PDA

View Full Version : Paint and body questions.

starmac
10-11-2014, 06:20 PM
I know we have at least a couple of body men on here, and was wondering what is the best method or product to take the glue residue left behind when removing signs and lettering from a body.

bandsmoyer
10-11-2014, 06:47 PM
kerosene or WD40

Goatwhiskers
10-11-2014, 06:49 PM
I made the mistake of removing mine with a razor blade scraper, left the glue residue which I never have entirely gotten off. I was told later that I should have used a heat gun on low which would have softened the glue and made it turn loose. Too soon old, too late smart. GW

Sweetpea
10-11-2014, 06:55 PM
Product called Acrysol, will take the stink off of manure...

oldred
10-11-2014, 07:42 PM
Several good products out there made just for the purpose, 3M and Kleenstrip being among the best but kind of pricey unless you have a lot of adhesive to remove. Of course it's had to beat just plain old Acetone.

Jr.
10-11-2014, 07:53 PM
+1 on the wd40 also works for tar kicked up off of freshly paved roads

jcwit
10-11-2014, 07:58 PM
I'd like to know what would take dried on Horse Manure off the sides of an auto. One of the advantages of living in Amish Country.

starmac
10-11-2014, 08:00 PM
I am using a heat gun, and it does not help with the glue residue at all. I haul oil to the asphalt plants, and buy wd fourty bu the case for that purpose, but under these signs can be seen for years. I am thinking some kind of compound after getting it as clean as I can.

oldred
10-11-2014, 08:08 PM
This will take the fight out of it, it will easily remove almost any decal adhesive and will not harm the paint. The Kleenstrip is nearly as good but that 3M will work like magic!

http://www.amazon.com/3M-03618-Adhesive-Remover-oz/dp/B000BQYA7W

fatelk
10-11-2014, 09:48 PM
Oh, now I understand. You all are talking cars. I was wondering what kind of bodies you were talking about.

David2011
10-11-2014, 09:51 PM
Starmac,

Mineral spirits, WD-40 and kerosene will all work. Rubber cement thinner is another excellent alternative. Unlike acetone or lacquer thinner, it won't damage any paint that I'm aware of after using it since 1982 and it specifically targets the kind of adhesive you're trying to remove. It will remove grease pencil marks from photographs without damaging them. My wife recently purchased a collectible book online and it arrived with label adhesive on the cover. Rubber cement thinner removed it without damaging the cover or leaving any residue. It is very volatile so if you use it don't leave the lid off.

David

dragon813gt
10-11-2014, 10:18 PM
3M Adhesive Remover. It's designed for this task and won't damage paint.

MaryB
10-11-2014, 10:27 PM
liquid lighter fluid that is used in the refillable zippo style lighters. We used it at the appliance store to remove tape residue from trade in appliances.

starmac
10-11-2014, 10:50 PM
Well the parts house had 3M adhesive cleaner NOT remover, it is working, but sure isn't magic. lol
They did have the kleenstrip there and less than half the price. I wish I had bought it instead, just to see how it worked.
This cleaner does say that it can damage some laquer paints.

Menner
10-11-2014, 11:16 PM
Get a 3M eraser wheel it will take off 90% of the adhesive and then use the liquid removers

starmac
10-11-2014, 11:39 PM
LOL I paid 22 bucks for one of those 3M wheels, and threw it away. lol It did a great job of smearing it all over the place.

Bullwolf
10-12-2014, 12:22 AM
Ive always used good old Hoppes #9 solvent as a label and glue remover. An added bonus is I usually have some around close by, so it rarely requires an extra trip to the store.
http://images.wholesalehunter.com/prodpics/hopppic902.jpg
It works great for taking annoying stickers off of motorcycle gas tanks, and ive used it to get bumper stickers off painted automotive bumpers before too.

I will often use Hoppes #9 in my rental units to remove stickers that kids put on the fridges, stoves, and windows.

Another great Hoppes solvent use is to get the glued on labels off of peanut butter jars, mayonnaise containers, nut containers, and other plastic basins that I plan on re-purposing for something else.

http://www.seedman.com/image/plasjar.jpg http://www.smokeysticksbeefjerky.com/images/jar.jpg

Hoppes #9 hasn't damaged any durable painted surfaces for me yet, but I'm sure there are some finishes out there that it will dissolve. I normally dab some on, then clean it off shortly thereafter, removing paper labels, and any glue residue.

Always check first in an unobtrusive location (underneath or something) before applying it.

- Bullwolf

MtGun44
10-12-2014, 12:44 AM
I think Goof-Off will do that very well.

Bill

FISH4BUGS
10-12-2014, 07:29 AM
I used some stuff called Goo Gone. It works slowly but it works.

doc1876
10-12-2014, 08:13 AM
when I worked for the NWR, we had to take off decals occasionally, and I would use a heat gun, plastic scraper, and finish with wd40. I will never understand why, but they had cases of it, and no real spray oils.
I think if I had the need again, I would try the 3M adhesive remover.

montana_charlie
10-12-2014, 12:31 PM
I'd like to know what would take dried on Horse Manure off the sides of an auto. One of the advantages of living in Amish Country.
Lived there long?

jcwit
10-12-2014, 01:30 PM
Lived there long?

My whole life! I live in the house my mother was raised in and I also was raised in. It was the farmstead on the west edge of town. Been in the family since the 1880's.

montana_charlie
10-12-2014, 01:38 PM
Lived there long?

My whole life! I live in the house my mother was raised in and I also was raised in. It was the farmstead on the west edge of town. Been in the family since the 1880's.

Well, if it's been that long, and you are just now asking what will remove horse manure from your car ...
you should probably go straight to the belt sander.

starmac
10-12-2014, 02:20 PM
side grinder is quicker, even better to use a jack hammer till you get close. lol I knew you were headed in that direction. lol

jcwit
10-12-2014, 02:24 PM
Only thing I've ever found that works to any extent are those nylon bath/shower scrubbers like are sold at WalMart for a buck. Problem being I can no longer stoop over to use them, last time I cleaned the poop off the side of my cars I laid down to do it.

Wish I had a Hyd lift like the garages have.

It has gotten worse over the years.

starmac
10-12-2014, 02:27 PM
What is them horses eating that a pressure washer won't take off??

jcwit
10-12-2014, 02:38 PM
I have no idea, we used to have "road apples" no longer, seems most of them have the runs, natural liquid manure.

Gotta be the feed as I see in driving in the country they "the horses" have a pasture the size of a city lot, many are fenced in a small muddy lot and nothing else.

montana_charlie
10-12-2014, 03:09 PM
Lived there long?

Well, if it's been that long, and you are just now asking what will remove horse manure from your car ...
you should probably go straight to the belt sander.

It has gotten worse over the years.
Then, it's probably hammer and chisel time ...

oldred
10-12-2014, 05:45 PM
Well the parts house had 3M adhesive cleaner NOT remover, it is working, but sure isn't magic. lol
They did have the kleenstrip there and less than half the price. I wish I had bought it instead, just to see how it worked.
This cleaner does say that it can damage some laquer paints.

Do you have the 3M 03618 or the 08984? I have yet to find an adhesive the 03618 remover will not work on, usually it softens it almost instantly and the stuff will rub right off.

starmac
10-12-2014, 07:14 PM
08987, it is a cleaner, not a remover. They did not have the remover.
It did get the job done, but with a bit of elbo grease. I have removed a lot of signs over the years, and for some reason these left way more glue resinue than any other I have ever removed.

jcwit
10-12-2014, 08:11 PM
Don't if this will help or not but I save a few of my prescription bottles and remove the labels, I use white gas/Naphtha to remove the glue.

dagger dog
10-13-2014, 04:34 PM
Get a 3M eraser wheel it will take off 90% of the adhesive and then use the liquid removers

A man that's been there !

I bought a custom van with those fake plastic "pinstripe" kits, I wore out 1 wheel and 1/2 of another. One of best product going, once the glue balls up take a rag with some lacquer thinner and it will wipe right off.