PDA

View Full Version : Help for new MP 432 HB possibly.

WallyM3
10-11-2014, 03:46 PM
Though I have both above average mechanical aptitude and a small machine shop, I'm puzzled out on this one. With only one brain (or at least a portion of one) working on this perhaps I'm missing some obvious fix/preparation steps.

The mould in question is from a recent GB and I just broke it out, cleaned it and attempted to assemble it. I just put down an MP 359-640 that has been hailing boolits for the last two days. It's beautifully made and operates flawlessly (even at 700 deg.).

My conclusion it that the either the HB pins or the cavity itself shifted slightly in the fixture and got drilled/reamed off-center. They both do it and both fit perfectly if placed in the part of the cavity where they would be positioned, but with the pins "in the air".

The MP 432 HB:

Any ideas would be greatly, greatly appreciated. This is one of my favorite boolit designs.

GLL
10-11-2014, 08:10 PM
Slightly loosen the two alignment pins that screw into the sides of the HP pins and reassemble. Sometimes that will be just enough to allow the blocks to settle closed.

Jerry

WallyM3
10-11-2014, 08:21 PM
Thank you!

I was thinking along those lines, but wondering if I needed to somehow physically fix the limits of travel that the "reset" might create. I'll proceed with this adjustment. If it proves to move me in the direction needed, I'll adjust the adjustment...if you get my meaning.

I am mightily impressed with these moulds and wouldn't hesitate to participate in another GB.

Dale53
10-12-2014, 10:43 AM
WallyM3;
Jerry has given you the scoop. When you slightly loosen those screws the pins become self centering and "All is good!"

Dale53

WallyM3
10-12-2014, 01:09 PM
I'm very glad to know it and will do it.

WallyM3
10-12-2014, 03:30 PM
A full turn out didn't do it.

jethunter
10-12-2014, 04:23 PM
It looks to me like something is not centered, either the holes in the block do not center in the pin cut-out of the block, or the taps in the pin are not true. Either way you need to get MP involved. Send Mihec a PM or email and ask him what he wants you to do. He'll probably send you a new one.

WallyM3
10-12-2014, 05:36 PM
I had hoped to avoid the imposition on him if it was a fix I could make here. I could enlarge the guide pin holes and let the HB pins find their own center. But, I think you're right.

I hate to abandon such a lovely mould.

jethunter
10-12-2014, 07:38 PM
Unfortunately it doesn't look like something that has an easy fix. Holes are drilled in the wrong place and it's hard to undrill them.

dkf
10-12-2014, 10:39 PM
Try swapping pins around to see if that helps. Regardless it takes some use for th epins to seat better. I have the same mold and several other MP molds with the pins and that is how it it is.