PDA

View Full Version : Broke my press

OnceFired
10-14-2014, 01:04 AM
Hey all

I was on a roll. After having all the various issues I have documented here getting my reloading & casting going, I had finally hit a stride.

I was 94 rounds into this session. Only 4 needed to be pulled due to slightly loose projectiles. Roughly a 4% failure rate at this point, even with my reloading bench giving up the ghost. Keep in mind I was getting 20-25% failure rate previously. That poor table won't hold together much longer.

And then I had something even more fun happen. Nothing went bang - but something snapped.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3947/15346153668_80dabb50ee_n.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/po63Qm)

The design of the press makes that handle tend to unscrew a lot. I re-tighten it by hand every time before I put an upstroke into it. But, it broke clean & crisp right in the middle of the threads. What's odd is the foam-like texture of the core of the handle. I haven't seen steel look like that before.

This press was given to me by my father to learn on. It's a CH press, and they apparently have a lifetime warranty on it, so I put in a support request with them.

If it's not under warranty, I might have just clarified what I want for Christmas. :)

.22-10-45
10-14-2014, 01:39 AM
At work, a 3 handled vise handle broke like that..if you can find someone with a lathe..its an easy fix..face off broken threads to new surface..drill & tap for original thread...use headless socket set-screw..lock-tite in handle portion. This will be stronger than original.

triggerhappy243
10-14-2014, 04:06 AM
I have not heard the words C and H spoken in 30 years. they still in business?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
10-14-2014, 07:56 AM
I have not heard the words C and H spoken in 30 years. they still in business? C&H was bought out by 4D and then combined to make CH4D. They're not only still in business, but doing quite well by all accounts.

Wayne Smith
10-14-2014, 08:03 AM
Dave Davidson is CH4D. Give him a call. If he still has parts ( a good bet) he will set you up. If you call in the evening be prepared for a chat. He can be a talkative guy!

3006guns
10-14-2014, 08:05 AM
Breaking at the threads is a common failure......that's where steel or plastic pipe usually lets go, at the thread root where the metal is thinner. It's the result of fatigue from repeated cycles or a sudden sideways stress that exceeds the metal's strength.

Repair should be easy. Get that broken piece out of the press first. If you don't have the tools, any auto mechanic that has removed a broken stud should be able to help. If CH4D doesn't have a replacement handle a new one can be made on a lathe in a matter of minutes. You might consider some Loktite on the threads of the new handle......it'll stop that annoying loosening.

pworley1
10-14-2014, 08:21 AM
Even if CH will not repair if for you, a new handle is an easy fix.

r1kk1
10-14-2014, 08:29 AM
I don't recognize the press linkage which CH is it?

take care

r1kk1

44Vaquero
10-14-2014, 01:39 PM
r1kk1,

It's that laid back C-Frame some were Red, his happens to be a Gray. The name escapes me at the moment.

Char-Gar
10-14-2014, 02:24 PM
I can't be positive without the piece in my hand, but I suspect that the handle is 5/8 inch, turned down to 1/2 and threaded 1/2 NF. This is a common press handle configuration and should be easy to replace or make.

CastingFool
10-14-2014, 05:17 PM
FWIW, if the handle was only tightened by hand, you may be able to remove the broken piece by using a sharp chisel and tapping lightly, just make sure you're going the correct direction. If std. threads, tap it so the stub turns to the left.

bangerjim
10-14-2014, 06:23 PM
Perfect example why everyone should have a metal lathe and a milling machine OR....... a local friend that has a metal lathe and a milling machine! :drinks:

banger

Jim_P
10-14-2014, 07:27 PM
I've got an old handle off a Rock Chucker. If it'll fit, you can have it for postage. No nut with it though.

country gent
10-14-2014, 07:39 PM
I have seen that Foam look in broken steel parts its caused by metal fatiuge and happens from stress. A new handle can be made easily. Drilling and tapping a bolt in may hold for awhile but the wall around the bolt will be thin and give quickly. Better to have a new one turned up as it will be solid. Several things to specify are a sharp under cut corner where the handle and stub come together. A radious here gives a false tight on the radious rather than on the shoulder. A solid fit on the threads. A good grade of steel ( 4140, 8620). Things to consider if possible is going to 3/4" rod stock as this will give a bigger shoulder to seat on. Locking on the shoulder of the handle takes alot of possible play out of the joint here making it much more solid.

gwpercle
10-14-2014, 07:52 PM
Dave will take care of you. Darn nice folks over at CH4D, I have an old Eagle Cobra press that was missing two vital parts, couldn't find those parts anywhere. Called them , nice lady answered the phone and they had just what I needed, wasn't even a CH press, but they got the parts, mailed them to me for about $2.00 and didn't even act like I was bothering them with such a paltry order.
They were so nice , I made another order later for a few things I needed just so they could make at least a few dollars off me. American company to boot.
Call them.

r1kk1
10-14-2014, 08:29 PM
r1kk1,

It's that laid back C-Frame some were Red, his happens to be a Gray. The name escapes me at the moment.

Now I remember.

thanks vaquero!

r1kk1

Hardcast416taylor
10-15-2014, 02:03 PM
I used an "Old Plumbers" trick to stop a handle from continually loosening up thru using it. I wrapped teflon tape on the threads and screwed the handle back in, hasn`t loosen up in about the 10 years since I did this fix.Robert

Chuck_ls
10-15-2014, 10:15 PM
I checked my CH press this afternoon and it is a 5/8" rod threaded 1/2"-20, National Fine Thread.
Chuck.

Dan Cash
10-15-2014, 10:23 PM
Low Tech fix for your press: get handle end out of link, get 1 to 1 1/2 inch grade 8 machine bolt with matching threads and a 12 inch or so pipe nipple that will fit over the head of the bolt. Have pipe welded to bolt, install and reload. My Herter's broke like yours back about 1960. Still using the fabricated replacement.

OnceFired
10-18-2014, 12:06 AM
I spoke to a woman named Beth at CH4D today, as Dave was out of the office this week, I believe.

They have narrowed the press down to a 201, 202 or maybe 204. They have the handle as well as a grip in stock. The only real question is whether it's about $22 or next to nothing to get it. $10-12 each for parts + shipping.

Will wait to hear final info on Monday. Nice people for sure.

OF

WyrTwister
10-26-2014, 07:31 AM
I made a press handle from a tire tool . The steel was plenty strong enough .

God bless
Wyr

Pressman
10-27-2014, 09:43 AM
1/2 inch thread handles are prone to break at the shoulder. Lyman Spartan presses are breaking now. A friend has all the work he wants making replacements for Lyman.
RCBS had the same problem with the JR2 press. Upsizing the thread to 9/16 solved the problem and created the JR3.
Ken

OnceFired
11-01-2014, 12:53 PM
I finally got my replacement handle & grip yesterday. Out the door with shipping was $27.

The old handle only had about 1/2" to 3/4" of threading where the handle mated with the press. The replacement is about 1.5" worth. Threading it all the way on arranges the handle so it's not just putting the tip into the press. I'm thinking it *must* be stronger that way, since less force can be applied based on the different fulcrum point.

As for the existing broken handle, I had to extricate the sheared piece out of the receiving threads on the press. What a pain that was! No luck using multiple different types of pliers, likely because of the way it sheared there wasn't much surface area to grab. I ended up having to drill all the way through the thing, and even then the pliers didn't help a bit at that point. I had to drive a punch into the newly drilled hole, then tap on the punch with my rubber mallet a bunch to get it to start rotating out of its home. I guess when it sheared off, it jammed in the threading pretty good. The threads didn't seem damaged though, and the new one spiralled right in there like a champ.

I have everything assembled again. Now I have to adjust it all. Between the broken press and the fact that I just built the new bench, I'm certain it's all out of whack.

OF

mdi
11-01-2014, 01:07 PM
Me & Bubba were thinkin' 'bout a new handle...

Get a 1/2 bolt from the hardware store. Get a length of 1/2 pipe. Cut the head off the bolt. Slip the bolt into the pipe. If ya kin weld, weld it in place. Screw yer new handle into the press and fix up sum ammo. It'll work temporarily at least...:redneck:

country gent
11-01-2014, 01:31 PM
We used to remove broken threads several ways at work. Vise grips or pliers if you could get a bite on them. But buggering up the stub and not getting it meant more work getting back to a usable surface. The most used was a prick punch and hammer. make a punch mark on the edge and tap in it angled to rotate bolt out, sometimes working back and fort is nesecary to free up the bolt, with a little practice this meathod works very well and quickly. Drill stub out, this was done undersize and ussyally with a left hand drill ( alot of times the drill would grab and the thread back out. If not then hole was drilled and a easy out used to turn out the thread stub. Some welders could weld a pin to the broken bolt and then turn it out also. For very touchy we hand allen electrodes made for edm and would burn a allen socket into the broken bolt and turn out with allen wrench. On the 1/2" stub you had if at surface or slightly above a cuttoff wheel in a dremel tool cuts a nice slot for a flat svrew driver also.

troyboy
11-03-2014, 09:54 AM
Ya or the old stand by of drilling an appropriate sized hole followed by an easy out.

Pinsnscrews
11-04-2014, 09:46 PM
I a case like this, I would buy the handle (yes, the OP did this, just saying what I would do) to support small business. If Titan or Lee offered a shorter arm and knob for the roller handle on the turret press, I would order the item from them. not becauee I don't have time, but because it helps small business.

s1120
11-09-2014, 09:40 AM
As was said the best way to get stubs like that out are a lefthand drill bit. if you don't have any, buy them. They are awesome!!!

JSnover
11-09-2014, 09:53 AM
I a case like this, I would buy the handle (yes, the OP did this, just saying what I would do) to support small business. If Titan or Lee offered a shorter arm and knob for the roller handle on the turret press, I would order the item from them. not becauee I don't have time, but because it helps small business.
Same here. The manufacturer needs to eat, just like I do. If a new part can't be had or I can't part with $27 then I'm off to the scrap bin to make one.

Three44s
11-10-2014, 01:03 AM
Left hand drills are great when they work ....... but not always.

Easy outs around here are called hard outs .......

If you are lucky, and have a bit of stub on a larger size broken threaded shank sticking above grade, you are better off not wasting your time chewing it off with vise grips and instead welding an appropriate sized nut to the broken stud and turning it out that way.

Now, for the nasty ones:

If you have a open back to your piece: Take and drill it through and through. Get your easy out and drive it in. Tap it side to side (gently as they are hard and will snap off it you get too rough) and remove it ........ drive it in and tap it out again a second time to make sure you have GOOD serrations for your broken thread extractor to grab into.

What you are doing is creating the corresponding teeth for the easy out to bite into after you conduct the next steps.

For the next thing you will need is a oxy/acy. torch. Use an appropriate sized heating tip that you can heat up the broken stud by way of the hole you drilled clear through. Have water handy.

Heat the broken stud to as hot as you can get it ..... up to yellow if possible. Do this two or three times and each time you get things hot ......... douse it with water. Re-heat and then water it down.

What you are doing is expanding the broken stud into the base metal it's stuck in and then hitting it with water to shrink it more than it would by just air cooling.

Besides, you don't want to expand your base metal ...... just the broken stud with the hole you drilled in it. It will expand to the center and as it shrinks, it will back away from the threaded area where it's stuck. Such treatment also raises cob with the rust that's locking your piece in.

The reason it is better to set your serrations into the broken and hollowed out broken stud is because as you water quench the stud you are making it harder than hadies and if you wait to set your extractor after you've over hardened the piece you are trying to remove, you'll likely not get a "bite" with it. It will be nearly as hard as a file and the extractor will just skate over it and not dig in.

There are two oils I really like for tough jobs such as the above:

Kroil

or a high sulphur thread cutting oil

Either one will "run towards heat" like nothing I have ever seen.

Don't waste your time with SiliKroil ...... it runs away from heat.

You likely want to heat you base piece some now to expand it away from the broken stud ... so it's important to have an oil that is not afraid of heat.

Hope you never get into such a nasty situation.

And sometimes the above is still not enough ..... believe it or not.

There, we use the proverbial "gas wrench". After establishing a hole clear through, we use the torch carefully and actually blow the broken piece out and away from the threads. The base material does not heat up to cutting temp at precisely the same time the broken stud does. It takes a steady hand and a good eye and reflexes but it does work.

You may wonder what the $%@#% sort of stuff would be this much "fun"? Well, the toughest stuff like this is usually found on Bulldozer undercarriages when the large cap screws that hold the track rollers on the track frame break off when you are replacing or rebuilding track rollers.

Nice, big, dirty, rusty stuff.

Rewarding though!

Best regards

Three 44s

s1120
11-11-2014, 07:11 AM
Ive been in that boat three44's!! decades of working on old cars, and tractors will do that. Ive resorted to playing dentist with a carbide burr to grind out bolts before... never fun!!!

country gent
11-11-2014, 09:02 AM
We had several tricks with left hand drills that helped also. One was to dull its cutting edges down so it cut hard and gripped on the lands more. This you feed hard and the increased cutting pressure did make a diffrence. The other in soft materials was A higher lead angle feed hard so it would grab while cutting. emeber to hold on and be ready when the drill grabs and the bolt breaks loose it backing out right now. Ever see a lathe carrige move when threading? You need to keep the pressure on and drill straiht and true when it walks out.