PDA

View Full Version : Unique Loads for 38 SPCL 148 gr HBWC loads

school of mines
10-15-2014, 08:51 PM
Will be using Unique with 148 gr HBWCs. What are some accurate loads to start with? I have load info, but would like to see what others have found to be the most accurate? I did a forum search but am heading in for the night shift and would like to some input.

Thanks for the help!

Low Budget Shooter
10-16-2014, 12:29 AM
I suppose you already know that HBWC are normally loaded with a fast-burning powder such as Bullseye rather than a medium-speed powder like Unique. But probably someone in this forum has tried it and and can report some level of success. LBS

aspangler
10-16-2014, 12:42 AM
2.7 gr BE. Very accurate in my gun. For defense in the house, seat it upside down. AWESOME!

Scharfschuetze
10-16-2014, 12:51 AM
Aim for a velocity of 700 to 800 fps with the HBWC boolits. Try 3 or 3.3 grains for about 800 fps depending on your revolver.

As noted above, if you have Bullseye or a similar fast powder, it is probably the better choice and that 2.7 grain of BE load is the "classic" wadcutter load.

RED333
10-16-2014, 06:40 AM
I cast some of them up last night, gona load them backwards over GreenDot.

dubber123
10-16-2014, 08:31 AM
I shot about 35,000 Hornady HBWC's in about a years time right after I began handloading. The Hornady's are a bit tougher than some of the very soft swaged boolits, and I shot them almost exclusively with Unique. My load was a good bit above published data, but was very accurate, as in sub 1" at 25 yds. Good luck.

Char-Gar
10-16-2014, 10:13 AM
Will be using Unique with 148 gr HBWCs. What are some accurate loads to start with? I have load info, but would like to see what others have found to be the most accurate? I did a forum search but am heading in for the night shift and would like to some input.

Thanks for the help!

A forum search will turn up lots of information on the subject. Most of it good and some of it not so good. I don't know your experience or knowledge level, but assuming nothing I would like to make you aware of a few things that apply to your area of interest.

1. Not all HBWCs are equal with the skirts varying in length and thickness.

2. Some HBWCs will blow off the skirts leaving them in the barrel as an obstruction if pushed much past 750 fps.

3. Best accuracy with HBWCs will be had in 38 Special wadcutter brass. A search will turn up information about this.

4. While Unique and others powders can be used, most satisfactory results will be with faster powders like Bulleye or 231.

Due to the potential risks (Numbers 1 and 2 above), and not knowing which bullet and velocity range your are seeking, I will not attempt to give you suggested load data. Too risky without more information.

school of mines
10-16-2014, 02:23 PM
Can't find BE in my area. Will go with starting load of Unique and see how it groups. Thanks for all the insight!

pjames32
10-16-2014, 06:03 PM
I've used Accurate #2 when I could not find BE. Used BE exclusively when I was shooting Bullseye competition.

rogerstg
10-17-2014, 06:22 PM
Can't find BE in my area. Will go with starting load of Unique and see how it groups. Thanks for all the insight!

If you can't find BE, look for Titegroup. IME the load data and characteristics are very close.

gwpercle
10-17-2014, 07:32 PM
Unique is just not one of the better powders for the soft HBWC 's. I tried for years. the best load I came up with was 4.4 grains Unique at approx. 874 fps with a Speer 148 gr. HBWC.
I was trying to use one powder for 38 spcl/ 357 mag. loading and Unique covered a lot of ground but light target loads were not in it's profile.
I broke down and bought 700X, then Bullseye and last some Red Dot...all of these work, burn, much better at the lower velocities.
Don't even try less than 4 grains of Unique, not enough pressure and that leaves unburned powder and erratic burning and not great accuracy. My best was 4.4 grains.
Hope this helps,
Gary