PDA

View Full Version : Priming the 454

denul
10-15-2014, 10:58 PM
Hate to start yet another thread about this caliber , but I started shooting my FA 87 again after 15 years, this past weekend. Set up an older Dillon 1000, all seemed ok except for some resistance to priming with WSR primers, occasionally they would require more force and then seem to "pop" and drag into place instead of gliding smoothly.The primers were a bit tilted in the pocket; a small sliver of primer metal is produced when this happened, and when punched, they are damaged on one side. They do ignite the powder ( 27.5 of AA 4100, 280 gr MP cast HP) but I have survived one primer tube detonation, and don't like any thing but a smooth priming experience. I also felt that the higher end pressures in this caliber would be better contained by an undamaged primer. The same press seated small pistol primers in this and other calibers with no problems, and new Starline brass had fewer snags than new WW , or fired FA brass. I'm pretty sure I loaded this years ago on the 1050, so will try it next. Have a 550, but no shell plate for the 454. Just curious if anyone had any issues with priming this one.

High Desert Hunter
10-16-2014, 02:18 AM
Make sure the inside of the primer seating cup is clean, check the spring that holds your brass in place, both of these have caused me minor issues in the past.

Tatume
10-16-2014, 06:24 AM
Although I don't have a Dillon 1000, I do have an XL 650 and several 450/550 machines. The XL 650 has an adjustment to press the case into the shell plate at the priming station. This has the effect of centering the case over the priming ram. You should check that, for if they are not aligned it causes the problem you describe.

bobthenailer
10-16-2014, 07:13 AM
I use a Dillon 550 for reloading 454 casull , i have 2 different lot # of 500 each Starline brass and about 300 Winchester and 100 Magtech cases, i have used Fed, 100-sp ,200-sp mag, 205-sr, gm205m-sr match , and Rem sr BR and CCI 450 sr mag with no problems .

Perhaps Winchester primers ? but i have never had problems with them in sp or lp on my dillon with other calibers.
Perhaps you need to tweak or clean the primer arm adj a bit ?

contender1
10-16-2014, 09:01 AM
If it's been 15 years since you loaded this caliber,, a good cleaning of the press, dies, priming system etc would be where I'd start.

osteodoc08
10-16-2014, 10:58 AM
If it's been 15 years since you loaded this caliber,, a good cleaning of the press, dies, priming system etc would be where I'd start.

This right here.

I've had similar issues on both my late fathers RL550B and my Hornady LNL. I typically need to stop what I'm doing, clean it and make sure everythign is in time. Usually it is filthy and a slight timing issue that is often corrected by clearing out some spilled powder, shaved lead, etc. I typically try to clean my presses every few thousand rounds. It doesnt take that long and makes things go a lot smoother.

Cornbread
10-16-2014, 12:34 PM
Sounds like an equipment issue. Maybe yours just needs cleaning or adjustment like the others have suggested. I reload a lot of 454 but I do it on a Lyman turret press I have had since I was 14. FWIW I use CCI small rifle primers and have never had any issues. I use mainly starline brass.

denul
10-16-2014, 10:56 PM
Thanks to everyone who responded, and apologies for not being clearer in my description of the problem. All of the above advice is excellent and relevant. I had cleaned the 1000 thoroughly, and had also tried CCI 400 primers before I posted here, and that didn't help. The RL1000 uses a sliding primer bar to carry the primer over the punch. It is a very close copy of the Star design ( its direct predecessor) and similar to its successor, the Dillon 1050), and doesn't use a sliding cup and spring arrangement like the 550, or the Lyman or RCBS single stage or turret designs.)

The 1000 does use a bent shim to apply centering pressure to cases in the priming station, but mine was bent beyond repair when I got the machine, and has never been missed on this and another 1000, while loading a bunch of different cases over the years.The Star uses no such centering device at all, and all 3 of my Stars never hiccup seating any primers, including these. So I set up a Star, in 45 Colt, (except with a small primer setup); priming was no problem there, smooth as silk. Can't use the Star to reload because the 454 case won't clear the powder drop tube. But I knew then that primers and brass were OK.

Dug deeper into my RL 1000 manual, and there found a part description and its adjustment which I had not noticed before, on a cam that activates an angle piece that in turn moves the primer slide. I tried but cannot make close up photos to show this and it would probably take a video anyway to truly illustrate how that adjustment can influence primer seating. That piece was meant to be locked in with a nut, which was completely loose. It had to have been that way when I purchased the press, and was easy to adjust and then tighten in place.

It worked, and a short run of ten cases all went as smoothly as they did on the Star. I'm sure no expert on the RL1000, but feel more confident about it than before. Sorry i didn't look closer before posting, just needed some of you all to look over my shoulder and say "Keep after it!" This is one great website for the person who reloads alone, because here, you're not alone. Thanks again.

High Desert Hunter
10-16-2014, 11:20 PM
Cool, thanks for posting up the results, may save someone a headache someday.