PDA

View Full Version : Any pine tar finish experience?

Merick
10-14-2014, 07:54 PM
After redoing my XC skis I tried some pine tar on some smaller wood finishing projects. Supposedly it is pretty moisture resilient but I haven't put it to the test.

For clarification you coat whatever with pine tar (available in the horse care isle) and heat it with a torch or heat gun until it bubbles and goes into the wood, then wipe down the excess. Straight pine tar on skis, I mixed in some BLO for other experiments. It is a dark like an old oil finish but not glossy and not the redness of BLO.

I'd be interested to hear any experiences with it as a finish or if I am the only one to have fooled with this stuff.

Janoosh
10-14-2014, 08:28 PM
Is this the finish on Finn Nagants.? I believe pine tar and turpentine. It holds up well.

Merick
10-14-2014, 08:33 PM
I think so. The can I got is green and has a mule on it I think, anyhow about the consistency of molasses and I never saw a need to cut it with turpentine.

Also it smells great!

7Acres
10-15-2014, 12:31 PM
I think so. The can I got is green and has a mule on it I think, anyhow about the consistency of molasses and I never saw a need to cut it with turpentine.

Also it smells great!

This sounds like a good idea. I'm going to try it out!