PDA

View Full Version : 30 carbine plain base bullet

ra_balke
02-04-2008, 09:24 PM
Years ago, I read an article in GA Magazine about a guy who put a buffer under his cast bullets between the powder and bullet base. This done to keep the heat off the bullet, and to avoid the cost of a gas check. He was using 45 ACP. This has got me to thinking about the 30 carbine, and I was thinking about wheat bran. What if one were to dump powder into the case, then a volume of wheat bran, then seat the bullet. Would this have the effect of blocking the bullet base away from the flame ?

beagle
02-05-2008, 12:36 AM
Think I'd be a bit hesitant about using a filler with a gas system like the M1 Carbine. Don't know if the filler/residue would clog it or not.

Also, with most powders in the M1 Carbine that will function the action, there is darn little room and most are compressed or near compressed.

You may be able to do it though but those were my thoughts./beagle

dmftoy1
02-05-2008, 09:39 AM
I read a thread here or on thehighroad.org recently where a guy had a kaboom from using cream of wheat as a filler. The current theory is that while drivng to the range the cream of wheat had mixed with the powder (instead of sitting on top) due to airspace and one slug had lodged in the barrel due to incomplete ignition and the second ka-boomed it.

I know some people advocate fillers but I think there are better options. (position insensitive powder's, etc.)

Regards,
Dave

mooman76
02-05-2008, 09:55 PM
You could try soft checks!

Patrick L
02-05-2008, 11:00 PM
Just asking, but why do you think you need to do this? My carbines shoot plain base boolits just fine, with no appreciable leading of the bore or of the gas system.

beagle
02-05-2008, 11:42 PM
Patrick, I didn't want to say that but that's my experience as well.

I see no need for a filler in the "bean" or gas checks either for that matter./beagle

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-06-2008, 12:06 AM
I agree with Pat and beagle. I'm not the greatest expert on here by far, but I don't think either the .30 carbine or .45ACP shoots with enough velocity one would need a gas check or any other type of filler to use lead in these calibers. This assumes one matches the boolit diameter to the barrel.

Dave

jjamna
02-06-2008, 12:12 AM
Just asking, but why do you think you need to do this? My carbines shoot plain base boolits just fine, with no appreciable leading of the bore or of the gas system.

I don't use any gas checks either.

ra_balke
02-06-2008, 07:26 PM
I have been around cast bullets for about 35 years, and 100k rounds. In my experience, anything over 1200 fps needs a gas check. Mostly I use WW metal, air cooled.

I have been lurking on this list for about a year, and it seems that most are opposed to use of gas checks in 30 carbine. Me, well, I have tones of them. What I am really looking for is around a 115 grain mould, 30 carbine profile, and 20 caliber flat nose, and a gas check. One universal bullet.

mto7464
02-06-2008, 10:41 PM
no problem here either.

jcwit
02-07-2008, 06:23 PM
No problem here either. Mold em, size em, lube em, load em, shoot em.

ELFEGO BACA
02-17-2008, 02:34 AM
I have had no problems shooting 120 grain RNFP plain base bullets out of the 30 carbine I purchased from the CMP. The same cast bullet works equally well out of my Marlin 32-20.

I do use gas checks in my Swede and 1903 Springfield!

Newtire
02-17-2008, 11:39 AM
Hi ra,

I haven't had the reason to switch from gas-check design myself but lots of guys here have good luck using gas check or non-gas check designs.

I personally rate the 311359 the best and the Lee 120 RN next. These are both gas checked designs.

Only non-gaschecked designs I have tried are the 311410 and the 308241-125gr. version, and the RCBS 32-98 pistol boolit. I experienced "0"-joy with the 311241 so sold it off and never really gave the 311410 much more testing since the others worked so well.

It's my thought that some boolits work better in particular carbines. Mine won't feed the flat-noses but others have carbines that do.

Most shooters here have had good luck with the gas checked designs from my reading so give them a try. Flat nose boolits just won't feed in my carbine but they do in other folks carbines. I had OK accuracy with the 311316 but it wouldn't feed in my carbine for instance. I also had good accuracy with the RCBS 32-98 pistol boolit but no feed there either.

I bumped a point on the 311316 hollow point I have as Beagle suggested and it feeds but haven't had the time to cast up any quantities to give it much of a workout. You'll find something that is just perfect I am sure.

I don't get involved much in some of the "boolit wars" you see on here occasionally because usually there is some truth in what everyone says. If it works for you, it may not for someone else-or vice/versa.

sundog
02-25-2008, 11:54 AM
I shot the 'bean' (as Beagle likes to call it) yesterday with 3 different boolits, soup can, 311576, and a SAECO PB. I had shot the soup can previously and only had 5 of them left. Initial loading on that round was a problem as the last round from the mag would fail to feed properly. I adjusted seating depth a little deeper. It seems to work fine now. At 50 yards, off the bench, the soup can shot 5 rounds well under 2 inches and 3 almost in one hole. More testing on the soup can, for sure (I'll get them ready evenings this week). The other 2 worked just fine and shot okay. Powder for all on this outing was 2400. All total, I shot about 50-60 rounds.

felix
02-25-2008, 11:59 AM
Save me some, Corky! Can't wait to shoot that thing! I have a bunch of plain base boolts to load, all produce from Deputy Al's molds he loaned me several eons ago. ... felix

sundog
02-25-2008, 12:47 PM
Felix, okay. You're on!

Anyone else shooting the soup can?

I'm also thinking that using a round nose punch of appropriate proportion on the soup can might take enough of the edge off the meplate enough to help it up the ramp and smoothly into the chamber. That might allow a little more leeway in OAL with that boolit.

I have an earlier version of the soup can in a 2-holer, and the meplate size on it and the group buy 6-banger are different. Six-banger has a smaller dia meplate - that's a good thing as far as the carbine is concerned.

TCFAN
02-25-2008, 02:25 PM

!Anyone else shooting the soup can?

I'm also thinking that using a round nose punch of appropriate proportion on the soup can might take enough of the edge off the meplate enough to help it up the ramp and smoothly into the chamber. That might allow a little more leeway in OAL with that boolit.

I have an earlier version of the soup can in a 2-holer, and the meplate size on it and the group buy 6-banger are different. Six-banger has a smaller dia meplate - that's a good thing as far as the carbine is concerned.

Sundog

I have a 2-hole soup can mold and it shoots and feeds just fine in my Saginaw carbine......

It also shoots and feeds the Lyman 311316 and 311008 boolits just fine....No jams yet.......Terry

NickSS
02-25-2008, 09:07 PM
I forget the mold number but it is a lyman 130 gr plain base bullet. Anyway I shot thousands of them through a carbine loaded with either H110, 2400 or W296 over a 30 year time frame with no problems at all. Most of the loads I used gave around 1600 to 1700 fps with that bullet and it was a great one for plinking. The only time I ever used anything else was for hunting when I used 100 gr Hornady half jackets. They worked great on deer. I know a lot of people say you can't kill a deer with a carbine but I killed three for three attemps. One shot each for two of them through the chest and one with a head shot.