PDA

View Full Version : H&R barrel accessories question

GREENCOUNTYPETE
10-16-2014, 11:11 AM
I had called H&R they sent a call tag for my receiver , i gave it to the UPS man and it made it to the H&R facility , they sent me an email with a quote for 1 dollar to sign and send back

is this normal ? this seems like a huge waste of time

I was really expecting they would call me and tell me $104 for the 44 barrel $104 for the 357 barrel $25 to fit and $19 to ship it back and I would give them my card number and it would get done and be on it's way back

Jim Flinchbaugh
10-16-2014, 11:28 AM
Hmm, I never heard of that procedure. I sent one in last week, we'll see what happens I guess.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
10-16-2014, 02:08 PM
I called and got someone who looked at it said well you sent in a muzzle loading reciver and he said they can't put barrels on muzzle loading receivers , yes i did but it is the huntsman sold as a full firearm and not the side kick

and your guy knew good and well that was the case when i gave him the serial number and he still sent a call tag for it and said no problem

this sounds like someone got told no side kick muzzle loaders at some point and heard no muzzle loaders period

then he transferred me to someone else voice mail

GREENCOUNTYPETE
10-16-2014, 03:17 PM
well that was a stinking waste of time , I called again , they are dead set against putting any barrel on a huntsman muzzle loader

H&R really needs to sell SB2 frames with 33 and 357 barrels as a package and not force you to buy a rifle cartridge first then send it in to get what you want

with former shotgun only states now allowing strait wall pistol cartridges , they need to be on this , they are loosing money to competitors like CVA

GhostHawk
10-16-2014, 09:43 PM
GreenCountryPete there are a LOT of .357 and .44mags for sale on SB2 frames. Check gunbroker and Gallery of Guns if you want a new one.

I have not yet had to deal with H&R (Will be shortly) but I fully expect some emails and calls and a lot of research on my part before I send a gun in.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
10-23-2014, 04:27 PM
I called read them my serial number told them what I wanted and only when they had the reviver in hand did they say no , they knew exactly what it was from the serial number and i confirmed it , I never tried to hide anything , I had filled out a 4473 for that gun and was told it was considered a full gun not just a muzzle loader when I purchased it from gander mountain

I am not very happy with either right now

Remington took 2 tries to get me a simple rear sight for a 870 slug barrel again gave them the serial number they told me exactly what I had I confirmed it , I said rear sight they sent front , then I called back and they sent the rear sight minus the screw , I gave up and went and found a screw that worked

Ruger and RIA have been very good to me this last year for parts or repairs so it isn't just me being a curmudgeon , Remington could use some help it seems like they have a fair enough structure they send emails and update when your gun gets there , but staff education of their products seems low.

NVScouter
10-24-2014, 10:20 AM
I understand the $1 quote thing, we use it a lot in my business. An openended quote is best put at $1 or well over the esitmated amount to open or hold a PO. After the work is done it gets finalized with the real ammount. But that way you have something on book and a way/authorization to charge people. Too many people send stuff in, get work, dont pay, then demand thier item back.

pietro
10-24-2014, 11:20 AM

H&R/NEF has a reason for not fitting CF rifle bbls to an SB1/Muzzleloader frame (and it's not because they could sell more SB2's) - it's because the SB1 frames are unhardened cast iron, and not steel, like the SB2.

I'm sure somebody will pipe up that they've installed a CF rifle bbl on a SB1 frame w/o issue, but FWIW, I'd hate to be behind the trigger if/when it eventually let go.

kywoodwrkr
10-24-2014, 11:35 AM
Actually-
This is extracted from H&R’s website:
http://www.hr1871.com/support/accessoryprogram.asp

357 Mag 22” can be installed on SB-1 Frames

Scope Rail

F357

$104.03

44 Mag 22” can be installed on SB-1 Frames

Scope Rail

F44M

$104.03

FWIW

bikerbeans
10-24-2014, 12:05 PM
Pete,

The complete 357M and 44M rifles that H&R sells are all on SB1 frames and have been for many years. I don't understand why they would not put a 357M or 44M barrel on your SB1 Huntsman frame, either barrel would fit no problem. PM Sent.

BB

NVScouter
10-24-2014, 12:06 PM
Yup SB1 is ML, pistol, and shotgun barrel compatable.

SSGOldfart
10-24-2014, 12:21 PM
I had called H&R they sent a call tag for my receiver , i gave it to the UPS man and it made it to the H&R facility , they sent me an email with a quote for 1 dollar to sign and send back

is this normal ? this seems like a huge waste of time

I was really expecting they would call me and tell me $104 for the 44 barrel $104 for the 357 barrel $25 to fit and $19 to ship it back and I would give them my card number and it would get done and be on it's way back

That is just postage for the tag it proves they have your receiver and it's proof in court if needed because something got lost

dualsport
10-24-2014, 12:39 PM
Maybe it's just a legal thing, turning a muzzle loader into a cartridge gun? I don't know, just wondering.

Janoosh
10-24-2014, 01:28 PM
The older H&R Huntsman has a different firing pin arrangement from the rest of the H&R line. The firing pin is a slanted, flat nosed pin that is set at an angle. The firing pin is very large and the firing pin hole would have to be bushed and a different firing pin used.
This is for older style Huntsman with the push in breech plug.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
10-24-2014, 04:43 PM
this is a 2004 model purchased in 2005 it has the same round firing pin any of their shotguns have and why the serial number came back ok when they searched it
in 2005 or 2006 they made their muzzle loader barrel 26 inches and rated it for more powder not that one needs any more or that 2 inches will burn very much more of it

I took advantage of them clearance out the 24 inch model that had nothing wrong with it
it has the thread in breach plug and 209 ignition

I think that they worry that someone sold it as a muzzle loader with no papers because there is no technical reason why it can't be fitted with a shotgun or pistol cartridge barrel

mine was however sold as a full firearm

thanks

Janoosh
10-24-2014, 05:47 PM
GREENCOUNTYPETE........Thank you for clearing that up for me.
I have two of the older type.

FergusonTO35
10-27-2014, 10:43 AM
I would like to get a .44 Magnum barrel for my SB-1 but I really wish they would drill it for sights instead of just a scope rail. I use the original front with Williams WGRS on my Huntsman and it works great!