PDA

View Full Version : Question about the LRH barrels.

starmac
10-16-2014, 02:33 PM
I shoot left handed, which is a curse when it comes to traditional sidelocks (anything actually). I have a cabellas hawkin left hand, several years ago I had an idea of getting a LRH barrel for it, but couldn't or didn't find any left hand breech plugs for one. Is there a maker, or is this something that would have to be custom built? How much trouble would it and expensive would it be to fit one of these to the cabellas rifle?
What size are these barrels across the flats, all the same or were different sizes available?

drago9900
10-16-2014, 04:32 PM
Stonewallcreekoutfitters will make a drop in for you, I'm sure there are others also.

C. Latch
10-16-2014, 04:41 PM
Green Mountain made the LRH series barrels in both 15/16ths and 1" sizes. I don't think every caliber and option was available in both sizes, though.

I have a 1" carbine .50 and a 15/16" rifle-length .50. The carbine will shoot lights-out with sabots and conicals, far better than I can hold with peep sights. The rifle barrel I am saving for when I have time to appreciate it.

bubba.50
10-16-2014, 05:30 PM
for what you'd likely end up payin' someone to build a barrel you could buy a left-hand Great Plains Hunter with the 1 in 32 inch fast-twist barrel.

starmac
10-16-2014, 05:31 PM
Stonewallcreekoutfitters will make a drop in for you, I'm sure there are others also.

Thanks for the info. I called them and he sounded like a guy I will be doing at least some business with, BUT he hung up on me when I mentioned left hand. lol Actually he didn't, but said he said nobody makes left handed breech plugs, so the only way possible would be to use the one off of mine. That would not work with my switch barrel idea. lol He also can not do the fast twist, that I was interested in. He was very helpful explaining what he could and could not do.

OverMax
10-16-2014, 09:31 PM
I'd check with Track of the Wolf. Biggest supply of on hand breech plugs that I know of in the upper Midwest. Barrels too.

bubba.50
10-16-2014, 11:39 PM
Track of the Wolf shows no left-hand plugs that will fit the lyman/thompson guns.

Midsouth has left-hand 1 in 32 twist Great Plains Hunter barrels in stock for 230 bucks. by changin' the wedgeloops it will fit yer cabelas stock if they're still made by investarms/lyman. luck & have a good'en, bubba.