PDA

View Full Version : Iver Johnson Target Sealed 8

saz
10-13-2014, 10:23 AM
Gentleman,
I was at one of the Cabelas in Denver this weekend seeing some things that I have not seen in quite a while. Primers and Powder on the shelves! So I thought this may not be a wasted trip after all. So I went over and looked through the used pistol case and right on top I saw an old Iver Johnson Target Sealed 8. I hadn't seen one since I was a kid, and I kinda overlooked it at first. Then I had the guy pull it out of the case for me, and as soon as it was in my hands I had to have it. She was in good condition, a little wear on the bluing but the stocks were in very good shape and the lockwork was very tight and crisp. $120 and it was mine out the door!

Where do I find the age of the gun? I have looked all over the internet trying to find a serial number guide and maybe a little history behind them, but so far all I can seem to find is that they were made from 1932 til 1958. Is that right? Anyone have a little more insight on this thing?

Mk42gunner
10-13-2014, 12:25 PM
How's your google-fu this morning? I didn't find much when I searched. Other than that I don't really know of a single website that has the info you desire.

I'd tell you to go buy a lottery ticket, but I think you used up all of you luck by getting a gun out of Cabella's without seriously overpaying for it. At least it seems like every gun I look at in the various ones I've been in is overpriced by at least three times, given the condition of said guns.

Robert

fishnbob
10-13-2014, 01:53 PM
I picked up one from my local gs a coupla years ago for $90. It's not in great shape, rust here & there. I keep it on my ATV with shotshells in it for snakes around the homeplace.

saz
10-13-2014, 02:58 PM
Haha! The Cabelas I was at will deal on used guns, and they are usually pretty reasonable. Third gun I have bought from them.

pietro
10-13-2014, 07:59 PM
Gentleman,

Where do I find the age of the gun?
I have looked all over the internet trying to find a serial number guide and maybe a little history behind them, but so far all I can seem to find is that they were made from 1932 til 1958.
Is that right? Anyone have a little more insight on this thing ?

The Sealed 8 was made from 1931-1957.

That, and the SN dating information for IJ's is AFAIK available only in one place - the late Mr. Bill Goforth's Iver Johnson reference book (where the BBGV got it's info).

http://www.gunshowbooks.com/cgi-bin/webc.exe/st_prod.html?p_prodid=GS37205

saz
10-13-2014, 10:33 PM
The Sealed 8 was made from 1931-1957.

That, and the SN dating information for IJ's is AFAIK available only in one place - the late Mr. Bill Goforth's Iver Johnson reference book (where the BBGV got it's info).

http://www.gunshowbooks.com/cgi-bin/webc.exe/st_prod.html?p_prodid=GS37205

Thanks for the info! Does anyone on here have a copy of the book they could look up the number for me? Not to sound like too much of a cheap a$$, but I really dont want to spend $50 on a book for a $120 handgun. Any help?

scaevola
10-14-2014, 01:11 AM
Nice find at a good price. I let go of the one I had a couple of years ago. Shoot it a bunch and enjoy it.

desi23
10-15-2014, 10:39 PM
Most older Iver Johnson's only have part of the serial exposed. Remove the grip and look on the frame to see if the number (usually with a letter prefix) is there. Post that and I will dig out the book and look it up.

saz
10-16-2014, 11:51 AM
Ok great! I should be able to get at it tomorrow.

Mike Kerr
10-24-2014, 01:10 AM
So did you ever find out the year of manufacture? Inquiring minds want to know.

saz
10-28-2014, 07:32 PM
Well I have been trying to get the grip screw out and have boogered the head twice. She does NOT want to come out so I cannot get at the full serial number. I really don't want to tear that thing up, any ideas?

Wayne Smith
10-29-2014, 01:22 PM
First, do you have a screwdriver that fits the screw slot? If not get the Brownells set. Grind/file one to fit if none of them do. Second, do you have a drill press? If just the screwdriver won't work chuck the bit in the drill press and use that pressure to hold the bit in the screw slot as you turn the chuck by hand.

desi23
11-04-2014, 08:44 PM
[QUOTE=saz;2985943]Well I have been trying to get the grip screw out and have boogered the head twice. She does NOT want to come out so I cannot get at the full serial number. I really don't want to tear that thing up, any ideas?
You should definetly get a screwdriver that fits the screw properly, too easy to tear he head up with one that doesn't fit right.

Without the number all I can give you info wise is this: first model Sealed 8's had octagon barrels and were produced from 1932 till the end of 1941. Second model guns appeared in 1946, had round barrels and were produced until sometime in 1954. This is for the standard Target Sealed 8, solid fame revolver.