PDA

View Full Version : Permanent Flat Black Front Sight.

insanelupus
10-13-2014, 10:58 PM
I like the shape of my Ruger Super Blackhawk front sight for packing. However, for shooting the ramp front sight gets polished from holster wear. Hate to go to a patridge front sight because they can hang up in a holster. On the range I will soot it with a lighter improving sight picture.

Aside from paint (wears off) has anyone found a solution to this issue? Anyone manufacturing drop in replacements with a beveled face on the sight, like a sourdough minus the gold insert?

Inout appreciated.

Mk42gunner
10-13-2014, 11:16 PM
I made a front sight blade for a S&W Model 25-2 so I could shoot 230 grain ball to point of aim.

I blued it with either Birchwood Casey or Outers cold blue; while it didn't come out completely black, it was a dull enough blue that it worked well for getting a sight picture. How it would have looked after carrying in a holster, I do not know; it was a range gun for me at the time and it pretty much lived in a hard case, unless it was getting shot.

Robert

44man
10-14-2014, 09:37 AM
Nothing! We smoked sights with a carbide smoker shooting IHMSA. We hated a shiny sight or any with plastic inserts. Glow at the sight is real bad. I hate a ramp sight and make mine undercut.
I hate the SRH and S&W front sights. That red plastic belongs where the sun don't shine.
Ruger makes undercut front sites and an easy change if the site is screwed on the barrel. Not best for quick draw.

Silver Jack Hammer
10-14-2014, 09:56 AM
I know what you mean about the sights getting polished from holster wear. Drives me nuts. I took a file to the front sight of my SBH. Started by filing the face of the front sight while using the file to cut good serrations across the face. The job was done on one Saturday afternoon while sitting on my front porch with the dog supporting me and the cat supervising me. Then I just cold blued the finished product. It worked great, now I have a nice clean front sight with sharp crisp edges. The Ruger serrations on my re-blued 3 screw were are too shallow and there were too many lines per inch. I cut half the lines per inch with sharp crisp edges. Now the serrations on my SBH are like an early 70's Smith K frame ramp front sight, but the important thing is the edges of the front sight are sharp and crisp.