PDA

View Full Version : I found somebody's check.

Harter66
10-09-2014, 06:33 PM
I have a check that got slipped into my wallet back in January from Mason Tx.
I don't know if it'll go through now or not and if it does well a lot of us are on low income ratios so I don't want to just drop it in the bank an have it muck up your end if it is honored. Obviously I must have been in a stretch for money at the time I don't even remember what the item might have been. :)

odfairfaxsub
10-09-2014, 06:42 PM
Sad face. Sometimes the persons phone num is on the check

Harter66
10-09-2014, 06:47 PM
Not this time I have a name too but ....umm err... shhh it might not even be some body on this forum. :)

montana_charlie
10-09-2014, 08:54 PM
It's now October.
If I wrote a check for a guy back in January and he hasn't cashed it yet ... he might find that a stop payment was put on it after the first three months of inactivity.

Harter66
10-09-2014, 09:29 PM
Ok it was written 1/20 ,then add in mail time ,I hosted weekends of shoots in February, and left for a job hunt that took me to Las Vegas.Kingman Az,Flagstaff, several NM towns,Amarillo Tx ,OKC,El Reno Ok,Mc Calister ,Poteau Ok,Mena ,Fort Smith, Fayetteville Ar,Springfield and Joplin Mo,down through Texarkana, Corsicana San Antonio, El Paso, Tucson, Phoenix Az ,Las Vegas again,Tonopah and back home in Beautiful Hawthorne (sarc). It is entirely possible that I may have been just been a touch distracted.
Fact is I don't even remember what I might have sent as I have this bad habit of sending stuff before I get paid and I guess deleting stuff in the PM box . At this point it's really just to clear both books . It's not like I got paid and stiffed somebody . In fact at this point I would probably just blow it off as a Merry Christmas but I wanted to have the opportunity to say that ,but ,thanks for taking the time to express your incredibly helpful insight into what a complete idiot I must be .

Plate plinker
10-09-2014, 09:39 PM
My credit union will not cash a check that old. Guess how I know this.

Harter66
10-09-2014, 10:25 PM
Well I guess its a lost cause it's only 50 bucks and I've probably wasted more than the in sending stuff for free.

starmac
10-09-2014, 11:50 PM
If it was mine I would say run it and see, I would never have sent you one in the first place if I didn't want you to have it. I have had checks go through that I forgot to sign, so even if it is a banks policy to not cash a check after a certain date, I wouldn't automatically assume it is no good.

triggerhappy243
10-10-2014, 12:12 AM
add a 0 after the one..... with the same color ink.... go cash it.

Balta
10-10-2014, 12:30 AM
add a 0 after the one..... with the same color ink.... go cash it.

Hahaha , well that is what i call a friendly advice

triggerhappy243
10-10-2014, 12:32 AM
always worked for me.

jlucke69
10-10-2014, 08:58 AM
If it was my check, I would honor it even if the bank does not. You earned it and time does not change that.

NoAngel
10-10-2014, 09:29 AM
Try it. Worst they can do is refuse it.

Hamish
10-10-2014, 09:38 AM
"but ,thanks for taking the time to express your incredibly helpful insight into what a complete idiot I must be ."

Thanks for the chuckle this morning!

Beerd
10-10-2014, 09:44 AM
mail it back to the check writer with a note and see what happens.

montana_charlie
10-10-2014, 12:45 PM
Ok it was written 1/20 ,then add in mail time ,I hosted weekends of shoots in February, and left for a job hunt that took me to Las Vegas.Kingman Az,Flagstaff, several NM towns,Amarillo Tx ,OKC,El Reno Ok,Mc Calister ,Poteau Ok,Mena ,Fort Smith, Fayetteville Ar,Springfield and Joplin Mo,down through Texarkana, Corsicana San Antonio, El Paso, Tucson, Phoenix Az ,Las Vegas again,Tonopah and back home in Beautiful Hawthorne (sarc). It is entirely possible that I may have been just been a touch distracted.
My! That's a lot of reasons for not acting promptly to cash a check that "got slipped into your wallet".
If the check writer could tell us, I wonder how many 'special' things he had to do to keep that fifty dollars untouched in his account for nine months ... waiting for you to do your part.

CM

dilly
10-10-2014, 12:54 PM
This is why I don't use checks. I want the amount of money in my bank account to very closely resemble the amount of money I have available to me.

Good luck finding some closure on the mystery.

starmac
10-10-2014, 01:09 PM
Just curious, what kind of special things does a guy have to do to keep money in his account that he has actually spent for all practicle purposes?? I guess I don't really see a problem, unless a guy wants to close the account.

Harter66
10-10-2014, 01:39 PM
I know there are folks here that live pretty close to the board. So the reason to try to locate them is professional courtesy.

RKJ
10-10-2014, 01:55 PM
If I write someone a check I expect the money to be there whenever they decide to cash it. It sounds like the OP is trying to ensure whomever sent it doesn't get burned by the long time period.

Harter66
10-10-2014, 03:10 PM
If I write someone a check I expect the money to be there whenever they decide to cash it. It sounds like the OP is trying to ensure whomever sent it doesn't get burned by the long time period.

Bullseye 10x

shooterg
10-10-2014, 03:35 PM
If the address is on check, look him up on Switchboard or equivalent, maybe he has a listed phone number ?

SharpsShooter
10-10-2014, 03:41 PM

That's the way I see it too. No problem. Simple math.

SS

Handloader109
10-10-2014, 06:01 PM
From here, I'd cash the check. If you had not Sent item to me, I'd have long ago contacted you.

Harter66
10-10-2014, 06:53 PM
I located the holder of the account. All is resolved. We actually had a good laugh ,he's been as busy as I and on the road a bunch .

MaryB
10-10-2014, 10:41 PM
If I have something out longer than 6 months I write it off as lost. And I usually put what I bought not a name into my check register so figuring out who it would be could be difficult to impossible with all the buying/selling/trading I do(well used to do, last year this neck injury pretty much stalled that)

Harter66
10-11-2014, 07:35 AM
We often hear everything for a reason, turns out this fella which as it turns out is in good standing everywhere we have crossed is in a bad way and has been for most of the year . Turns out that I'm out about $11 for shipping on the deal we made , and some might say we'll what about the $40 in stuff. ..... Turns out it was some pig in poke stuff from a bunch of "sure you can have that for $8 but for 10 you can take the whole box" deals from last year late. Now between the two truck tires and tires for the camper trailer and the fridge that took a dump 28 hours before 11 days of gone hunting $40 bucks ain't diddly. So from 1 guy having a bad week to a guy that has been done up all summer Merry Unbirthday.

starmac
10-11-2014, 12:49 PM
sounds like a happy ending all the way around. If I had all the 50 bucks that I have wasted back in my possession at one time, I would not be working anymore.lol