PDA

View Full Version : Help setup old RCBS Lube-A-Matic

SniderBoomer
10-16-2014, 04:31 PM
I got an old RCBS Lube-A-Matic and cleaned it up and filled with fresh lube.

Problem is, the die locking-nut, when screwing it down on a die, it seems to come to a firm stop long before the edge of the nut gets near the Luber main body.

See image - this is as far as I can turn the lock-nut down.

http://i57.tinypic.com/doxkdi.jpg

I am having trouble with getting lube into the top grooves, as if the die needs to see a bit deeper.

Those of you with original Lube-A-Matics - does this lock-nut height, being deep as I can get it - look right?

dragon813gt
10-16-2014, 05:00 PM
That's how both of mine sit w/ a die installed. I've had no issues. The first hole is well below the lock nut and w/in the casting so you shouldn't be having any issues filling the grooves.

SniderBoomer
10-16-2014, 06:46 PM
Thanks guys

EDG
10-22-2014, 08:02 AM
That gap allows you push the chamfer on the die bottom down against the casting so the bottom does not leak. That pressure also forces the O ring into the nut sealing off the top.

dromia
10-26-2014, 05:40 AM
As has been said that is normal.

When putting the H&I die into the sizer, seat it fully into the lock nut first and then put both as a single unit into the sizer and tighten up. Make sure that the lock nut doesn't cross thread when screwing in.

The Perfessor makes a handy and effective doofur for ensuring that the lock nut doesn't cross thread. Before I got a couple of them a 2 penny piece on top of the lock nut and aligned with pressure from the ram on it sufficed.