PDA

View Full Version : NEF Sidekick 50 cal

Taylor
10-10-2014, 07:28 AM
are they worth the hassle,the "plastic thingy" that you need to fire this thing. Hopefully I misread Numerichs web site--$9 each! Can the factory breach plug be replaced with something more useful?

Nobade
10-10-2014, 07:52 AM
There is somebody making different breech plugs, they talk about them over on Graybeard's forum as "the plug that can't be named" since the guy got banned from that site. Evidently they are very good. A buddy here has a couple of those rifles and ended up making his own primer carriers out of aluminum and brass, those seem to work pretty good as well. I think if I had one I'd figure out how to use something like a 38 spl case modified to hold a shotgun primer and come up with a good breech plug for those.

-Nobade

Taylor
10-10-2014, 08:24 AM
Metricsunlimited makes or did make it.Will give them a call later this morning.A friend has one in his shop,no tool with it either.He wants $200...too much I think.When I saw it,I thought of my brother,who wants a brake barrel.I was going to buy it for him,not sure now. Appearance wise,it looks good.Nice wood and blue is good too.I would imagine making a breech plug tool should be simple.I'm going to visit him this weekend,would be nice to give him a gun.Help pay for my beans and corn bread.

nekshot
10-10-2014, 08:36 AM
I got a replacement plug from a fellow in canada that takes 25 auto brass. Works great plus you get alot of info from his site concerning loads. I,ll try find his address. I like mine and if its in good shape and shoots like most of them do thats not a really bad price.

shredder
10-10-2014, 09:24 AM
I got a replacement plug from a fellow in canada that takes 25 auto brass. Works great plus you get alot of info from his site concerning loads. I,ll try find his address. I like mine and if its in good shape and shoots like most of them do thats not a really bad price.

prbullet.com

johnson1942
10-10-2014, 10:55 AM
try smokeless muzzle loader inc. you will find them on the internet. they make custom muzzle loaders out of h and r and other breakaction rifles. they ought to be able to repace your breech plug. their breech plugs use 209 primers. the gun they built for my son if top end and didnt cost a arm and a leg.

Odinbreaker
10-10-2014, 12:30 PM
The website in Canada got breech plugs is prbullet. Precision Rifle.

Jal5
10-11-2014, 10:19 PM
metricsunlimited makes a good plug for use with the 209 primers
much more effective ignition
no blowback
the only way you can use 209 BP substitute also
these guns are pretty accurate and I have taken a bunch of deer with mine

Joe

Taylor
10-14-2014, 06:37 AM
I bought it,and am currently at my brothers house.To say the least,he likes it.The breech plug should be in the mail box today.Ordered from Bob at MetricsUnlimited.A really good guy to talk to.

Now I want one! I think I will send a frame to H&R for rebarrel to muzzler loader and then order another breech plug from Bob.Only bad thing is there are no more wooden fore arms,only plastic.It will require a hammer spur and high rings to clear the hammer and have thumb room.

bubba.50
10-14-2014, 06:00 PM
gunstocksinc has stocks & fore-ends for huntsman listed. about 85 bucks for both pieces.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
10-16-2014, 12:47 AM
I have the huntsman , like the side kick but can take shotgun barrels and 357 and 44

you can order them carriers from NEF/remingtion for 9 dollars for 25 i think it is , they last a lot longer than they say they do , if your loads are not overboard , 80 gr and you will get 20 plus firings from one

I ,made a little hand tool to press the old primer out of it and not bugger it up but the easiest thing to do is use a fostner bit about the same size as they are around then drill a through hole just big enough for the primer then use a chisle to remover a spot for the tab , then you can easily push out the old primer without damaging the carrier

I added a hinge and mine lays in the hand sqweeze and a pin pushes the old primer out

Taylor
10-16-2014, 04:40 PM
Greencountypete,how 'bout some pics of that set up.