PDA

View Full Version : Go till you run out of gas?

Remmy4477
10-14-2014, 11:40 PM
Well it seems life keeps changing for me and the wife.

Were both in our late 40's. This last summer was awful for us. I lost my birth mother in April, and a uncle just a few weeks ago. We lost our home in a bad real estate deal a few months ago. So now were renting month to month.
Now it looks like both me and the wife's jobs are petering out. Not many friends, family's passed away or missing.

Were here in the Denver metro area, so fast paced anymore, everyone's in a hurry. Cost of housing is outrageous! Trying to find a place to go shooting outdoors now involves a long road trip!

So me and the wife are seriously thinking about packing everything in a U-haul and going till we run out of fuel, so to speak! I guess this is what you'd call a mid life crisis??

My kids are gone and almost grown up, not worried about a job as I can drive a truck anywhere. Money in the bank, good tires on the car and truck, everything we own is paid for.

Soo Where would you go??? I've been to Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, Utah and New Mexico, Utah was not too bad, Liked NM! Thinking about Arizona, or Nevada?

Would love to find a place with a slower pace, yet with some decent work and affordable housing, and close to a shooting range or open space to make some noise and smoke!

Go till you run out of gas! But where??

geargnasher
10-14-2014, 11:57 PM
In the years to come, being in the climate you prefer may be as important as anything. I love Texas, but you have to be tough to live in any part of it. I'd say the same for NM, plus it's a very poor state. If I had my 'druthers I'd live around 5k feet in a desterty area, pretty much anywhere in the Great Basin desert is nice if you can get your money running the roads. Lots of public land around that area, and the people are generally pretty decent, too. I'd stay east of California/Washington/Oregon and west of I-35. Just my dos centavos, you may like the coast, trees, or high population density more than I do. I wish you the best of luck with whatever you do.

Gear

nemesisenforcer
10-15-2014, 12:33 AM
Stay in Colorado. The Montrose valley is booming but still reasonable.

starmac
10-15-2014, 12:38 AM
Well I had just enough gas to get to the end of the road.

Lead Fred
10-15-2014, 02:09 AM
Dont come to washington, there will be gun confiscation here soon

The commie rule here

smokeywolf
10-15-2014, 06:41 AM
Generally speaking, wherever taxes are higher, gov't will likely be bigger and more oppressive than areas of lower overall taxation. America's government, commerce and industry has been exposed, farmed out and diluted by globalists to the point that not positioning one's self to be more self sustaining, to produce much of your own food, clothing and other basic essentials would be more than just a little naive.
My family will be moving into a life both allowing and requiring more independence and self reliance as soon as I get a little closer to filing for my official pension. Although I'm counting on my pension to get us started on our life of self sustainment and self reliance, we feel the need and would like to get to the point where, if push came to shove, we could survive with little or no cash income.

Advances in technology and transportation are allowing for the export of more skilled and semi-skilled American jobs than are being created. When employment figures are published and boast of new jobs created, those are not jobs that a man or woman can support their families on or even themselves. These "new" jobs are mostly low wage, part time jobs a college student might work while living with mom & dad.
For many in this Country, the ability to earn a consistent living is becoming somewhere between improbable and impossible.

If middle income jobs keep being sent out of the U.S. and the federal government keeps allowing criminal aliens to flow freely across our border to take low skill jobs there will be no consumers left to hold up the U.S. economy.

Without drastic changes that result in consumers regaining the buying power they had 30 or even just 20 years ago we're going to see an economic crash that will make "The Great Depression" look more like a speed bump.

If I were a truck driver I would be making a list of cities that are considered "shipping hubs". I would then take that list and add statistics like, property values, cost of living, overall tax burden, city & county politics, climate & geology (what grows well), topography

About 10 to 12 years ago I was looking into moving to Reno, NV. During my research I learned that Sparks, NV (just a few miles down the road) was a major shipping hub.

smokeywolf

brtelec
10-15-2014, 08:02 AM
I would either move to Nevada or Arizona. Definitely gun friendly, plenty of remote areas. I also have a job where I can live anywhere I want without worrying about the job market because I work out of state and fly back and forth. I am finding Arizona very much to my liking. Taxes are reasonable and since your kids are not in school, Arizona's crappy school system is not a factor.

Garyshome
10-15-2014, 08:43 AM
NC is the place to be!

Hamish
10-15-2014, 08:48 AM
I have family in the St. George area of Utah. SEVERAL firearms related and sporting goods related manufacturers, great shooting complexes, fishing,,,,,,,

ole 5 hole group
10-15-2014, 09:42 AM
Check your PM box.

Petrol & Powder
10-15-2014, 09:48 AM
I'd go where you both could find good work. It doesn't have to be a permanent move and two incomes would allow more savings for the future. Make your nest egg while you can, there will be time when you cannot. North Dakota is booming due to oil production, The research triangle area of North Carolina has proven to be somewhat recession proof, Lot's of industry is moving to the southeast to escape unions & high taxes. Going to a place that allows a lot of shooting but little money is something you can do when you retire. You have a ways to go before you reach that point but you don't have as much time to earn money as you did when you where 18. I'd make that decision on logic and earning potential more than emotion. Life is what you make of it and geography is only as important as you want it to be.

Moonie
10-15-2014, 10:27 AM
I'd move to NC but I was born and raised here...

brtelec
10-15-2014, 10:40 AM
NC is beautiful, but you need to have a job lined up or have a job like yours. My entire family is from NC. They have winter there, so it is not for me!

texasbilly
10-15-2014, 10:48 AM
Pennsylvania is still a "gun" state with lots of shooting ranges (trap, skeet, sporting clays, rifle, pistol, etc) good fishing and hunting, and vast acres of state game lands. Unemployment is low, and the state is not bankrupt like some liberal states. Taxes are high, but not the highest. Not a bad place to live and retire.

rockrat
10-15-2014, 11:18 AM
Nevada or Oklahoma. Lots of oil field jobs there in Oklahoma. Nice big oil/gas play West/Sw of OKC is going on now, and should be for the next 5-10yrs. Should'nt have any problem finding a job. Public hunting areas that you can also shoot on IIRC.

Uncompahgre valley (Grand junction to Ouray) would be OK. Slower pace, plenty of places to hunt/shoot. think our (Montrose)gun club has one of the best ranges in the state. Housing a bit high, but not like Denver. Might want to check on jobs though. Probably more in GJ than down here in Montrose.

snowwolfe
10-15-2014, 11:21 AM
Pa would be my last choice and I was born and raised there! Sales tax, state income tax, turnpike fees, high gas prices, terrible roads, etc.
Currently live in Colorado and both my wife and I HATE it here. Same as PA with sales tax, state income tax, and the most outrageous vehicle registration fee's I ever seen. Have to pay $500 a year for plates for her Toyota Camry.

On our short list of places we love are Tennessee (sales tax, no state income tax, and very low property tax) and Idaho. Don't know much about Idaho's economy but plenty of places to hunt.
We did live in Alaska for about 35 years and if you are able to afford the costs its a great place. Pretty much everything is expensive but if you have the cash to buy all the toys and enjoy the hunting and fishing it is a great place. Just plan on leaving a couple of times each winter to retain your sanity:)

Good luck in your search. Everyone has their own idea of the perfect place and hope you find yours. The best thing is if you don't like it just move again. We are counting down the days till the summer of 2016 so we can move out of this place.

lbaize3
10-15-2014, 01:15 PM
Anywhere along the Texas/New Mexico border...Better yet, look up Alpine, Texas....

starmac
10-15-2014, 02:41 PM
Alpine Tx, I think god only used that part of the country to hold the world together. lol Everybody has there own likes and dislikes as far as what part of the world they thing is great. lol Most states have pretty country and god awful country at least to my way of thinking. Somebody mentioned go where the money is and move to where you like upon retirement, this don't cut it in my way of thinking, I want to live my life in a place I like, and have always been able to make a living. I spent a lot of time working in Tx,Nm,Co, Ks,Ok,Ut,Nv and Az. All have some beautiful country, but if I had to make a choice out of them for a place to live, I would probably look very hard at Ut. You didn't mention what kind of trucking you prefer and that would make a difference too.

shooter2
10-15-2014, 02:55 PM
We moved to NW Arkansas 23 years ago and have not regretted it.

Bentonville is home to Walmart, the worlds largest corporation. Any company that deals with Walmart is required to have an office in the area. There is Low unemployment. The cost of living is reasonable. Yeah, there are taxes, but not overly bad. Housing is fairly reasonable in the area and rentals are available.

My BIL lives in SLC Utah and loves it. Jobs there also I think.

My favorite state is Montana, but the job market is iffy and it sounds like that would be your number one priority.

FWIW... and Good Luck!

geargnasher
10-15-2014, 04:26 PM
Alpine Tx, I think god only used that part of the country to hold the world together. lol Everybody has there own likes and dislikes as far as what part of the world they thing is great. lol Most states have pretty country and god awful country at least to my way of thinking. Somebody mentioned go where the money is and move to where you like upon retirement, this don't cut it in my way of thinking, I want to live my life in a place I like, and have always been able to make a living. I spent a lot of time working in Tx,Nm,Co, Ks,Ok,Ut,Nv and Az. All have some beautiful country, but if I had to make a choice out of them for a place to live, I would probably look very hard at Ut. You didn't mention what kind of trucking you prefer and that would make a difference too.

I'm one of the freaks who likes that part of Texas so much I could live there in an adobe hut forever. Marfa, Sanderson, all through there. I like the views, the dry, the heat, and the peace and quiet. Davis mountains are wonderful, too. I agree, why suffer out your working life and move where you like when you retire, for the future is always uncertain and one ought to try and live in a place they like NOW.

Gear

osteodoc08
10-15-2014, 04:31 PM
GA is not a bad place to be. I love my home state.

Bonz
10-15-2014, 04:40 PM
been here in NC for over 12 years now, kinda like it here. Downside, definitely hot & humid, bugs, pollen, etc and certainly have winters of some sort. I've always wanted to live in or near Houston TX, just looks like a fun place to live. My younger brother has lived there for many years and has no plans on moving.

Sweetpea
10-15-2014, 04:50 PM
I have family in the St. George area of Utah. SEVERAL firearms related and sporting goods related manufacturers, great shooting complexes, fishing,,,,,,,

Also several trucking companies, and numerous distribution centers in the area.

Come on down, the weathers fine!

flyer1
10-15-2014, 06:18 PM
I love the Alpine, Marfa and Sanderson area. They have a saying there
, if you want some money there you better bring it with you. Last I was in the area housing had gone way up. I would move therein a minute but the wife says no. We are looking at Granbury Tx.

leeggen
10-15-2014, 06:34 PM
I've lived in several States, In., Fl.,SC. and Tn. I believe Tn is just about heaven. I walk out the door and can hunt, shoot the target range, or grab the boat and go fishing in abou 10 minutes. Life hear is really good. Low property taxes and NO STATE TAXES. Close to many larger cities that have lots of trucking jobs. You can hunt your own land without buying a lic..
Hunting and fishing lic. is a whoe 36 dollars. Property is reasonable.
CD

Fishman
10-15-2014, 08:44 PM
Property taxes in Texas are pretty bad imho, although no state income tax.

reloader28
10-15-2014, 10:52 PM
We have swings from -33* in winter to quite a few days over 100* in summer, but I've clocked 135mph wind here at the house. Granted, that dont happen everywhere in Wy.

I'm 43 and I've been talking to the family of moving to the far north myself. Some of the family wants to go, some dont.
We're already 1/2 - 3/4 self sustaining already, it wouldnt take much to move completely off grid and as long as we have enough ground to raise a few livestock, we'd be set. I've looked a little at property already. The bad thing is moving most of our stuff. We would have to be able to replace some of it cheap to not move it. Sawmill, dozer, skid steer, stuff like that. My cousin is a hunting trucker, that would help.

We aint had it as bad as Remmy, we still shoot at our own 1000yd range next to the house, but the commy liberal neighbors that have been moving in to the community the last few years are starting to get thick and the feuds have started and we've had a few serious crime problems, too.
I think if it dont get any worse than it is, I would'nt hesitate to stay as we are settled in good with 35 acres bordering BLM. If it gets worse, I'm ready to go. Lucky for us the wind keeps alotta people from moving in.

I say, if your thinking of going, go now. If you think like we do, move here. This area aint bad. If you try and change it, please stay out.

MT Gianni
10-15-2014, 11:42 PM
Do a hard assessment of your skill sets. Determine what you and your wife are employable as. Look where the best fit is for everything. You may be the best heating repairman in the world but relocating to Key West will not get you what you need. Finding a place where you can each enjoy your hobbies is not going to work if you cannot eat and house yourselves there.

smokeywolf
10-16-2014, 12:31 AM
Saw a nice little piece of land with log home in the Davis Mountains, but it had a homeowner's assassination (mis-spelling intentional) that prohibited hunting on your own property.

smokeywolf

Cornbread
10-16-2014, 12:13 PM
My kids are gone and almost grown up, not worried about a job as I can drive a truck anywhere. Money in the bank, good tires on the car and truck, everything we own is paid for.

Go to North Dakota to the oil fields, if you can drive commercial truck you should be able to get a job making a killer wage within a week of showing up. Move yourself and your wife to an area out of the oilfield like Rubgy etc. buy a nice house for cheap and then just commute down to the oil fields for work. It's a longer drive but that will let you find cheap housing and land and a wage/job that pays more than most tech jobs pay currently. I have several friends working there now and they are desperate for experienced drivers and my buddies are making over 100K a year there. Long hours but the pay is insane. Want less government than even North Dakota? Do the same thing but live on the Montana side, hunting is better and so is everything gun related, but you might have to drive further if you want to live in a larger town.

winchester85
10-16-2014, 09:07 PM
when i saw the title of the thread i thought by run out of gas you meant, until YOU run out of gas.

seems to be a somewhat common thought these days, moving to somewhere where you can just be, without someone telling you what to do on your own land. i keep thinking of whittling down all that i have, hiring someone to fly me in about 100 miles from anybody or anything, getting dropped off and staying alive. not quite as easy at this time of year, not that it would be easy at all. but starting in the winter would make it extra hard. but, if you survived the winter you would most likely continue to survive as long as you wanted to.

Ehaver
10-17-2014, 10:15 PM
Souther Colorad. Less people, costs a whole lot less money to live

MaryB
10-18-2014, 12:20 AM
If my back was better I would head for Alaska for sure, nephew called tonight told me to come on up if things get bad. He has a nice 600 acre chunk of land now on a dead end road and 3 neighbors on the same road in. maybe 20 families in a 40 mile radius. If my back was fixed and healed I would have jumped at it but as I sit all I can do is cook, can, reload, teach school to his kids.

possom813
10-18-2014, 12:49 AM
Come to Texas, somewhere around Palestine. You've got prisons there that pay decent and Sanderson Farms just started up there and are paying around 15-20 per hour

Idaho Sharpshooter
10-18-2014, 01:38 AM
I moved to SW Idaho in summer of 1978. Haven't found a reason to even look elsewhere...

Rich

twc1964
10-18-2014, 12:52 PM
Heck, come to texas, in the north texas area you can find several ranges, some indoor and a few outdoor ranges also. Gas industry is alwYs hiring and from what i hear pay quite well. Housing is affordable compared to many areas in the country. Check it out, you might like it.

Nicholas
10-19-2014, 08:15 PM
Take a look at Missouri. Whatever weather you like, you will experience it here within a couple of years. Good hunting and fishing opportunities and an excellent Department of Conservation. The legislature is gun friendly, so far.

BethelHntr
10-19-2014, 09:22 PM
Idaho or Montana, Both states are beautiful and friendly to people that appreciate their freedoms.

Love Life
10-19-2014, 09:30 PM
Nevada. Please leave all previous "How we did it back home" at the stateline.

trails4u
10-22-2014, 12:30 AM
What....no votes for South Carolina?? If you don't mind a bit of heat and humidity in the summer time...it's heaven! Upstate is booming with jobs....coast is doing pretty good too. Taxes are reasonable, real estate affordable, good hunting, plenty of shooting opportunities... I rather like it here! :)

starmac
10-22-2014, 12:34 AM
South Carolina???? I advize staying somewhere in between and well away from both coasts. I consider the Mighty mississippi the east coast. lol

trails4u
10-22-2014, 12:47 AM
Starmac....that's hurtful! Most conservative, god-lovin', kind hearted place I've ever lived.... Most pleasant, if you don't mind a bit of warm, swampy weather from time to time! ;)

starmac
10-22-2014, 12:52 AM
I know I know, the devil made me do it. lol

snowwolfe
10-22-2014, 12:55 AM
If my back was better I would head for Alaska for sure, nephew called tonight told me to come on up if things get bad. He has a nice 600 acre chunk of land now on a dead end road and 3 neighbors on the same road in. maybe 20 families in a 40 mile radius. If my back was fixed and healed I would have jumped at it but as I sit all I can do is cook, can, reload, teach school to his kids.

Holy cow! I lived in Alaska for almost 35 years and never knew anyone who owned a chunk of land that big up there.
Where is the land located?

starmac
10-22-2014, 01:30 AM
Only one area I know of that there would be any reason to own that much land.

wlc
10-22-2014, 01:46 AM
Holy cow! I lived in Alaska for almost 35 years and never knew anyone who owned a chunk of land that big up there.

I've got a friend that owns a section (640ac) and there are several folks in Delta that own in the thousands of acres. You just lived down here where most of the people are and everyone thinks a horse property is an acre and a half lot....

starmac
10-22-2014, 03:13 AM
The exact area I am talking about. I know at least one over there that owns or at least controls quite a bit.

Digger
10-22-2014, 07:36 AM
Nevada. Please leave all previous "How we did it back home" at the stateline.

A big "10-4" on that one Love Life !!!! , thanks

snowwolfe
10-22-2014, 10:50 AM
Forgot all about the Delta barley guys and their bison's:).

Harter66
10-22-2014, 10:51 AM
Nevada is home for me . You can live it as fast or slow as you want . Avoid the I15,93,95 merge area also known as Clark County, Lost Wages,Sin City and my personal favorite Hell ,and it's a pretty friendly place. The guide of cheap houses /high groceries, high cost houses /cheap groceries is in full display here. I live in an area with dozens of homes available every day for sale in the 60-80s and in 10 minutes your out in the desert to shoot. Shell and Chevron are 3.99 today last Friday I paid 3.10 75 miles east in Fallon. We have a few jobs here but there's no middle job it's great pay w / full pack or you won't starve but you ain't getting ahead.
Fallon has jobs and housing from 110 up 20 min to free open range shooting and all the essentials. Reno has basic houses at 140 gas is hovering in the 3.30s at the moment and has everything in scale from mom &pop to Cabela's and international flights,35 events every year,but it's 35 miles to the range.

quilbilly
10-22-2014, 01:43 PM
If we didn't have this piece of paradise here on the Olympic Peninsula, I would be in Nevada as well but never on the south end even though I did so much of my growing up there. North and eastern Nevada are the best and have some of the nicest people around. As Love Life said, leave your "we did it this way back …." at the state line.

onceabull
10-22-2014, 05:38 PM
I grew up in No.Calif. and would likely still be there but for "change"..However, a fellow with a patented claim on the upper reaches of the Rubicon,or No.Fork of the American,and enuff $ to pay a packer to shop and deliver necessities would be darn close to paradise on this old earth. Forks of Salmon might do,too, if one just can't live sans motor vehicle(s)... Onceabull

MaryB
10-22-2014, 10:27 PM
Not sure where he is, I have not been up to visit his new place. He was in Anchorage and hated it. I will have to get his address from him. He loves to hunt and they never buy meat, usually have plenty of moose and bear in the freezer. He sent me 5 pounds of moose jerky last year for Christmas and that was some good stuff.

He went in on the land with his brother and sister, they plan on moving up there to retire in 20-30 years and for now will add a cabin on it for vacations. Came with a decent log cabin my Nephew is living in but the rest is pretty wild. I know it is in the interior along a feeder to the Yukon is all. He said no gold worth speaking of so far from panning.

Ajax
10-28-2014, 04:30 AM
South East Texas to me is as close to heaven as one can get with their soul in the vessel. It has great hunting and fishing, fairly low cost housing and plenty of job opportunities if your willing to work. Where I live at is the Big Thicket federal preserve. Hunting on public land is no issue as long as you will go for registration.

Andy

gmsharps
10-28-2014, 05:42 AM
Sometimes the grass looks greener on the other side. Not saying to stay or go but look closely at what you have and do a unbiased eval and do you really need to go. Are the challenges you face fixable or not. Just sayin

gmsharps