PDA

View Full Version : 30-30 BFR loves cast boolits

Ramjet-SS
10-15-2014, 08:58 PM
I had mould made last fall for a 30-30 170 grain FP GC the mould drops right at 169-171 grains a very nice FP bullet I cast with 40% Lino to 60% plumbers lead.

The BFR is a 10.5" barrel I have Burris handgun scope mounted on it shooting this gun is real treat no recoil really but I achieved some nice velocities using Hornady Leverrevolution. 34.0 grains and a CCI Large Rifle primer the brass was new Hornady brass chamfered and trimmed to the recommended minimum length. I uniformed the primer pockets.

Over the Chronograph I had an average velocity of 1877 FPS with Std Deviation of 45.

I shot over sandbags at 75 yards and can tell you the gun is far more accurate than I am. I got a 5 shot group of 2.75". The gun is capable of better accuracy and I did not sort my bullets either.

This gun is fantastic no issues at all the cases drop from the cylinder with little effort and sometimes with no effort tip it up and rotate the cylinder and out they come.

I also read some potential for setback with this gun not one issue with that at all in fact the cylinder never bound up ever in about 450 rounds so far. I ordered a Holster from Pistol Packaging and am really fired up to use this setup on a Wisconsin whitetail this season.

Fit finish is great , accuracy and shoot ability awesome , I would rate this gun a 9.5 out of 10 the only reason for the .5 is it is big and those type of handguns are not for everyone.

30-30 easy to load for ammo will once again be lower cost and this gun loves the 170 grain FP CG boolit I cast. I might add I cast some these up with much softer alloy and ran them at 1500 FPS from this gun and it akin to shootings 38 special in felt recoil maybe even less. they printed pretty well but not as good as the full power ones. Fun just the same. No leading with either load.

35 shooter
10-15-2014, 11:42 PM
Wow! Nice report and sounds like a very nice handgun to take hunting. The reduced load sounds like a lot of fun with still quite a bit of punch.

pkie44
10-16-2014, 09:45 AM
BFR 30-30 has been on my "need" list for a while. :drinks:

Ramjet-SS
10-16-2014, 10:16 PM
Glad I could help.

Interesting I loaded and shot Nosler 170 gr Partition and the 160 FTX and still my Cast Boolit running 1800+ is the most accurate ............... life is good ...........life...is....good.

snowwolfe
10-16-2014, 11:57 PM
Is the BFR cylinder long enough to permit Spire point bullets to be loaded?

Ramjet-SS
10-17-2014, 11:06 PM
Absolutely plenty of room and I would think a 30-30 Ackly I proved would be easy and gain you about 5% more powder and gains in velocity. I am going to,load up some 190 grain cast from a RCBS mould my plan is try and eek 1800 FPS.

I loaded some 180 grain Accubond no issue plenty of room.