PDA

View Full Version : So, you want a nice diopter sight on a Mosin

texassako
10-09-2014, 10:10 PM
I have been asked about the rear diopter sight on my M28/76 several times. Here is a write up on what it looks like and what would need to be done to fit one, or a similar sight, to a different model. It also uses a taller globe sight on the front that I did not picture here.

First is the mounted sight, it fits under most scopes, and the flashed out elevation scale is just lines:

Here is how the bolt handle is modified. It is dovetailed and soldered into the bolt body, and there is a notch in the receiver rail at the bend. I think it is a very clever way to 'bend' a Mosin bolt that others could easily fit as long as they can cut a dovetail and silver solder.

The reason for the flatness and bend of the handle can be seen here. You could not operate the rifle otherwise.

A bit is milled off at an angle here so that the safety can be set with the sight installed.

A dovetail slot is milled into receiver side for the sight, and note the hole for the sight retaining screw.

Front of sight off the rifle, left knob is windage, top is elevation, and one near base is to lock elevation. You can kind of see how the sight is dovetailed in the fuzzy part of the picture. Retaining screw threads into sight and pins into receiver.

Top of sight

Rear of sight

CHeatermk3
10-10-2014, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the pix, Tex!

30calflash
10-10-2014, 08:59 PM
Yes, thanks for the photos. Interesting way to mount the sight.

I've never seen that model rifle, this helped a lot. 30calflash.