PDA

View Full Version : THIS is how a Seller ships an item!

Hamish
10-10-2014, 05:30 PM
118806118807The other day Ravenhawk57 posted some Norma 6BR brass in the S&S, at basically half what they are going for new. I counted myself blessed to post an "I'll take it." first!

Came in a little bit ago to find a package on my chair. The first pic is after taking off the layers of white packing paper that was completely covered in lacking tape.

I am floored by the level of respect for the buyer he has shown in building a custom sized box to hold this brass to protect it from getting all scratched up.

Ravenhawk57, my hat is off to you sir, you are a credit to this forum!

smokeywolf
10-10-2014, 05:55 PM
You don't see wood packing boxes much anymore. I did something similar, but multiplied 3 fold a few years back when I sold a pristine 1950ish aircraft clock (P-38 Lightning) on ebay. Clock was about 5" x 4". Outside dimensions of outer box was about 16" x 20"

Small to medium wood packing boxes are still pretty common in Japan.

smokeywolf

GoodOlBoy
10-10-2014, 05:56 PM
Wow! Now I feel like a real low life considering I just use SFRB to ship! Holy crud Raven should be sellin them boxes!

GoodOlBoy

Fishman
10-10-2014, 06:30 PM
That's amazingly well packed. That is at 100% on the bell curve.

SGTM9
10-10-2014, 06:38 PM
Holy smokes! The box looks like it is worth as much as you paid for the brass!

shooterg
10-10-2014, 06:45 PM
But, hey, it ain't deep enough to hold the loaded rounds ! Gotta think ahead...

But seriously, awesome.

Artful
10-10-2014, 08:45 PM

But seriously, awesome.

:drinks:
:mrgreen: yep great packaging

MOcaster
10-10-2014, 08:53 PM
So how much do you want for the box?

shoot-n-lead
10-10-2014, 09:14 PM

But seriously, awesome.

He wasn't selling loaded rounds...must have thought ahead.

leeggen
10-10-2014, 11:34 PM
Just "AUWSOME".
CD

dtknowles
10-11-2014, 12:33 AM

But seriously, awesome.

Some carefully located holes in the lid and it would hold loaded rounds nicely.

Tim

smoked turkey
10-11-2014, 12:49 AM
Thanks and it is nice to give credit where credit is due. Gives us other guys something to remember when we ship something.

knifemaker
10-11-2014, 12:51 AM
That box should end up in the reloading room to store important reloading items for years to come.

Lance Boyle
10-11-2014, 09:55 AM
What no dovetails? [grin]

It always amazes me how some people pack things. I bought a L1A1 stock from a guy in Britain. It came in a plastic mailer bag, unpadded but the stock inside was thinly wrapped in newsprint. I got lucky I thought, no damage. Another item I bought, this time from here was a Forster Co-ax press. It was in a box with not much newsprint for padding. It arrived with a hole in the box and the spent primer cup shattered and the primer lid all mangled. Just a few more bits of paper, cardboard and tape would be all it would have needed. It was still a good deal even with the now damaged parts but it was avoidable.

C&R rifles sometimes also get some serious packing neglect. I've seen more than one tossed in a box with no padding. Others I've got had me taking 15 minutes to unwrap the mummy.

I sold a bunch of FAL parts for a friend, a huge laundry list. I had more than one guy want me to jam parts in too small a box to save a handful of dollars on the flat rate box selection. Sometimes you just got to say no when you expect things to break when packed like that. The old saw about don't do things if you aren't going to do them right applies.

waksupi
10-11-2014, 10:44 AM
I've received things that were terribly packed. The worst example was a left hand Ackley Mauser action, that Craig Boddington sent to be built into a rifle. It was in a manilla envelope, no packing, and badly torn by the time it arrived. I'm surprised it ever made it through the mail. Considering how few of those were ever made, I would have taken a bit more care.

Hamish
10-11-2014, 02:23 PM
So how much do you want for the box?

HA!

As a working carpenter and very amateur hand tool woodworker, I know the time it took him to rip, plane, cut, sand, staple, and screw the box together. Took him a whole lot longer than folding up a USPS cardboard box. It may just be a little pine and luan butt joint box, but it will stay on the shelf.

deathdragon147
10-12-2014, 01:47 PM
Awesome

LUBEDUDE
10-12-2014, 08:23 PM
That's what I call class!

rondog
10-12-2014, 08:41 PM
Yeah, that's pretty classy! Myself, I try to pack things well too, but I won't make a wooden box for brass. I usually put brass in a Tyvek mailer envelope, roll it up tight and tape it securely, then put it in a FRB with bubble wrap.

dtknowles
10-12-2014, 10:21 PM
Yeah, that's pretty classy! Myself, I try to pack things well too, but I won't make a wooden box for brass. I usually put brass in a Tyvek mailer envelope, roll it up tight and tape it securely, then put it in a FRB with bubble wrap.

For years while you could still sell brass on ebay I packaged brass in Blazer boxes with trays as I could get them for free at an indoor range that seem to use a lot. I still have a lot of these boxes and trays. I don't sell brass anymore, it hardly seems to be worth the trouble.

Tim