PDA

View Full Version : best bang 4 my buck

calsite
02-04-2008, 07:30 PM
I was refered over to this section, looking to buy a luber-sizer, I checked the prices of new ones (yowza!) and then began thinking about used equipment. If you all had about 100 dallar bill to spend on a luber-sizer, dies, top punch what would you be thinking to do. I currently have lee and I'm getting tired of L. alox and pan lube getting all over. I've heard older Lymman 450's are good and tough, I'm assuming compatable with new Lyman and RCBS dies and Top Punches?

So, Luber-sizer veterans sound-off.

Scrounger
02-04-2008, 07:39 PM
Well I have an old Lyman 45 that looks to be in pretty good shape. I've never used it but I can't see anything wrong with it. You can have it for $50 shipped if you want it.

Maven
02-04-2008, 08:03 PM
calsite,

"Which of the sizers (used please as funds are short at the moment) would you recommend?"

Lyman #450's and RCBS' Lub-A-Matic I & II's can be found used for reasonable prices v. the cost of a new one. I have all 3 (the latter 2 were bought used on E-Bay), but find the Lyman just a trifle easier to work with. However, it is also prone to leaking or rather, extruding, lube from the bottom. A shirt-cardboard gasket fitted to the base of the #450 cures the problem 100%. The RCBS L-A-M-s have a solid base and can't leak. Btw, sizing dies for the Lyman fit the RCBS' & vice versa. Ditto top punches. The latter can be easily adapted to fit CB's that are cast from "foreign" molds or fabricated from a hex bolt of suitable diameter.

Lloyd Smale
02-05-2008, 06:34 AM
you ought to pick up scroungers. I actually liked the old 45s better then the new ones. Other then a little lube leakage around the die they were a more reliable press in my opinion

bullshot
02-05-2008, 09:01 AM
Scrounger
If Calsite is not interested I am.

Springfield
02-05-2008, 11:26 AM
Take that 100, and add a 50 to it and get a good used Star.

calsite
02-05-2008, 02:19 PM
Well, Ive told scrounger that I'll buy his. He stated that it does not have a heater built into it. So how will I melt my lube and keep it melted. Will a new lyman heater fit ? I've read here about melting your lube and pouring it into your sizer, How do you keep it melted?

mtgrs737
02-05-2008, 03:00 PM
The soft lubes don't require you to use a heater as they flow in room temps. The hard lubes do require a heater but are not as messy to load. I use the soft lube.

dubber123
02-05-2008, 03:09 PM
The soft lubes don't require you to use a heater as they flow in room temps. The hard lubes do require a heater but are not as messy to load. I use the soft lube.

I agree, the only benefit I have seen thus far to running a hard lube is if you like to store large quantities of lubed boolits. Check out some of the Lar45's lubes, (link at bottom of page), he sells a variety, and will even send you a sample pack. They are much cheaper to buy than most.

I have 2 lubers, one with a heater, 1 without. Since I started making my own soft lube a couple months ago, the one filled with hard lube has gone unused.

calsite
02-06-2008, 08:43 AM
Soft lube, you mean liquid? I've made a triple batch of Felix's lube but it definately doesn't flow at room temperature. The onle real bad thing that I've heard about soft lube is it can melt off inside the case if temperatures get too high.

calsite
02-06-2008, 08:54 AM
So now that I'm a proud owner of a Lyman 45 luber-sizer, other pieces that I will need to obtain will be sizer dies and top punches of desired dimensions, What about gas checks? Is there an additional piece that seats gas checks?

MT Gianni
02-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Soft lube, you mean liquid? I've made a triple batch of Felix's lube but it definately doesn't flow at room temperature. The onle real bad thing that I've heard about soft lube is it can melt off inside the case if temperatures get too high.

FWFL should flow through a lubrisizer at room temps under pressure. It may have too much wax if it doesn't. Do not take this to mean it should be runny enough to pour at a room temp. G