PDA

View Full Version : American Derringer in 10mm Auto

Hunter
10-13-2014, 10:16 PM
I finally got this beast reviewed and with video proving we shot this thing.
I appreciate your feedback as always.

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a535/rangehotdotcom/American%20Derringer/RHcom-2_zpsd5a55524.jpg (http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/rangehotdotcom/media/American%20Derringer/RHcom-2_zpsd5a55524.jpg.html)

http://rangehot.com/american-derringer-10mm-auto-biting-last-resort/

35 shooter
10-14-2014, 12:55 AM
Neat little derringer. I've got the bond arms 45/410 derringer and love it. Looked like yours was a handfull in 10mm.

Combat Diver
10-14-2014, 10:42 AM
Nice, I got one of the M7 UltraLightweight ADC Derringers in .380 auto back in the mid 90s, weight is 7 ozs. Never had any issues with it. Only problem was that I give it to my sister around 98'.

CD

Hunter
10-14-2014, 07:08 PM
Looked like yours was a handfull in 10mm.

Yes sir it was.
I appreciate the feedback my friends. What are you all's thoughts on a derringer as a defensive handgun, when concealability is paramount.

376Steyr
10-14-2014, 07:14 PM
IIRC, Jeff Cooper related an incident where the unexpected blast alone of a .357 Magnum derringer was surprising enough to allow the shooter (not Cooper, to be clear) to make his escape from his assailants. Make of that what you will.

Bzcraig
10-14-2014, 08:02 PM
I like the 10mm round a lot, but having said that, my manberries aren't big enough to want to shoot that derringer. I'll stick to my 9.5oz P32 in my pocket.

Hunter
10-14-2014, 09:06 PM
IIRC, Jeff Cooper related an incident where the unexpected blast alone of a .357 Magnum derringer was surprising enough to allow the shooter (not Cooper, to be clear) to make his escape from his assailants. Make of that what you will.

That makes sense. I can see the logic behind that as the muzzle blast was pretty impressive. Thoughts on the 10mm Derringer over say a Ruger LCP?

g.man10mm
10-14-2014, 09:49 PM
Despite my affection for all things 10mm, I use an LCP when the situation demands very discreet carry. It's light, fast, accurate within 10 yards, and 7 rounds of OK provides more options than 2 rounds of awesome.

Hunter
10-15-2014, 12:07 AM
Despite my affection for all things 10mm, I use an LCP when the situation demands very discreet carry. It's light, fast, accurate within 10 yards, and 7 rounds of OK provides more options than 2 rounds of awesome.

I tend to agree with you but I am looking for justification to buy the test sample. Any other ideas? :D

g.man10mm
10-15-2014, 12:26 AM
I tend to agree with you but I am looking for justification to buy the test sample. Any other ideas? :D

When all else fails, "because it's a 10mm" has worked for me more times than I'd care to admit. Beats "bear defense at a dinner party" I guess.

Hunter
10-15-2014, 12:31 AM
When all else fails, "because it's a 10mm" has worked for me more times than I'd care to admit. Beats "bear defense at a dinner party" I guess.
I am a 10mm Auto junky myself and have been trying to justify buying the test gun even though it is not really practical. I think the 10mm excuse is good enough.

dubber123
10-15-2014, 05:18 PM
I would love a Derringer, I just love the looks. The fact it really isn't a good choice as a SD gun has kept me from getting one. I'm sure I will, but I doubt I'll ever carry it. Almost any other platform works better. A single action with almost no grip, poor sights, and only 2 shots is hard to rationalize. I'm not a huge 9mm fan, but I have always thought it was especially well suited to a Derringer, and might be my caliber of choice.

big bore 99
10-15-2014, 05:44 PM
I have the American Deringer in .45LC/.410. I agree, they are quite a handful. One note though- always have the hammer at half cock when loading and closing. I've read that if you slap it closed fast, there's a chance of a round going off, due to the firing pin sticking out. Some ammo companys are doing a buckshot load for it.
They are an awsome piece with only one real use, but I imagine they serve that purpose well.

JSnover
10-15-2014, 05:53 PM
If above all, it must be small, then there's your answer...

big bore 99
10-15-2014, 06:19 PM
It's small only in the pocket or hand. It makes a big hole. Anywhere close and the muzzle flash and powder burns can be intimidating, to say the least.
With guns, motorcycles and hot rods, there is no substitute for cubic inches.

35 shooter
10-15-2014, 09:24 PM
Hunter it's a 10mm...go for it, that's all the excuse you need to get the test gun! Plus the derringers are too much fun and once you get the hang of shooting them, i have found they're more accurate than most folks think.
I finally found a boolit that doesn't tumble or yaw from my Bond Arms 45/410 derringer and have total confidence in it.
I bought it for an all around survival type arm for the woods and four legged critters but now have confidence for any situation with it. I can't wait to get a set of fully rifled bbls. in 45 colt for it.

Combat Diver
10-15-2014, 10:59 PM
Guess you could also shoot .40 S&W for a reduce load/availiblity.

CD

nickE10mm
10-20-2014, 01:11 AM
I must get one!!

Mohillbilly
10-25-2014, 09:38 AM
My American Derringer is an Alaskan Survival model slab side four inch . .45Colt / .410 lower and .45-70 Government upper and the grips cannot be made large enough to handle that kind of power . Beeeelieve me 300 gr Winchester loads kill on one end and maim on the other .. Always use the hammer block safety .....

RED333
10-25-2014, 11:45 AM
I am getting a same in 38 SP, gona give it to my wife, the Derringer is a "get off me pistol" it is what it is.
I carry a 25ACP in my pocket now as a "get off me pistol".
10mm is another I just might pick up for me.:-o

Pinsnscrews
10-26-2014, 06:17 AM
Red333 said it best. The Derringer is literally a "Get Off Me" gun. A 10mm at that range is going to be extremely effective. As a GOM gun, I want Horsepower. If I need that second shot to stop the man on top of me, I have other problems to deal with. 5 more rounds is not going to make a difference. The idea of a derringer is Point 'Physical Contact' Blank range. I am not going to rely on point shooting skills to effectively use a derringer.

Dan Cash
10-26-2014, 08:47 AM
Yes sir it was.
I appreciate the feedback my friends. What are you all's thoughts on a derringer as a defensive handgun, when concealability is paramount.

There are small auto pistols that, while not as powerful, offer 7 to 9 shots and are no larger than this derringer. The old Colt Government .380 and the current little SIG rendention of the same come to mind. Such would be my choice over the derringer.

Hunter
10-26-2014, 09:33 PM
There are small auto pistols that, while not as powerful, offer 7 to 9 shots and are no larger than this derringer. The old Colt Government .380 and the current little SIG rendention of the same come to mind. Such would be my choice over the derringer.

This is my frame of mind as well. Though I love the 10mm Auto and I do like the little derringer, 2 rounds just seems not quite enough considering what a slow reload.
I have one of the old Colt Mustangs Plus and with good .380 Auto defensive rounds it is not something I want to be hit with. With that said, Pinsnscrews makes a very valid point of the amount of energy at the muzzle of this handgun and it's usage.
I have carried it a few times in addition to my primary carry gun and it does carry nice.

RED333
10-26-2014, 10:45 PM
Here is my new "get off me gun".

Hunter
10-26-2014, 11:18 PM
Here is my new "get off me gun".

I already love it.
Caliber?

Combat Diver
10-26-2014, 11:49 PM
Looks like .38 Special

CD

35 shooter
10-27-2014, 01:09 AM
One feature i like on the American is the half cock, but loading has been mentioned several times here. One thing i like about the Bond Arms is the release lever is under the thumb for a right hand shooter and doesn't have much travel to open the bbls.
Still slow for loading in a tight spot though i suppose, but it seems quicker to me.
On the Bond you do have to move the safety manually but it does have the hammer block if the safety's not on.
I like em both....there's just something about a derringer and i carry mine on each range trip regardless what else i may be shooting. They're just too much fun!

RED333
10-27-2014, 06:32 AM
Looks like .38 Special

CD

Yes, the glare makes it hard to see.

Mohillbilly
10-27-2014, 07:54 AM
The thing about the American is if the hammer is down it is like an old Colt , the firing pin is resting solid on a live primer . Always keep the safety on as it is the hammer block . to shoot is only a matter of cocking the hammer and trigger release . I don't much like the idea of loading a .45 Colt or .410 round on the bottom barrel , and a .45-70 on top and closing the barrels to see which will slam fire with out the breach being closed and secured . ALWAYS use the safety , even when loading .

Hunter
11-05-2014, 10:25 PM
After several emails on the American Derringer 10mm Auto asking about ballistic performance, I have updated the review to include 5 rounds shot into ballistic gel with chart and photographs
http://rangehot.com/american-derringer-10mm-auto-biting-last-resort/