PDA

View Full Version : My 311299 has a fat nose!

Elkins45
10-10-2014, 08:46 PM
People warn that the new Lyman molds drop undersized but the 311299 I bought this summer (NOS from the mid-90's) has the opposite problem. I read BruceB's thread on shooting cast in the M1A and attempted to duplicate his loads. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that I can't get the bolt of my barely used Springfield rifle to close.

Even when very deeply seated the nose is still too fat to chamber. Isn't that just my luck! I guess I will switch to the 200 grain Lee and see if it fits--I think the nose is a bit skinnier on that one.

Ben
10-10-2014, 09:02 PM
You might be a candidate for this :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?225875-Is-your-nose-too-big

Gtek
10-10-2014, 09:05 PM
I would be more than happy to relieve you of that poorly cut mold. Or we could trade for one of mine if it cast your needs.

Elkins45
10-10-2014, 09:57 PM
You might be a candidate for this :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?225875-Is-your-nose-too-big

Very nice. I have a lathe and am slowly acquiring the skill to use it. I might make a nose sizer, but trying a different mold is an easier and more immediate fix to try. I think I already have some of the Lee bullets cast and sized.

I would be more than happy to relieve you of that poorly cut mold. Or we could trade for one of mine if it cast your needs.

My Garand likes the fat nose just fine. No one mold can feed every gun it would seem. Maybe this tightly throated gun will finally be the one that likes the tapered MXL 195 grain bullet. If so it would be the first one I've found.

Ben
10-10-2014, 10:15 PM
Very nice. I have a lathe and am slowly acquiring the skill to use it. I might make a nose sizer, but trying a different mold is an easier and more immediate fix to try. I think I already have some of the Lee bullets cast and sized.

My Garand likes the fat nose just fine. No one mold can feed every gun it would seem. Maybe this tightly throated gun will finally be the one that likes the tapered MXL 195 grain bullet. If so it would be the first one I've found.

I tried the MX in 5 different rifles.

Finally sold the mold and don't want another one.

Ben

rintinglen
10-13-2014, 09:26 PM
I tried the MX in 5 different rifles.

Finally sold the mold and don't want another one.

Ben

Ben, you just haven't bought the right gun yet:kidding: