix.

aspangler
10-16-2014, 10:51 PM
Convicted felons (at least in TN) cannot even be in the same house that has a firearm of any sort in it. If you go in and a convicted felon is there and you have you carry piece they have to leave. I've seen this happen.

leeggen
10-17-2014, 12:53 AM
Aspangler, here in TN felons can't even be in the house even if the guns are locked up, according to our local judge.So with Ca. haveing stricter laws I would think the same.
CD

beroen
10-17-2014, 02:25 AM
Think it even goes further than ownership...think it refers to access .... others can weigh in that might know more but if you have guns in your home, office, car, etc (anywhere) where a convicted felon could have access to them you can be in a mess...I have a friend with a brother that is a convicted felon and whenever the brother is coming over he has to lock everything up...he also can't go shooting with his brother nor take him along...Again, maybe others can clarify but I'm pretty sure felons and guns in California just can't mix.

Yes No access everything in lockup unless your Leland yee

lefty o
10-17-2014, 03:40 AM
i believe most states are the same. as far as im concerned, it should be all states, for life!

Taylor
10-17-2014, 07:13 AM
My understanding of Tn/US is that they cannot have access to them.In a locked room is fine,in a holster on your person is fine,and muzzleloaders don't count.Kansas I think,not even a bow.But,I write this without reviewing my books.

Lead Fred
10-17-2014, 07:20 AM
From 1792 to 1967, all folks could have firearms, as is stated in the 2nd amendment, they were not infringed on.
In some states the day you get out of jail, you have your rights back. Here it costs $1500 and you get them back.

The unconstitutional firearms act of 1968 took that right away

It may be a law, but it is far from legal

castalott
10-17-2014, 07:42 AM
I'm with Lead Fred on this one. You have all your other Constitutional Rights, even when in prison. For example you have the right to an attorney. I realize you can't have guns in prison but your Rights are still yours when you get out.

Didn't a Louisiana Judge say something to this effect a few months ago?

Dale

pworley1
10-17-2014, 08:41 AM
In Mississippi the law says possess. It is my understanding this applies to all firearms.

starmac
10-17-2014, 12:59 PM
How would a felon know if he was in a room, building,car or anywhere else that someone was carrying concealed.
I am no lawyer, and I have never read the law in person, but this was covered on one of our firearm radio shows a while back. The way they explained the law, was that Alaska law said anyone could own a gun, but a felon was not suppose to conceal carry. It is against federal law, but not Alaska law, so supposedly unless a guy somehow got afoul with the feds he would not be breaking the law. So apparently at least some states have some leeway on the law.

shooter93
10-17-2014, 06:27 PM
And yet the Second Amendment doesn't mention felons.

beroen
10-17-2014, 10:43 PM
I kind of feel it should be crime specific. I also feel they like the law that way because most people who have been convicted of a felony are not confirming and will not be sheep. Just like the law that failed in CA that said if you had a dishonorable discharge from the military no firearms rights.. get rid of groups that would pose a threat then take the rests rights away... it's not all black and white but you smell what I am stepping in.

MaryB
10-18-2014, 12:00 AM
I have a friend who was with friends in a car. He did not know they had just robbed a liquor store and they had never committed a crime before that one. He was 18 and was charged with a felony for helping fugitives. He lost his gun rights 36 years ago for nothing he did on purpose. The laws need work!

ProfGAB101
10-18-2014, 12:04 AM
G. Gordon Liddy - Convicted on a few felony counts for actions related to the Watergate break in... Has mentioned on his radio talk show that he can not be in "possession" of a firearm, however his wife owns more than 20 and keeps half of them on his side of the bed...

Today the list of minor violations that can be charged as felonies is absurdly astronomical. Chances are if you leave your house you will unknowingly commit more than one each day.

MaryB
10-18-2014, 12:07 AM
I know I committed one today. I don't have my carry permit and I stepped in the street to get my mail with my pistol in my pocket. Have skunks again this fall that have been active during daylight.

Love Life
10-18-2014, 07:11 AM
If the crime was so bad that a person deserves to lose the ability to exercise a right and lose the ability to defend themselves or their family, then the person should have been sentenced to death or imprisoned for life.

Felons are citizens. If people want them to lose their rights, then take their citizenship and deport them...or see above.

Citizen...a very important word to me. Very important. Labeling a man or woman a felon today is a sentence to a self perpetuating life. As a felon it is hard to get jobs which means hard to get legal income which means a larger chance to resorting to illegal activities to get required income.

Additionally, after a man or woman "Pays their debt to society" they are on a restrictive parole...which is just a jail sentence without the bars. To me, doing ones time is all that is necessary without follow on restrictions on life.

Summary: A felon is still a citizen and once they have completed their jail time then ALL rights need to be restored. Period. If the crime is so bad as to take their rights then either execute, imprison for life, or take away citizenship status and banish them or something.

Picking and choosing which citizens get rights is BS.

ksfowler166
10-18-2014, 11:26 AM
Yes felons are banned from all gun ownership
It might differ from state to state but here in Kansas a felon my purchase/posses a muzzleloading/cap and ball rifle, shotgun, or pistol. I think they can also be in proximity to cartridge firearms but can not handle them. The reason I know think this is that a friend of mine who owns the local indoor range, his son is a felon yet will come in and talk or work from time to time at the gun club.