PDA

View Full Version : John Bodine 45-70

ColColt
10-10-2014, 07:33 PM
I ran across this doing some surfing tonight. I think Pedersoli makes a good looking Rolling Block. I sort of miss the one I had many years ago but it was a carbine 45-70 with a brass butt plate and hard to shoot from a bench. This one caught my eye and IMHO is most attractive. Not a Lone Star but an attractive facsimile.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x220/ColColt/Misc%20Stuff/JohnBodine_zps944a49e3.jpg (http://s180.photobucket.com/user/ColColt/media/Misc%20Stuff/JohnBodine_zps944a49e3.jpg.html)

country gent
10-10-2014, 07:48 PM
My partner shoots a pedersoli rolling block ( pre dates the John Bodine model) at shillouetes with me. Its a great looking rifle and shoots very well for him. His a little on the light side and recoil becomes an issue. But it is a great rifle and is very useable all around.

ColColt
10-10-2014, 07:52 PM
I have to wonder about lock time. Best I remember the one I had wasn't near as good as the High Wall but that rifle was back in 1970 through Navy Arms. A fun rifle to shoot anyway.

bigted
10-10-2014, 10:20 PM
i have an original roller chambered in 40-65 and i also have a new winchester/miroku hiwall in 45-70. there is no difference that i can feel in lock time. it just goes bang as does the winchester when i put a little pressure on the trigger. i can't tell one taking longer then the other altho it stands to reason that the hiwall with the smaller and lighter hammer with the coil springs should make the firing pin a nano faster than the rolling block with the flat spring and sporting hammer. :2_high5:

ColColt
10-10-2014, 10:30 PM
I have the Browning 1885 in 45-70 and it's fast enough.:)

Toymaker
10-11-2014, 12:14 PM
I used a Pedersoli Creedmoor #1 RB in 45-70 in silhouette shoots for a couple of years and it did very well for me. I decided I wanted something with double set triggers and the Bodine attracted me. However, when I got to handle one I felt the weight would be a definite disadvantage off-hand. At a silhouette shoot one of the competitors had a Pedersoli Creedmoor #2 which looked very nice and, for him, shot well. After the match he was kind enough to let me shoot it a couple of times. Very sweet. Double set triggers and the same weight as my current rifle. I found a local dealer and did business. I took the Heilman tang sight and spirit level front sight off the #1, put the original Pedersoli sights back on and sold it to my brother. Then I put the good sights on the #2 and took some of my loads to the range. The same loads that worked in the #1 were just as good, maybe a tad better, in the #2. It balances nicely and I have no problem getting through a 40-round match.

bigted
10-11-2014, 10:21 PM
so colcolt ... didga buy the snazzy roller? or did ya just find it and comment on it? kinda lookin at this model myself if the price were right.

ColColt
10-11-2014, 10:23 PM
I'm still chewin' on it. I'm looking at a couple of models besides this one. It's sort of like deciding whether you want the Biscayne or go for the Caprice.:)

bigted
10-11-2014, 11:00 PM
LOL ... i know just where you are! good luck on the aquisition.

Superduty
10-12-2014, 11:07 AM
I would love to have that rifle you should buy it to keep the rest of us from getting it. I shoot a plain jane pendersoil like it and have been happy with it.

EDG
10-12-2014, 04:15 PM
The Bodine rifles have the round top receiver ring. I never thought they looked as nice as a Creedmoor.