PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Chargemaster

OKSaddletramp
10-10-2014, 04:52 PM
I'm thinking of getting one for Christmas, while the rebate is still going on. Anyone have experience with the Chargemaster? Is it a good buy? I already have a 505 scale and Uniflow, but they're getting a little tedious (and hard on my aging eyes).

dragon813gt
10-10-2014, 05:29 PM
Worth every penny. I wouldn't be w/out mine. It's what I use for all rifle loading. You can change a lot of the parameters if you really wanted to. I've found no need to.

williamwaco
10-10-2014, 05:46 PM
I bought one a couple of years ago.

I hate it!

I love to hate it. I hate everything about it.

After about six months I sold my Ohaus scale and now use only the Chargemaster.

I have used nothing else for almost two years.

Oh yes? Did I mention that I hate it?

Only yesterday I poured a half a tea cup of Herco out on the carpet because I forgot to close the unloading valve after the prior unloading.

Did I mention that it does not have a battery option. If your power is "out" so is your loading bench.

Did I mention that it is so tall, I need a step stool to pour powder in the hopper?

You can find quite a bit more information here including some timings for actual time it takes to drop a powder charge. ( Did I mention that it is slower than molasses in January?)

http://reloadingtips.com/reviews/rcbs-1500.htm

Would I go back? Not on your life.
I hate it, but I hate it less than the old way.

dragon813gt
10-10-2014, 06:06 PM
Mine works just fine in a cold garage. I didn't think it was tall but everyone has different perceptions. The drain spout is a point of contention for most. I haven't spilled any yet because I make sure it's closed when I start and when I'm finished after cleaning it out. Don't get rid of your balance or trickler because you never know when power will go out and you have to reload by oil lamp ;)

Johnny_V
10-10-2014, 07:43 PM
I've had mine for a couple years now and absolutely LOVE it. Had a Lyman electronic similar to the Chargemaster, but that's all it was - Similar. Go for the Chargemaster..........

troyboy
10-10-2014, 08:21 PM
I have purchased it twice and would again without hesitation. The Hornandy might be a good unit as well but have no personal experience. My decision was based on reading many reviews and they were spot on.

OKSaddletramp
10-10-2014, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm happy to see so many who like their Chargemaster (for varying degrees of like). I'm not overly concerned with speed, since I'm still using my Lee Classic Cast single stage and see no reason to upgrade to a progressive. I am interested in how accurate it is with small charges for pistol, 9mm and .38 Special for instance. Also, are there any powders it doesn't like. My Uniflow would sometimes have issues with Unique and I hear that Blue Dot (which I have no interest in) was impossible with a Uniflow. How does the Chargemaster stand up in this area?

williamwaco
10-10-2014, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm happy to see so many who like their Chargemaster (for varying degrees of like). I'm not overly concerned with speed, since I'm still using my Lee Classic Cast single stage and see no reason to upgrade to a progressive. I am interested in how accurate it is with small charges for pistol, 9mm and .38 Special for instance. Also, are there any powders it doesn't like. My Uniflow would sometimes have issues with Unique and I hear that Blue Dot (which I have no interest in) was impossible with a Uniflow. How does the Chargemaster stand up in this area?

Accuracy is a non-issue.

In two years and several thousand charges I could count the overcharges on one hand. Never more than one tenth. I just pick up the pan and dump it back in the hopper. There will not be any undercharges, it can't happen unless you take the pan off the scale before the beep.

You will not have the metering issues with powders like you do with conventional measures because it doesn't work that way. Powder is not metered by volume, it is trickled literally a grain at a time.

Bullwolf
10-10-2014, 11:13 PM

I really love my RCBS 1500 Charge Master.

A good friend bought a RCBS Charge Master 1500 for my birthday. He said it was one of the most selfish gifts he had ever bought for someone else, because he intended to get quite a bit of use from it when we load together at my place.

I had mixed feelings about the dispenser at first, and I probably would have never gotten it for myself. I thought it was extravagant and unnecessary - and now I can hardly imagine reloading without it. After using it for a while now, I can hardly believe just how convenient this handy little item has turned out to be.

As for powders that it doesn't like... The Charge Master excels at metering/trickling annoying or difficult to meter powders, like large extruded stick powders. (IMR rifle powders come to mind)

It takes me maybe 18-25 seconds to trickle out 70 grains of IMR 4831. I don't know if that's too slow for someone else, but it was just about the perfect amount of time for me to double check weigh, and dispense a charge. By the time I'm finished, another charge is ready and waiting for me in the pan. I still double check all charges on my old faithful balance beam scale, it's always been spot on, but old habits die hard.

I have taken to using the Charge Master to trickle large flake powders such as Alliant Steel. I never had a problem metering Unique, or Blue Dot through a Uniflow, but I am more likely to just run it through the Charge Master now, unless I have the measure on the press already set up to dispense a specific charge of powder.

I appreciate the AC jack too, and not having to mess around with batteries. The auto dispense feature and chime surprised me the first few times, but after I got used to both, I found that I really appreciated them. It took me a while to figure out the operation and calibration parts, but once I worked out how the whole thing functioned, it was a breeze to use.

I really do like the fact that it has a powder drain valve on the side to empty most of the powder out, I just wish it got ALL the powder out. Fortunately, I haven't left the powder unloading/cleaning valve open... Yet.

I suppose it's easier to empty out than a lot of progressive measures that are screwed down, or into the press. I do have to turn it over to clean it out, and use a small brush to get all of the older powder out when swapping to a different powder.

It's hard to find a fault with the machine other than it's somewhat large footprint. It takes up a good sized chunk of reloading bench real estate, but it's so convenient to use that I tend to overlook that shortcoming. My large fingers sometimes manage to bump the trickle dispenser tube causing it to leak a few flakes while I'm picking up the powder pan. That's more my fault than the fault of the unit however.

It's also slower when measuring out very small charges, like say 2.8 grains of Bullseye compared to a larger amount of the same powder. If you do really light charges, it pretty much has to slowly trickle the whole charge, while with say 5.0 grains of Bullseye it will regularly dispense the majority of the charge, and then trickle out the last tiny part.

If you want, or for some reason happen to need exact charges measured right down to a tenth of a grain, then the Charge Master really shines.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_187904efc51e484b72.jpg

I find it easier to precisely meter my large rifle charges using the Charge Master, as well as many of my heavy pistol charges. When I'm trying something new, and I want to be sure that my charge weights have little or no variance, I just plug in the Charge Master. I often use it instead of bothering to dial in my Uniflow these days.

Regarding the RCBS Uniflow and metering issues, I have both the large and small powder drums for my Uniflow powder measures. I use the larger drum for heavier volume rifle charges, or with large charges of slow burning pistol powders. I tend to swap the small drum for use with light pistol charges with smaller case capacities. (Like 38 Special wad cutters)

My older RCBS Uniflow came with both the large and small drums. I have read that RCBS doesn't do this any longer, and that the new Uniflow measure only comes with the large drum now. The smaller drum is available as a separate purchasable part.
http://www.natchezss.com/images/products/RC09004.jpg

RCBS Uniflow Powder Measure Cylinder Assembly Small

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/917289/rcbs-uniflow-powder-measure-cylinder-assembly-small

The small drum is more consistent and precise for me when measuring smaller powder charges with powders like Red Dot, Unique, and Bullseye. If you have problems with your Uniflow metering small charges of powder, it may be something worth considering.

- Bullwolf

Motor
10-10-2014, 11:36 PM
Some of this most likely covered by the mile long last post LOL.

My wife got me mine for Christmas about 4 years ago. It was right before they raised the price to cover the rebate.

Best part about it for me was that it got me back into stick powder.

I strongly suggest you do the McDonald's straw mod. It reduced over weight charges dramatically. I also did a small parameter speed boost. I can charge a case and seat the bullet just before it starts into trickle mode.

I don't bother using it for any pistol powder like Bullseye or Unique etc. and definatly will NEVER use it for ball powder. That would just be stupid. My Uniflow will dispence these just fine. Yes I have both large and small drums for it.

I do keep my 5-10 scale on the bench and will often check one to the other. The Chargmaster's scale when used just as a scale will float off zero sometimes. Its always a good idea to place the empty pan back on from time to time to make sure it is still zeroed. OK, I'll quit at 1/2mile. :)

TCFAN
10-10-2014, 11:52 PM
The RCBS 1500 Charge Master is the single best reloading tool that I have ever bought bar none.

What is the McDonald's straw mod??.....................Terry

Akheloce
10-11-2014, 12:02 AM
Most everything has been said about it. Great posts above. My advice is to watch the weight shown after the cartridge # is displayed. Sometimes it hiccups and delivers a clump more than intended (not often). Also, whenever it is turned on after non-use, allow it to warm up, and calibrate it at least once or twice. This allows the load cells to get warmed up (common trait amongst all electronic scales, even big ones for vehicles). All said, especially for rifles, I love it .

winelover
10-11-2014, 07:35 AM
I've had a Chargemaster, pretty much, since they first hit the market. Best thing since sliced bread. I like it for everything, except small charges of Bullseye. It's too slow because the "step-up" motor never kick's in. I use my Uniflow for very low charges of Bullseye.

I keep a paper bowl (Dixie), under the drain spout. Will catch the powder, if you happen to forget to close it. When it comes time to drain it, I just let it flow into the bowl. The paper bowl is bendable, so it aids in returning the powder to it's container without spillage. I never tip it over to drain! Most powder will drain out by gravity and the rest, in the nozzle, will meter out as you dispense a couple of extra charges, into the pan. The last few grains are gotten out by gently taping the nozzle, while it's dispensing, using a pencil or a small paint brush.

Winelover

Jim_P
10-11-2014, 12:24 PM
I have one and absolutely love it. Some may find it a bit slow, especially on small charges, but it's always with 1/10th of a grain. Or dump it back and try again. It also counts the number of charges you've weighed. Great as a check if all the cases are full, double full, etc. Small ball and flake powder or large logs like H-4198. They all work fine. Dumping powder is a procedural thing. Just check before you put powder in the hopper.

If you need battery power, get an 8 cell (AA or C sized batteries) battery holder from Radio Shack or online and fasten a plug that fits the Chargemaster to the battery holder from an old wall wart.

Bjornb
10-11-2014, 12:37 PM
I bought one a couple of years ago.

I hate it!

I love to hate it. I hate everything about it.

After about six months I sold my Ohaus scale and now use only the Chargemaster.

I have used nothing else for almost two years.

Oh yes? Did I mention that I hate it?

Only yesterday I poured a half a tea cup of Herco out on the carpet because I forgot to close the unloading valve after the prior unloading.

Did I mention that it does not have a battery option. If your power is "out" so is your loading bench.

Did I mention that it is so tall, I need a step stool to pour powder in the hopper?

You can find quite a bit more information here including some timings for actual time it takes to drop a powder charge. ( Did I mention that it is slower than molasses in January?)

http://reloadingtips.com/reviews/rcbs-1500.htm

Would I go back? Not on your life.
I hate it, but I hate it less than the old way.

Hey William, you're the first guy I've ever heard about who did that (not).

OP, listen to all the posters above. This scale/dispenser is awesome.

dragon813gt
10-11-2014, 12:39 PM
I don't find speed to be an issue and I use it in conjunction w/ a Lee Classic Turret. H110 leaks out of the Lee PAD so it goes into the Chargemaster. A charge is in the pan waiting to go by the time I get back around to the charging part. If you wish you can get into the programming to change when it speeds up and slows down.

jeo22
10-11-2014, 12:40 PM
RCBS Chargemaster = I like it.
Pretty much everything has been covered, great edition to any reloading bench.

Bullwolf
10-11-2014, 11:04 PM
The RCBS 1500 Charge Master is the single best reloading tool that I have ever bought bar none.

What is the McDonald's straw mod??.....................Terry

The "McDonald's Straw mod".

You slip the trimmed end of a McDonald's straw, or some other brand name large straw over the powder trickler tube.

It gives you a slightly longer trickle tube, and makes it less prone to over spill the last few grains of powder while the machine is close to, or finished trickling powder out.

Hope that wasn't too long for everyone.

- Bullwolf

Motor
10-12-2014, 12:39 PM
The "McDonald's Straw mod".

You slip the trimmed end of a McDonald's straw, or some other brand name large straw over the powder trickler tube.

It gives you a slightly longer trickle tube, and makes it less prone to over spill the last few grains of powder while the machine is close to, or finished trickling powder out.

Hope that wasn't too long for everyone.

- Bullwolf

I respectfully dissagree although it may work that way.

You INSERT about 1/2 inch of McD's straw INTO the tube. This allows the powder to slip eaisly off of the smooth edge in trickle mode. The problem is that the tube is threaded right to the end. This often causes a log jam when trickling. Then the dam breaks and you get an over charge. RCBS should have counterbored the tube.

BTW: All the mods are covered nicely on "you tube" check them out.

Motor

waco
10-12-2014, 12:51 PM
I love mine. Ever try to meter SR4759 through a regular powder hopper? Gravel is the first word that comes to mind. Worth every penny.

dragon813gt
10-12-2014, 01:07 PM
You may or may not need to add the straw. I haven't done it and have had no issues w/ overcharges. Saying this so people don't think you have to modify it.

OKSaddletramp
10-12-2014, 03:10 PM
WOW. 21 posts and not one "Don't waste your money." I don't think I've ever seen a product that seems so universally loved that at least someone didn't advocate an alternative. This is definitely going on my Christmas list.

Nicholas
10-12-2014, 03:38 PM
Don't get lazy or forgetful (I did and I am not saying which) and leave powder in the reservoir. You will have a devil of a time cleaning it out as it will react with the reservoir plastic and stick. As to cleaning, I use a small pointy round paint brush with long handle to clean out everything in the reservoir and the dump chute. It is as fast as my old Lee scoops and Lyman beam scale. For pistol loads, my old Lyman turret press with a set of Lee dies that charge through the die can meets my needs for loading speed.

My son bought mine for me. The first one had a problem with the trickle tube turning in the wrong direction. RCBS made good immediately including a shipping label for the faulty model. Great service and quite satisfied with the product.

The straw idea is a good tip that I will have to try.

Johnny_V
10-12-2014, 03:44 PM
Don't get lazy or forgetful (I did and I am not saying which) and leave powder in the reservoir. You will have a devil of a time cleaning it out as it will react with the reservoir plastic and stick.

I use a dryer sheet and wipe the inside of the hopper, thus preventing the powder from sticking from static. Also use the sheet on my funnels...

Another thing I LOVE about the Chargemaster is the ability to enter loads into memory and instantly recall them. Great tool to have in the reloading room..........

Bullwolf
10-12-2014, 08:27 PM
I use a small pointy round paint brush with long handle to clean out everything in the reservoir and the dump chute.

The straw idea is a good tip that I will have to try.

Mine came with the paint brush included for powder clean up.

I have used the straw trick, but I no longer bother with it anymore. It's not that big of a deal breaker to me.

- Bullwolf

Motor
10-12-2014, 09:34 PM
The straw mod works best with powders like IMR-4350, 4064, 4831, etc, etc. The large extruded stick types. I used to get at least 1 in 10 over charges, at least. Today I loaded 80 rds using 3 different stick powders and only had about 4 go over and none more than 2/10ths of a grain over.

You most likely will not see much difference with smaller granuler powder but hey, its a freekin MickyD's straw its not like it cost that much and if you feel you don't need it you simply remove it.

I have loads stored in the memory but that novalty wore off quickly. After calibration all you need to do is type in your charge weight and hit the dispense button. Who needs memory?

I also really like the auto dispense mode and keep mine in it at all times.

Motor

RickF
02-28-2015, 06:00 PM
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Charge Master now that I see a couple of folks have them on sale and also RCBS has the rebates, I've read in the past somewhere that the Charge Master will need to be plugged into a power conditioner or a UPS to not have calibration or charge issues … is that correct?

dragon813gt
02-28-2015, 07:31 PM
That's incorrect. I've had no issues w/ mine. And it's on the same circuit as a bunch of fluorescent lights. Let it warm up for ten minutes or so and you will be just fine.

RickF
02-28-2015, 08:18 PM
Good deal, thanks dragon … can't wait to get my hands on it in a few days.

r1kk1
03-01-2015, 09:55 AM
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Charge Master now that I see a couple of folks have them on sale and also RCBS has the rebates, I've read in the past somewhere that the Charge Master will need to be plugged into a power conditioner or a UPS to not have calibration or charge issues … is that correct?

Depends I guess. I've lived in rural places where a UPS helped with computer desktops. I'm getting ready to build in Northern New Mexico and I will find out. All in all I have not had the ChargeMaster plugged intentionally into a standalone device. Computers yes. Others things, no.

take care

r1kk1

kryogen
03-01-2015, 10:12 AM
I had one and sold it.
I am faster than thhe chargemaster to dump and trickle to +- .1 gn.
I load my target rounds to +- .02 gn so the chargemaster wasnt precise enough for me.
It's not much more precise vs the lee measure.... so I usually just dump with the measure like .2 grains under, and manually trickle the rest in approx 5 seconds....

even with the modified settings, I'm faster than the chargemaster.

One exception where it would be nice:
If you only want +-.1 grains, and can afford 3 or so, then you could load quickly to +- .1

I just cant stand to wait and look at it while it measures. I wasnt using it.

All my 223 semi auto is just volumetric on the progressive press anyway.

country gent
03-01-2015, 10:38 AM
I have an earlyier version of the chargemaster it works and is accurate but is also slower than other measures. I set an rcbs to dro[p 8-10 grns shy drop that in the pan of the charge master then hit the button. This allows it to start with the both tubes running and trickle the charge much faster for me. I made a aluinum leveling plate for mine to set on that helps alighn the scales with the charge unit and keeps it level. vibration will affect it like most scales also.Mine was plucced into a surge protector. My issue was trickling 40 grn+ charges from the starts time.

Alan in Vermont
03-01-2015, 10:58 AM
I don't know that I've ever seen a scale, unless it's real pricey lab equipment, that had definition enough to measure to two one hundredths of a grain.

dragon813gt
03-01-2015, 11:45 AM
Benchrest shooters all use volume measures. Accuracy to .01 grains isn't necessary. I've had no issues w/ my Chargemaster. I'm not trying to load 1,000 rounds an hour w/ it. W/ a Lee Turret press by the time I get to the charging die the load is ready and in the pan.

OuchHot!
03-01-2015, 02:12 PM
I occasionally take classes where I need 7-800rds of rifle ammo loaded to around 65g of long logs. My chargemaster is a real old one and takes about 17s to throw each charge. That generally does not get in my way as I use a single station press. Somewhere along the way I started throwing 50+ grains using a powder measure and topping it on the chargemaster. That process is faster than my cycle times with the single station and works well. I never needed a ups or power filter with mine but my house power isn't too rambunctious. The chargemaster has been durable and more accurate than I will ever need, including precision shooting.

kryogen
03-02-2015, 10:03 PM
dont make me regret selling mine at a rebate :P

r1kk1
03-04-2015, 09:51 PM
I haven't found a powder that stumped the ChargeMaster. I like #9, H110/W296, 800x, 4064 and 3031. I load quite a few different powders through mine. Way too long a list. Just picked up 5 wildcat barrels for the Encore and the loading data sent with the barrels, I believe I have most of those powders. My mechanical measure is a JDS Quick Measure. I love both of these powder dispensers.

take care

r1kk1

tddeangelo
03-04-2015, 10:40 PM
LOVE mine. I even run RL33 in mine, which is about like extruded #6 birdshot, lol, and it does fine. I keep a plastic spoon next to it. Any overcharges are quickly resolved by scooping out a few granules. I used to do this with my balance scale. A little practice and it can be done very fast. That keeps the charge count the same as the loaded rounds in the tray/box, so it's an easy visual cue that all is as it should be as far as your progress through your load work.

I usually have to wait 2-5 seconds with most powders from when I finish the seating operation and the next charge is ready. I am more than ok with that, as it makes loading larger batches less tedious to me than dumping/trickling/balance weighing each charge, at least for me.

Mine warms up fast, and calibrates quickly, and has for the 2-3 years I own it. I have a bullet I shot into water jugs and recovered that I use to check it once it's calibrated. In maybe 20 checks like that, it only was off once, by 0.1gr, and the bullet weighs over 300gr, so that's pretty good, I think.

OuchHot!
03-05-2015, 02:47 PM
I would like to hear how the hornaday unit is working out. It is about $100 cheaper. I have been having good luck with their tools so far. I like my rcbs and you can't beat the customer service but I like to see competition in the market.

Gellot Wilde
03-09-2015, 09:56 AM
I love mine, used nothing else for the last few years.

HOWEVER

Just this week it's developed a problem. It will run upto about 4grains away from the target weight, stop and then stay stopped for about 6 minutes before starting again to meet the weight.

I can't think I've done anything different, nothing in the book about that problem I am guessing it's a problem beyond my capabillities and more than likely in the circuit board?

Anyone else ever had theirs do this?

I'm intrested if it's a problem that fixable or does it mean time for a new one?

novalty
03-10-2015, 08:28 PM
The Limited 1 year warranty and error code 02009, is why I won't trade my Harrell's Precision for a Chargemaster.