PDA

View Full Version : Paper patched Elk

Harleysboss
10-10-2014, 10:35 PM
Well I'm back from our elk hunt and we were successful. My son and I had drawn cow elk tags this year for an eastern Washington hunt unit. I have been testing my paper patching skills all summer from guidance from the numerous posts on this forum as well as help getting started from idahoron. Our rifles were a White Bison .504 and a "hotrod" Lyman deer stalker with a GM LRH 50cal. The loads were 75grns Goex FFFG followed by a hard card an a 460grn No Excuses conical size .500 wrapped 2 wraps of onion skin and finally run through a .501 size die.
On the morning that we connected, we had been still hunting a real thick patch of timber. WE had separated by about 50 yards to watch different draws. My son cow called softly and just seconds later we heard crashing coming off a ridge. I saw the cow first. she came trotting past me at about 15 yards. I made bleat noise and she slowed to listen. I lined up and fired. She bolted down the draw and past my son. He had heard the shot ( of course) and got ready. The cow passed him at about 25 yards and stopped. He did not see a hit so he lined up and fired. The cow took 10 steps spun and was down for the count.
During the skinning and quartering we found that both shots had found the mark and were actually about 3 inches part in the lungs. Since my son had the finishing shot he got to hang his tag on her. She was a nice young cow probably a 2 year old at about 400 lbs.
We continued the hunt for 3 more days and had a few other encounters but things just did not pan out to take a second elk on my tag. Six great days in the mountains with my son and we managed to take a fine animal for the table. A big thank you goes out to the paper patchers that share great info on this forum. Sorry no pictures yet. I still have to dig the camera out and down load them. I'm sold on the paper patch method and will continue to fine tune my technique.

johnson1942
10-10-2014, 11:06 PM
thank you very much for the post. your enjoyment was ours also. paperpatch got another one. your muzzleloaders were like hunting with 50/70 sharps in accracy and power. i hope your post will inspire others to go the same route and enjoy paperpatching also. you and your son must shoot for the same spot on a critter. 3 inches apart says something. you cant buy memories like that.

BethelHntr
10-11-2014, 01:22 AM
Congrats harleysboss on a successful hunt for you and your son.

Good Cheer
10-11-2014, 04:35 PM
Thanks. I enjoyed that.

johnson1942
10-11-2014, 05:59 PM
did you learn to paperpatch from cast boolits or how did you learn? i really like the idea of shareing information that doesnt cost us money and makes us better at what we are tryiing to do. a father son relationship is a wonderful thing and hunting together is the very best. i have a daughter who just started colege and was required to take a criminal justice course and she said she fell in love with it. she never shot any of my guns at home but the bug bit her. she is going to do a double major of english and criminal justice. she want to work in a big city in lawinforcement or the FBI and to get a masters in criminal justice. what a surprise.

Harleysboss
10-11-2014, 08:43 PM
I basically saw some posts from Idahoron and the animals that he has taken with the paper patched bullet. I had private messages with him on a different site and he helped me out with instructions and some paper to get started. I also found this site and started reading all I could from different posters about the bullets and loads. I'm just not sold on the available bullets that are out there for muzzleloaders. I like the idea of big lead drops um dead. And that sure rang true with the elk this year.

johnson1942
10-11-2014, 11:13 PM
again welcome to the growing number of paperpatch shooters. every month it grows. big lead drops them dead.

idahoron
10-12-2014, 05:22 PM
Great job on the elk!