PDA

View Full Version : Bad experience with accuracy

prs
10-12-2014, 10:07 PM
This three years ago, maybe four. Gamo Extreme Hunter in .177 and with their nice big scope and all of that jazz. Danged thing would not consistently hit a pie plate at 100 feet. About a 3 foot pattern at 150 feet, so in no way could one ethically hunt small game with it. Not an inexpensive rifle, but a terrible choice. I think the flaw was the top break design, how could it be accurate if the barrel was not solid and repeatable in the receiver shot after shot. One of my only and very few return for credit items in my lifetime. My old Benjamin Blue streak would outshoot that *** any day of the year. Is my experience typical or did I get a lemon?

prs

melloairman
10-12-2014, 10:35 PM
This three years ago, maybe four. Gamo Extreme Hunter in .177 and with their nice big scope and all of that jazz. Danged thing would not consistently hit a pie plate at 100 feet. About a 3 foot pattern at 150 feet, so in no way could one ethically hunt small game with it. Not an inexpensive rifle, but a terrible choice. I think the flaw was the top break design, how could it be accurate if the barrel was not solid and repeatable in the receiver shot after shot. One of my only and very few return for credit items in my lifetime. My old Benjamin Blue streak would outshoot that *** any day of the year. Is my experience typical or did I get a lemon?

prs
That lock up has to be tight and right for sure . And you have to learn how to hold them as well. I had a Wards 140 in .22 as a kid and still have it 50 plus years later . Sold all my springer's and from the first one I wanted the accuracy and pleasure of shooting that I had with my 140 .So I rebuilt it sold all my springer's . And moved on to pcp which lead me into buying more big bores than I should have . But I do enjoy their accuracy . And casting for them as well . Marvin

Silverboolit
10-12-2014, 10:35 PM
Barrel break springers are some of the most accurate of all airguns. Gamo has good products, but my guess is a bad scope.

That being said, there are a myrid of other issues as well for poor performance. Pellet choice, trigger, barrel lockup, stock screws, bad barrel, dirty barrel, bad scope mounts, etc. Maybe you just got a lemon.

IT is too bad that you had such a poor experience with Gamo. IF you are still in the game for an air gun, try a different brand. Don't go too cheap, and enjoy the sport.

GARD72977
10-13-2014, 09:35 PM
The easiest way to have a good experience with a springer is to - Buy a high end German springer. - Buy a gun that has 11-12fpe. Use a high end scope.

RedHawk357Mag
10-14-2014, 10:16 AM
I have a Diana 34 that is a truly nice rifle. Pellet choice is very important. Some of those pba and lite cheaper pellets just never worked well. Some of the air gun outfits sell sampler tins of pellets. Highly recommended. If I ever hit lotto; there is a Benjamin /Crossman /sheridian Maurder

rking22
10-14-2014, 06:09 PM
Trying to drive a 177 pellet above 900fps or so with a springer is rarely going to result in a pleasurable experience. The guns are harsh, hold sensitive,heavy, and generally not very accurate. I mean accurate as in under 1/2 inch at 35 yards. That is what I have come to expect from mine, Theoben in .20(Classic a break barrel) RWS 34 177,Beaman R1 in 177 and 22, Beaman R9 in 20(shot well with the 177 barrel also) a CZ in 177 (cost 50$ new). No matter how fast the 177 pellet is going (850 up to 100000000fps) it is still limited to small game at 45-50 yards. At 859 to 900, you can actually hit something.
All good advice above,I like springers, but they require experience to shoot well. don't try sandbags, a 1/4 inch gun becomes a 3 in gun! I also like Sheridans, and precharge, and co2. Consider what you like but a springer that shoots as well as a disco will coa twice as much as the Discovery. If you just want to plink and shoot for fun, look hard at the Crossman 2240 and 2250..especially the custom shop ones. Don't give up on them, just turn your back on the typical fixation on velocity. A 12 to 14 footlb springer is a joy to shoot and enerally very accurate.

W.R.Buchanan
10-21-2014, 07:32 PM
There was something wrong with that gun.

I have two Break Barrel guns, a .177 Weihrauch HW35 and a .22 Beeman R1 also made by Weihrauch. Both of these guns are extremely accurate. I've had the HW35 since 1976 and it has been shot a lot and never needed anything but some oil occasionally.

I paid $189 in 1976 for the HW35, and $400 used for the R1 Last year, and they are $650+ new, now. Both of these guns will easily outlast me and their accuracy is never in question.

The Gamo's are not on that level, however they are not junk either and lots of people shoot them and the accuracy is not usually that bad. Even the Cheap German Break Barrel guns will shoot you eyes out.

Before you kiss off the Break Barrel design for good you might try to find someone who owns a nicer gun and shoot it.

you'll be surprised.

Another thing,,, For most all intents and purposes even the highest power guns are still only good for small targets up to 50 yards, despite what you may have heard. 150 feet is 50 yards!

Randy

prs
10-30-2014, 09:21 PM
I thank you all! I was hoping to have another air rifle that was capable of consistently knocking hickory nuts out of the trees, said trees within 35 yards or less from the back porch. The Blue Streak Benjamin has no trouble with that and it is now factory iron sights. A hulled hickory nut is very similar to squirrel head, and what we used to use to practice for hunting. I no longer hunt squirrel as I do not favor eating them, but shooting the nuts is fun for the whole family. That particular Gamo would have been just plain luck to hit a cantaloupe at that distance. I had/have three different pellet designs for it, no big difference. May have been the scope. Off hand not better than off bags. Thanks again!

prs

Billthomas
11-05-2014, 09:46 PM
It pays to check the barrel pivot screw for proper adjustment, they are made to be tensioned so that a cocked barrel will not fall of its own weight then locked in place, that removes any side play. But not so tight that the barrel detent doesn't work.