PDA

View Full Version : Is your Ruger SBH base pin jumping?

Shuz
10-11-2014, 10:26 AM
I now have 2/ea Ruger Super Blackhawks that have had the base pin jumping problem solved by simply installing a Belt Mountain base pin with a locking Allen screw. These people are great to work with and have a fine product that sells for around $25.00 shipped in either blue or stainless.

jmort
10-11-2014, 11:34 AM
And they can improve the look of the gun as well. I like the #5 style which is easy to get a hold of and looks cool.

telebasher
10-11-2014, 11:35 AM
I bought a three pac of extra tension springs for the retainer lock for seven bucks from Midway, problem solved.

Char-Gar
10-11-2014, 12:31 PM
I have installed Belt Mountain base pins on every Ruger SA I own.

mac60
10-11-2014, 01:33 PM
I currently have 2 BH's (and have owned several more in the past) and I've never had a problem with the oem base pin.

waco
10-11-2014, 02:47 PM
Pics of the Belt Mountain Base pin please???.........

cbrick
10-11-2014, 07:09 PM

Same here, it's just to easy of a fix to not do. For my last Ruger I had the Belt Mtn base pin sitting here waiting before the Ruger got here.

Rick

waco
10-11-2014, 09:21 PM
OK. Found them. Nice looking!

C. Latch
10-11-2014, 09:53 PM
My ruger has had a broken rear sight, broken transfer bar, gritty trigger, wildly varying throat sizes, frame choke, loose ERH, but the base pin hasn't yet came loose under recoil.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

dubber123
10-12-2014, 08:42 AM
My ruger has had a broken rear sight, broken transfer bar, gritty trigger, wildly varying throat sizes, frame choke, loose ERH, but the base pin hasn't yet came loose under recoil.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

Now thats funny right there.. :)

375supermag
10-12-2014, 10:54 AM
Hi...

I have a couple of Super Blackhawks and have never had a problem with the base pin jumping.

On the other hand, I have a standard BlacK Hawk in .45Colt that does have base pin creep/jump...the only one that does it out of 10-12 Blackhawks/Vaqueros that I own.

I have actually ordered a Belt Mountain base pin for it several years ago, through a LGS that went closed before it ever arrived. It must not bother me too much or I suppose i would have ordered another by this time. It only does it with heavier than average loads, which I generally only shoot in my Super BlackHawk Hunter in .45Colt. I can't recall the base pin jumping with my usual load of 8gr of Unique under a 255gr LSWC.

contender1
10-12-2014, 11:04 AM
In general,, there are millions of Ruger Blackhawks & Super Blackhawks that never experience base pin jumping or creep. That said,,, there is a fraction of them that do have this happen, often enough to where it's a common discussion. It happens the most when heavier, harder recoiling loads are use in general.
Some have found that a stronger latch spring is a good fix, while others go the replacement base pin route. A few others have found that they can use a round file to deepen the groove in the base pin to allow more of the latch to hold it. All three things can & will work depending upon your gun.

Airman Basic
10-12-2014, 11:28 AM
Don't I remember a controversy about after market base pins being too tight and not allowing the slack needed to center the cylinder and barrel at firing? Maybe I dreamed that.

ShooterAZ
10-12-2014, 08:01 PM

Same here, they tighten everything up just right. I highly recommend them. I also put Bowen "Rough Country" rear sights on mine, and cut & squared up the front (dremel) sight for better sight picture for me.

44man
10-14-2014, 09:23 AM
Don't I remember a controversy about after market base pins being too tight and not allowing the slack needed to center the cylinder and barrel at firing? Maybe I dreamed that.
Yes, it is true if there is any misalignment to the chambers. They should not be super tight but the play needed is very small, really at the point you can't feel it. If the pin will not go in the cylinder unless full of oil, it is too tight.
I have seen many forcing cones and some rifling worn off center by being fit too tight.
Once right you want to keep it lubed, I use STP on the pin, front bushing and ratchet.
STP will cushion cylinder slam to the recoil shield and prevent wear to the ratchet, front bushing and hand.
Never remove cylinder side play either. Some will fit a fatter cylinder stop, hand the gun to a friend and say, "see how tight it is." It is detrimental to your gun and accuracy.

freedom475
10-14-2014, 10:03 AM
And in truth the base pin jump has NOTHING to do with the base pin....you have a bad or worn, base pin latch!

Pull the latch and you will most likely have little dents all the way around it.

Belt mountain also sells a hardened steel latch.

BruceB
10-14-2014, 12:08 PM
And in truth the base pin jump has NOTHING to do with the base pin.

Not necessarily.

Perhaps it might be better to say that the problem MAY have nothing to do with the base pin?

After MANY thousands of rounds, one of our Old-Model Super Blackhawks gradually developed this problem.

Investigation showed that the notch IN THE BASE PIN had become burred and deformed, sufficiently to allow the pin to slip free of the catch.

Substitution of a Belt Mountain base pin eliminated the problem.

44man
10-14-2014, 01:04 PM
I am one of the lucky ones, owned many Rugers and the one I still have has gone past 79,000 heavy loads, maybe half with 240 gr bullets with 24 gr of 296 for IHMSA and the rest with 310 to 330 gr full hunting loads. I never had the pin move on any of mine.
Recoil is enough that I sheared three grip frame screws once because they got loose. A pack from Ruger and Loc-Tite solved that.
A belt Mountain will fix it for sure, just make the fit like the factory pin.

Shuz
10-15-2014, 10:25 AM
Not necessarily.

Perhaps it might be better to say that the problem MAY have nothing to do with the base pin?

After MANY thousands of rounds, one of our Old-Model Super Blackhawks gradually developed this problem.

Investigation showed that the notch IN THE BASE PIN had become burred and deformed, sufficiently to allow the pin to slip free of the catch.

Substitution of a Belt Mountain base pin eliminated the problem.

The notch in the base pin that Bruce is referring to is one of the first things I look at BEFORE I consider buying a used Ruger SBH in .44 mag. The wear on this notch, or the amount of peening around the edges is some indication, at least to me, of whether the revolver has been shot a little or a good bit. Like 44man says, a good fitting Belt Mtn pin will fix it for sure...especially the ones with the Allen set screw.

RayinNH
10-15-2014, 10:57 AM
Just keep in mind that if the gun has to go back to the factory for work that they will remove after market parts. I've heard they don't return them to the owner.

I use a Belt Mountain pin on my .45 Colt because I like the looks of it. Of the three Blackhawks that I have I've never had pin creep. Maybe I don't shoot enouh :).

Shuz
10-15-2014, 06:00 PM
Just keep in mind that if the gun has to go back to the factory for work that they will remove after market parts. I've heard they don't return them to the owner.

I use a Belt Mountain pin on my .45 Colt because I like the looks of it. Of the three Blackhawks that I have I've never had pin creep. Maybe I don't shoot enouh :).
Ray, you bring up a good point about returning guns to the mfr with after market parts. I once returned a Smith 629-1 for a hammer stud replacement. They replaced the hammer stud OK at no charge, but they also replaced my 11 lb Wolff rebound slide spring with an 18 lb stock spring! We live and learn!(sometimes)

LUCKYDAWG13
10-15-2014, 06:34 PM
pin in my 41 mag jumped out twice on me never on my 44 mag but the 44 is at the smith now having some work dun and i will have a new mountain pin installed after i get it back the 41 will be next