PDA

View Full Version : Ruger SP 101 help

454gene
10-14-2014, 06:51 PM
I have a Ruger SP 101 in 38 spcl I want to smooth up a bit, The wolff spring pack arrived from brownells with 9 LB trigger return spring and 9,10 and 12lb hammer springs
The two areas I am going to lightly polish are the hammer spring strut and the double action areas of the hammer and trigger.
Any additional info would be appreciated keeping in mind this will be carry gun.

cabezaverde
10-14-2014, 06:59 PM
PM me your email address. I have a PDF file on smoothing them up.

454gene
10-18-2014, 09:15 PM
Finished the action job on the ruger 101 following the instructions from cabezaverde and the results are most pleasing. The DA trigger pull is 10 lbs and the SA is 3.25 lbs.
I stumbled a little when the trigger wouldn't reset but in the insructions they stated that the nose of trigger plunger had to be really smooth so I stoned and polished a little more and the issue was resolved.
A very satisfying project thanks again cabezaverde!

TCLouis
10-19-2014, 11:22 PM
I put a lightweight spring in my SRH and it was great til I tried it in cold weather. It took the next power level up to pop primers in cold weather.

Yeah, surprised me too!

seaboltm
10-20-2014, 11:02 AM
I have never had luck with the lightest weight Wolf hammer spring in any Ruger. Always had to go heavier. If this is a pistol you carry for self defense, the factory weight should probably stay installed for reliability.

454gene
10-20-2014, 08:41 PM
I started with the 9lb hammer spring but the hammer looked slow. Switched to the 12lb and the hammer seemed to "snap" like the stock hammer spring.
DA probably a little heavier as I didn't add the weight of the plastic bucket that contained the lead ingots used to measure DA trigger pull

Petrol & Powder
10-20-2014, 09:11 PM
I went with the 10lb mainspring and the 8lb trigger spring and that worked just fine, YMMV. The SP101's are solid guns but generally a little rough internally from the factory. Some careful polishing and a spring set does wonders. The 10lb mainspring is absolutely reliable for me. Any mainspring less than 10lbs and I would get occasional misfires, so 10lbs is the floor for me.
A 9lb trigger reset spring would probably be fine and give a little faster reset than an 8lb.