PDA

View Full Version : Fernwood Gun Supply 18 cal Key Gun

birch
10-12-2014, 03:18 PM

I just went to a little gun show in our area and came across this little keygun kit. It came in the original box with instructions on how to build. It is still in styrofoam wrapped in celophane. There is only one mention of it on "the net".

The instructions say to load with 2-3 grains FFF and a BB or Pellet. The hammer falls on paper caps as the primer.

I am just wondering if anyone has seen one of these key guns. I am wondering if it is worth trying to put together or should I just put it in the safe as a neat old novelty. Any and all info is appreciated.

mazo kid
10-12-2014, 03:31 PM
I have never seen one of those kits, but Dixie Gun Works sells them. Or they used to.

Garyshome
10-12-2014, 06:01 PM
Hard to find a picture.

birch
10-12-2014, 06:35 PM
I found the dixie gun kit, but that one requires drilling and a whole bunch of finishing, and it also is a match lock. this one has a hamer and sear with cast trigger and hammer. It also has some fine finish work and silver soldering. The manual says it was made in 1976. I will try to post a pic soon.

birch
10-12-2014, 08:12 PM
Here it is!

42tom
01-09-2016, 03:06 AM
Just to let you know I have one of these as well. I left mine in the box never opened it! How much did yours cost you? I have instructions with mine also and the instructions were made in 1976. And it explains how to take a 22 shell use the powder from it and then carve down the 22 to a 17 caliber. Any info or worth that you have on it I would like to know as well!

satmantoo
12-28-2016, 01:52 PM

I just went to a little gun show in our area and came across this little keygun kit. It came in the original box with instructions on how to build. It is still in styrofoam wrapped in celophane. There is only one mention of it on "the net".

The instructions say to load with 2-3 grains FFF and a BB or Pellet. The hammer falls on paper caps as the primer.

I am just wondering if anyone has seen one of these key guns. I am wondering if it is worth trying to put together or should I just put it in the safe as a neat old novelty. Any and all info is appreciated.
I thought I was looking at a picture of my gun. I have the same unopened with instructions. bought at a flee market in Ohio about 30 years ago. maybe someday my grandkids will enjoy it.

FergusonTO35
12-28-2016, 05:09 PM
Wow, a nineteenth century AOW!