PDA

View Full Version : Trail Boss in Lee Pro Auto Disk charger on my new cast Turret press? Accessory disks?

Tallbald
10-15-2014, 01:42 AM
Happy to have received my new cast turret kit the other day. Just today able to start assembly, mounting it to a leather padded milled oak board, and making captured c-clamp holders for quick and easy attachment to our kitchen table. As to the kit, I now have the Pro Auto Disk powder measure set. From 1999 I have an older (not Pro) auto disk measure set and am wondering if I can use the disks from the older set with my new Pro Auto Disk set to do double disk settings that I read can be done with accessory disk sets. Reason being,my favorite powder for .38 Special, ,357 and .44 Magnum is Trail Boss, a bulky light doughnut shaped powder. I'm concerned that a single disk won't let me drop a larger-but-in-safe-range charge of Trail Boss for 200 grain cast round flat nose .44 Magnum loads. Anyone know here if the old and new disks are compatable? Or if Trail Boss will meter accurately in the Auto Disk charger? I searched here but only find a few references to my questions. I can of course use my usual Lee powder drop which has done very well for me with TB, but would like to have the option of using the Pro Auto Disk set-up.Thanks as always. Don.

Like (https://www.facebook.com/groups/608944419147601/#)

Bzcraig
10-15-2014, 02:05 AM
I can't address the old/new disk compatibility but I do use my Lee Turret press to load 38, 357, 30/30 using the double disk kit and Trail Boss. I would think if the old/new disks lock together and operate correctly it will work.

UNIQUEDOT
10-15-2014, 03:40 AM
Yes the disk are the same. I have not used trail boss in a while, but when I did use it I used it on the classic turret and pro auto disk without any problems, but I was using large cavities as I used it for 45 colt. I don't have any experience with it in smaller cavity disks. Using the turret press with the auto index feature does help to fill the smaller cavities with any flake powder though as it shakes it up pretty good!

tazman
10-15-2014, 07:13 AM
You can drop approx 7.2 grains of Trail Boss with the largest cavity on the Lee disk set. This should give you about 900fps with the 200gr boolit.
If you need more you will need the double disk hardware.

Tallbald
10-15-2014, 11:55 AM
Thanks to each of you folks. 7.2 grains of TB or thereabouts is plenty for the loads I hope to do in .4 Mag, .357 and .38 Special. Off topic, my Classic Cast Turret is not special or different from anyone else's I know. But it belongs to me and I'm so proud. I don't have a permanent reloading bench or area. My loving wife and best friend Penny urges me to continue all my loading in the warmth and comfort of our kitchen at our table. Last night I went to the shop and made a mounting plate of oak, and made capture devices for the top of two red C-clamps to the oak board. To protect our heavy duty workbench/kitchen table from the oak, clamps and cast iron of the press, I used thin scrap leather swatches contact cemented to the metal. My reloading cabinet is my repurposed rolling mechanics tool cabinet. Back when I was still able to work at gainful employment, I made a large heavy wood chest and mounted it on the cabinet. This houses bullets, casting equipment and large stuff that doesn't fit in the drawers. I can clamp the press at the end of my rollaround to store when not in use. I'll post photos when I get it together. Thanks again all. Don

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
10-15-2014, 01:49 PM
Don,

If you need a good reloading stand you can move around and use when the wife's got the kitchen table covered, go to Harbor Freight and look at their grinder stands. They are stamped steel, very stable (I have several.) and have a shelf. They're cheap and you can add extra weight to them just like the Lee stand. Here's a link:

http://www.harborfreight.com/universal-bench-grinder-stand-3184.html

They offer coupons to reduce the on sale price even further on such items. I picked two or three of these up at 25 dollars apiece. They're small enough you can put it in the garage or a closet when you're not using.

Tallbald
10-16-2014, 12:19 AM
Dave thanks for the information. I'll keep the stand in mind. Penny and I work really well together and are good at sharing the table. Tonight for example we pooed our efforts and made a baby shower "diaper cake" that looks like an elephant riding an old style Honda ATV trike. We cleared off the kitchen table and went to town. I'll have an organized reloading chest soon with everything in one spot. Don.