PDA

View Full Version : Second guessing myself; do I need .32 H&R mag and .30 Carbine barrels?

revolvergeek
10-10-2014, 05:40 PM
Greetings all,

Earlier this year I found a couple of NOS 10 inch blue bull barrels, one in .32 H&R Mag and the other in .30 Carbine, and since I was messing around with single actions in both calibers I couldn't pass them up.

1) I recently read about the .32 mag barrels running .309 normally, and since I normally size all my .32 mag lead bullets at .314 I am a little worried about how they will perform. I had for no good reason assumed that this would be a 'normal' .32 barrel and I really liked the idea of being able to share ammo between a Contender and revolver pair. I have read some conflicting posts on the question if this .309 bore is an issue or not, and since the barrel is NOS I haven't rushed out to test it yet.

2) From a ballistics standpoint realistically will either one of them really dramatically outperform the other? I think that the .30 carb looks like it should run hotter and work better with heavy bullets, but is it a practical difference? All that I would do with either one is target shooting or varmints.

Any particular thoughts? Should I just use them both and not worry about it?

Thanks,
Danny

cbrick
10-10-2014, 05:55 PM
I can't speak to the 32 H&R mag but in my 30 Carbine Blackhawk I worked up a good reduced load for CA ground squirrels. The Lyman 311410 over 10 gr of SR 4759 does a fine number on them. I use the same load in a 10 inch T/C 32-20. I also often use the 32-20 brass for the 30 Carbine Ruger. In the Ruger it runs 1050 fps, don't remember off hand the velocity in the T/C.

Rick

williamwaco
10-10-2014, 06:06 PM
I have a .32 federal magnum and a .30 carbine.

Functionally there is not one whit of difference.

No you don't NEED both.

I recommend you get them anyway.

Lonegun1894
10-11-2014, 02:49 AM
I would think they would be very close if not identical, with the exception of the rim. Personally, I like rimmed rounds, but that is not a reason to go with one or the other. Do you by any chance know if the twist is the same, or if one would be better suited to heavier or faster cast loads? For example, I have a 10" .30 Herrett with a 1:14" ROT and it is excellent for cast. I have fired 90-220gr cast bullets out of it at various speeds ranging from as slow as I get reliable muzzle exit to as fast as I can safely drive them, and have not gotten any leading as long as I size to .311". Now the 220s keyholed at all velocities tried, but the next lightest tried was a 178gr, and it did fine. My best accuracy came with the Lee 150gr FNGC and the 113gr soupcan, but they have different uses and I am trying to figure out which I like better. I have always wondered what kind of performance either the .30 Carbine or the .32 H&R would give, either with light weight or heavier bullets. Both seem like they would be the perfect light recoil target round that is cheap on both powder and lead.

leftiye
10-11-2014, 03:22 AM
Yes, definitely. You need every one of them. At least I do, and I have all of them. The .32 H&R mag hot loaded will get the most shotting though! They are what keeps me from buying every new Ruger .327 mag that comes out.

revolvergeek
10-11-2014, 09:20 AM
I have a .32 federal magnum and a .30 carbine.

Functionally there is not one whit of difference.

No you don't NEED both.

I recommend you get them anyway.

Oh don't worry, I already bought both of them! :D

Neither one has been on a frame yet and I am just trying to decide if I want to keep both, and if not which one would I want to leave nib to sell.