PDA

View Full Version : 14 gauge round ball?

Mark Daiute
10-11-2014, 10:54 PM
what do you use for a roundball in a 14 gauge? Who's got the mold?

Thanks,

Mark

fouronesix
10-12-2014, 11:26 AM
I don't have a 14 ga, so who knows. Also assume it's a smoothbore ML? Two common choices: .690 which should be very close to bore size and the RCBS .678 which would may work for patching. Beyond that, have to wait for someone who shoots a 14 ga.

Mark Daiute
10-12-2014, 11:53 AM
I don't have a 14 ga, so who knows. Also assume it's a smoothbore ML? Two common choices: .690 which should be very close to bore size and the RCBS .678 which would may work for patching. Beyond that, have to wait for someone who shoots a 14 ga.

Thanks for the response. We are dealing with an 1840's era double shotgun with back action locks. I found a chart that states the 14 gauge is .693. I'll be making paper cartridges. The RCBS at .678 sounds doable. Thanks again,

Mark

fouronesix
10-12-2014, 02:45 PM
Good, was wondering what variety gun. I have an original M1842 69 cal smoothbore musket that would be the closest to what you have. My bore diameter is right at .690. You could measure your bore diameter but likely it will be somewhere in the .693+/- range.

I found that getting accuracy out of these with roundball is iffy at best. I've stayed with a charge of between 45-50 gr of FF blackpowder because of the older gun/steel.

In my .690 bore, the .662 ball required a thin variety of ticking patch, while the .678 ball required a very thin muslin patch. I did try a paper patch on a .678 roundball and it did fine- about comparable accuracy to the thin muslin patch. I also tried a few combinations of wads and cards with #6 shot and #4 buck. As a shotgun it is good to about 25 yds.

My accuracy is what it is and I would say my musket is a 25 yard gun as both a round ball shooter and as a shotgun.

I'd think the paper cartridge should work fine and would be equivalent to what was used in the mid-1800s. I also know that these 69 cal (and maybe 14 ga) smoothbores were also shot without any patch for windage and used a bare, 69 cal ball. Never tried it though, with one of the problems being it would require some sort of thin wad over the top of the ball to keep it in place.

Mark Daiute
10-12-2014, 04:49 PM
Good, was wondering what variety gun. I have an original M1842 69 cal smoothbore musket that would be the closest to what you have. My bore diameter is right at .690. You could measure your bore diameter but likely it will be somewhere in the .693+/- range.

I found that getting accuracy out of these with roundball is iffy at best. I've stayed with a charge of between 45-50 gr of FF blackpowder because of the older gun/steel.

In my .690 bore, the .662 ball required a thin variety of ticking patch, while the .678 ball required a very thin muslin patch. I did try a paper patch on a .678 roundball and it did fine- about comparable accuracy to the thin muslin patch. I also tried a few combinations of wads and cards with #6 shot and #4 buck. As a shotgun it is good to about 25 yds.

My accuracy is what it is and I would say my musket is a 25 yard gun as both a round ball shooter and as a shotgun.

I'd think the paper cartridge should work fine and would be equivalent to what was used in the mid-1800s. I also know that these 69 cal (and maybe 14 ga) smoothbores were also shot without any patch for windage and used a bare, 69 cal ball. Never tried it though, with one of the problems being it would require some sort of thin wad over the top of the ball to keep it in place.

Thank you for responding!

drago9900
10-13-2014, 07:12 AM
Jeff Tanner in the UK will make any size you want, they are brass and fit large Lyman handles but no spru cutter.

Coffeecup
10-13-2014, 11:31 PM
A friend has one, uses a .645" ball patched with denim. The mould is an old scissors-type mould, came with the gun. Right barrel shoots minute-of-paper-plate at 50 yards, not sure where the left hits. But, it is a heckuva bird gun.

In contrast, my 11 gauge double shoots a .735" ball and a much heavier charge of powder, and gives me 6" groups at 50 yards (5 shots each barrel). I've wanted a double for shooting ball since reading Baird's comments when I was a kid.