PDA

View Full Version : unfinished hi-wall action price?

flounderman
10-12-2014, 01:31 PM
I have a friend that machines his own high-wall actions and he asked me what I thought a high-wall action, unfinished enough that it wouldn't qualify as a rifle for legal purposes, would sell for. Just how unfinished would have to be determined, but possibly some holes left undrilled, but started. I thought I would throw the question on here and let the experts tell me what could reasonably be expected. Making each piece by hand, all machined, is labor intensive. No castings or forgings like the commercial actions. Would there be a demand?

pietro
10-12-2014, 02:05 PM

I can see a demand for a fully-machined & heat-treated Hi-Wall falling block action, with only the barrel seating hole not drilled & tapped - especially if it were to be made available in the $300/$400 range.

It would probably be best if the maker fully built, barreled & proof-tested a completed rifle, sans wood, before he offered others F/S, though.

MT Chambers
10-12-2014, 04:33 PM
I believe that complete actions, in the white, go for $900 and up, just check the C. Sharps site.

MT Chambers
10-12-2014, 04:42 PM
Sorry, my info was old, but for example; complete Hiwall actions(in the white) are $1195 at C. Sharps and CPA single shot actions( Stevens 441/2 copies) are over $1100 as well, I'm not sure about the demand for these because, at double the price you have a complete rifle, blued, finished wood etc.

.45Cole
10-12-2014, 05:41 PM
I would love an action and then do the wood myself, but winny (Miroku) 1885 rifles are in the 1300-1700 price range. He would have to out-compete winny and c sharps

oldred
10-12-2014, 05:55 PM
I have built two highwalls from scratch a full sized version in 45-90 and a scaled down "baby" version in 22 WMR, unless he is talking about a CNC production set-up these things are so labor intensive I seriously doubt there would be a profitable market for them. Both of the finished ones that I have were machined from 4140HT (pre-hardened 4140 alloy, 28-32 RC) but the one I am working on now (my last one) is using 8620 that can be color cased, this machines a lot easier and a bit faster but the time and effort involved is simply to much to make a profit on if I was building them to sell which I am not.

John Taylor
10-13-2014, 10:32 PM
Part of the problem with selling finished actions is that about half the price goes to pay insurance ,tax and license.

Billthomas
10-15-2014, 04:45 PM
I, m Guilty, it was a question I already knew the answer to, but I was having so much fun with single shots I thought it might be practical to spread the wealth so to speak. Numbers 11 and 12 high walls are in the process now, I may be in a rut, but there are no surprises with an old favorite. Try something like the British Shirley and the high wall looks easier. Thanks for the opinions though, now I can get back on track. Bill T.

Chill Wills
10-15-2014, 06:23 PM
Cast action in 8620
Much to do to complete it.:cool:

oldred
10-15-2014, 06:38 PM
I, m Guilty, it was a question I already knew the answer to, but I was having so much fun with single shots I thought it might be practical to spread the wealth so to speak. Numbers 11 and 12 high walls are in the process now, I may be in a rut, but there are no surprises with an old favorite. Try something like the British Shirley and the high wall looks easier. Thanks for the opinions though, now I can get back on track. Bill T.

Welcome to the forum!

How about some pics and a bit of discussion about those highwalls? It's great to see someone else building from scratch and I would love to see some of the particulars of those builds, I am only on my third one as of now and it most likely will be the last highwall since I now have another project in mind. If there's anything I like better than shooting guns it's tinkering with them and I really enjoy seeing what others are building and swapping ideas.

oldred
10-15-2014, 07:03 PM
Cast action in 8620
Much to do to complete it.:cool:

You're right about the amount of work to finish one of those casting kits and after considering what was involved I just decided to start from scratch, it's MUCH cheaper that way! When I considered the amount of set up time to finish the raw parts I really didn't see all that much difference between that and finishing rough cut parts from bar stock, the time it takes to rough cut the parts was not bad at all and I honestly don't see where "most" of the project was much more difficult or time consuming than starting with the castings kit. Key word there being "most"! Because of the mortise for the breech block and a few nearly inaccessible areas inside the receiver it turns out that a couple of seemingly small jobs made the project quite a bit more time consuming than if I had of used the kit, I probably get asked about the breech block mortise more than anything else but honestly I think the extractor and extractor pocket inside the receiver were a lot more complicated, still it's very much doable for someone willing to spend the time on it.

Those kits are the way to go unless the cost is prohibitive and back when I started my first rifle they simply weren't available that I could find, however I have been told that excellent castings can now be found.

Billthomas
10-15-2014, 08:25 PM
I am as close to computer illiterate as you can be, that's why I usually do not post, just read the threads. I have come to know Flounderman, we usually talk once a week, and I do a few bolts for him, other than that its hard to find people with the same interests where I live. I have some pics of projects that I have done, some good, others so so so far I have completed 2 Hepburns, 10 high walls, 2 borchardts, 44 1\2 Stevens,Farquarson, a side hammer Sharps, 3 british Shirleys, some pistols and am struggling with a dreamt up action. You can tell from the activity that I am not a youngster anymore, I'll try to post some pics, wish me luck. Thanks, Bill T.

oldred
10-15-2014, 09:13 PM
The pics aren't hard to do, shucks even I can do it! Sounds as if you have been busy and those pics would be of great interest if you can find the time to put them up, here are the two I have finished but the third one is still in the beginning stages. It will be a 45-90 like the big one in that pic but it will have a shorter and much lighter barrel, I plan to keep this one under 10 lbs.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh269/dwmiracle/bhw3_zps1e94bd31.jpg

The next project I have in mind might be a classic case of "biting off more than I can chew" but I got to thinking that even as much as I like single shots the Marlin 1895 I have would be kind of cute scaled down with an octagon barrel and chambered in 32 H&R, I have been looking at the action and I don't see anything insurmountable but still it might be a bigger job than I am anticipating.

Billthomas
10-16-2014, 12:21 PM
119334 I'm working at it, wow am I thick headed

Billthomas
10-16-2014, 12:22 PM
119335 It worked again

Billthomas
10-16-2014, 12:39 PM
119336 oops, air gun, still struggling with the uploads, sorry

oldred
10-16-2014, 03:28 PM
Well if those pics are any indication of what's to come, and I'm sure they are, this is going to be real interesting! :mrgreen:

Billthomas
10-16-2014, 03:37 PM
I can't get the hang of this, sorry Bill T.

Billthomas
10-16-2014, 04:58 PM
That is very special craftsmanship, they are beautiful, wish I had the discipline, Thanks for the view, Bill T.

Chill Wills
10-16-2014, 07:26 PM
Wow! Bill Thomas..... That is great. Is the Hepburn from casting or built up from raw blocks? Are they complete at this time? as in complete rifles finished? Pics?
Did you use Remington square thread for the barrel - receiver thread? I do not remember what that size is. Very impressive. And darn sure would be for my little machine shop; seeing what you and oldred are doing is really inspiring!
Sorry about going overboard. I need to be on the 12 step Rem. Hepburn - stop buying everyone I find - program!:grin:

GhostHawk
10-16-2014, 09:11 PM
Wow, watching this one with great interest.

Really really nice to see what a real craftsman can do.

Billthomas
10-17-2014, 02:36 PM
Thanks, I had a great opportunity to access a Hepburn in need of attention and the owner responded by letting me make steel templates of the action and parts. I have built two now, a field style and a target style both in 45-70, I'm having some problems posting pics and have a few pics to share, maybe some one can help? Bill T.

Billthomas
10-17-2014, 02:47 PM
I tried to reply and the message is in the ether some where, I'll try again I was lucky enough to have access to an original Hebburn and the owner let me make steel templates of the parts. I have made two copies so far, a target and a field type, both in 45-70, they are machined from bar stock in 8620, cased and or rust blued. I'm having a few problems posting, I lose the post or can't do the pics, I do have a lot of pics of projects and the process, maybe some one can help? Thanks Bill T.

oldred
10-17-2014, 03:13 PM
Bill check your PMs. Don't get discouraged it will seem easy once you get used to it, every person here had problems of one sort or the other with the internet when they started out, it's fun once you get the hang of it. This place is very friendly and you will quickly make a lot of friends, I know for a fact lots of folks are anxious to see what you have to offer and will welcome your input so I am sure you are going to like it here.