PDA

View Full Version : Lyman vs RCBS mould attaching screw differences

ohland
10-09-2014, 08:56 PM
Today while casting some 358429 boolits, I was happily knocking the sprue plate open, boolits were dropping pretty well, and then there was a big sploosh... Way To the Future? What was THAT?
Huh, lookee that!

Moral of the story, when using Ideal/Lyman molds, make sure the pivot screw for each half is snug before you start casting.

No, the mold half did NOT warp. It mates perfectly with the other half. But it sure messes up your casting rhythm....

Perhaps the RCBS method of retaining the pivot pins is less affected by this issue because the pivot pins are held in by set screws. Any rotational force acts only on the pins, not on the separate set screw...

rintinglen
10-09-2014, 09:14 PM
Gives a whole new insight into water dropping.

ohland
10-09-2014, 09:39 PM
How many of you want to cast faster, but waiting for the sprue to harden is just too slow? Well, cheer up, bunky! The new Flowmaster line of liquid-cooled molds is here! As shown on Cast Boolits, this revolutionary advancement can be yours for four payments of 19.99, but wait! There's more! Order the kit now! (small screwdriver for Lyman molds, -OR- at no charge, a brand new allen wrench for RCBS molds).

Why are you waiting? Send $$$ to me!

Vulcan Bob
10-09-2014, 11:10 PM
Glad to see it didn't get the "bends" resurfacing! Good advise, I have found some of mine loose even after they were nice and tight.

country gent
10-09-2014, 11:21 PM
Casting today one of the group had a new 40 cal mould mounted on lee handles I happened to glance as he moved the mould to see both the screw heads starting to show about half. Handed him the screw driver and he tightened them up hot so they shopuld stay put now. Loosing a screw in my pot is gone till it gets emptied down alot as it holds 100+ lbs of lead.

Bent Ramrod
10-09-2014, 11:24 PM
At least the block half didn't fall into the lead pot. That really busts up a casting session.

Don't ask me how I know this...

dondiego
10-10-2014, 11:02 AM
Casting today one of the group had a new 40 cal mould mounted on lee handles I happened to glance as he moved the mould to see both the screw heads starting to show about half. Handed him the screw driver and he tightened them up hot so they shopuld stay put now. Loosing a screw in my pot is gone till it gets emptied down alot as it holds 100+ lbs of lead.

Wouldn't that screw be floating on top of the lead?

Don

ohland
10-10-2014, 12:52 PM
Wouldn't that screw be floating on top of the lead? Don

Yes it would indeed.

fatnhappy
10-11-2014, 11:15 AM
hey, 1 bit of advice: float a couple sponges on top of the water in your bucket or place a cloth loosely on top of the bucket, secure it with a big rubber band and cut a slit in the center. Having the cloth loose before securing in will allow it to dip down in the center and act like a funnel.

Either of these will reduce/eliminate water from splashing back at you while water dropping.