PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 55 powder measure conversion to brass for the powder hopper

smoked turkey
10-12-2014, 12:45 AM
I have used my Lyman No 55 powder measure to dispense black powder for my recent Black Powder Cartridge Reloading. Mine has the usual clear Plexiglas powder hopper and seems to work fine. However I think the brass looks nice and I would like to replace the Plexiglas with the more correct brass hopper. I was wondering if a brass tube is available to do this short of ordering a replacement from Lyman. I would really like to have their black powder measure but I think I should be able to retrofit my #55 without buying a new one. Anyone have any experience along these lines? Please let me know if I should have posted this under Black Powder reloading and I will gladly pull this thread and re post elsewhere. Thanks.

fred2892
10-12-2014, 02:09 AM
Is it just the hopper that is different? I would have thought the rotor would have to be different too? Brass? Aluminium?

adrians
10-12-2014, 07:11 AM
I think I got mine from Buffalo Arms but not 100% sure but check them out, it was around 30 bucks.
I don't load BP but I just had to get rid of the nasty looking plastic one.

bedbugbilly
10-12-2014, 08:19 AM
Excuse my ignorance as I don't have one of those measures (would like one at some time!) - so I'm just curious. What is the measurement on the brass tube that would be needed? Is it a standard size? I'm just wondering if a person could find (might be easier said than done these days) a piece of brass tubing from something like a 1 1/4 or 1 1/2" plumbing drop tube for a drain or similar that would work? Or is the ID/OD larger than that?

adrians
10-12-2014, 01:36 PM
Excuse my ignorance as I don't have one of those measures (would like one at some time!) - so I'm just curious. What is the measurement on the brass tube that would be needed? Is it a standard size? I'm just wondering if a person could find (might be easier said than done these days) a piece of brass tubing from something like a 1 1/4 or 1 1/2" plumbing drop tube for a drain or similar that would work? Or is the ID/OD larger than that?

The hopper on mine is 2" od x 1-7/8" id x 9", I guess the id could be smaller with a thicker guage tube ,just less room for powder that's all.

I'm willing to bet there is some 2" brass tubing out there ,somewhere.:twisted:

smoked turkey
10-12-2014, 11:05 PM
fred2892 I do not know all the in and outs of one of the blackpowder measures. I do think the main difference is in the powder hopper. The internal powder cylinder sleeve on mine is brass as is the two top slider adjustment bars. They do sit on a steel cyclinder that slips inside the brass cylinder sleeve. I think the main thing here is that the slot the powder drops through is brass on brass. I measured my sleeve and as adrians says the hopper is 2" od and the internal is 1.875". According to my thread pitch gauge the male threads on the hopper that screws into the main body of the measure is 24tpi. I do think that the plumbing drop tube is a great idea. Matching the threads may be a little iffy. I will do some checking on that angle. If no luck then the Buffalo Arms one might be just the ticket. I am with adrians in that the plastic one leaves a lot to be desired. After that I will have to come up with a drop tube arrangement for the holy black powder compression.

Wayne Smith
10-13-2014, 05:24 PM
My BP measure has an aluminum tube. Wish it was brass.