PDA

View Full Version : Range report Super Redhawk

XBT
02-04-2008, 08:43 PM
I have been wanting a scoped hunting handgun for some time and after not finding anything interesting in the classifieds I broke down and went looking for new ones. I had already decided on a Ruger because I like the scope mounting system. I looked at Super Blackhawks, Redhawks, and finally came home with a Super Redhawk in .454 Casull.

The gun is nicely fitted and finished and has a good trigger pull right out of the box. I mounted a Weaver 2X scope and tried it with some .45 Colt rounds I had loaded for a Blackhawk. It shot very well.

Then I ordered some Starline .454 brass from Midway and found out right away that the alloy (50/50 wheelweights / pure lead) that I have been using in the Colt loads was not suitable for higher velocities. I cast a new batch of boolits using 50/50 wheelweights / linotype in a RCBS 255 SWC and they shoot much better than the softer boolits. The RCBS 255 SWC mold is a plain base type and at first I got some very light leading, but after firing several hundred rounds the leading problem has disappeared.

I am loading the 255 grn. boolit with enough 2400 to get a little over 1400 FPS and after a minor problem getting the mounts to hold the gun is settled in and shooting twelve shot groups of around two inches at fifty yards. This is excellent performance by my standards and I am very happy with it. The gun is heavy enough that the recoil at that velocity seems mild.

I’m not sure if I can get away yet, but with some luck I might be able to hunt Javelina in Arizona with this gun later this month. If successful I will post a picture.

Three44s
02-05-2008, 12:07 AM
Sounds like you and your newest Thumper are getting along nicely!

My SRH 9.5" in .44 is one of my favorites.

Three 44s

68 couper
02-05-2008, 01:15 AM
I picked one up in 44 also a couple of months ago. Very nice shooter. I put a brownells spring kit in it and it helped the trigger even more. I've been shooting it better than most of my Smiths. I think I have $20.00 into the kit. It came with a bunch of different springs for getting just the feel you want. I don't like a hair but 3lb is sweet. Have fun!

Whitworth
02-05-2008, 10:52 AM
I've have a couple of SRHs and I love 'em! My favorite is the .480 that Jack Huntington converted to .475 Linebaugh...... I also have a Casull that shoots really well. I've have kept it open sighted and have no intentions of scoping this one (my .475 has a red dot on it).

Have you thought of loading it with heavier bullets? They really shine with 300 + grain bullets.

TCLouis
02-05-2008, 08:13 PM
I too have the 44 mag and it is a shooter.

Three different shooters proved that one afternoon using an improvised folded piece of cardboard for a rest and shooting with a correction from the first called shot which was a miss, but called by the spotter and all three of us shot using his called correction.

All that to say it performs far better than I can shoot.

XBT
02-05-2008, 09:48 PM
I've have a couple of SRHs and I love 'em! My favorite is the .480 that Jack Huntington converted to .475 Linebaugh...... I also have a Casull that shoots really well. I've have kept it open sighted and have no intentions of scoping this one (my .475 has a red dot on it).

Have you thought of loading it with heavier bullets? They really shine with 300 + grain bullets.

I might do that. RCBS has a gas checked 300 grn. that looks good.

Up until now I have stayed away from the heavy boolits and higher velocity loads in large calibers because of the recoil, but this gun is quite heavy and the recoil is not too bad.

Whitworth
02-05-2008, 10:55 PM
I might do that. RCBS has a gas checked 300 grn. that looks good.

Up until now I have stayed away from the heavy boolits and higher velocity loads in large calibers because of the recoil, but this gun is quite heavy and the recoil is not too bad.

It will get your attention when you start jacking the velocity up with heavy bullets. I have shot 400 grain WFNs at 1400 fps in mine and it's quite brutal. But, the good news is that you don't need to push the heavy boolits fast to be effective. I would also suggest a set of Hogue Tamer wraparound grips. They're really comfortable and they are contoured. Here's a pic of my .475 SRH with the Hogue Tamer grips on it. Keep us posted!

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/MarkoR/DSC02676.jpg

Whitworth
02-07-2008, 10:19 AM
XBT -- try some 335 - 360 grain LFNs. Mine really likes 360 grainers! They penetrate like hell!