PDA

View Full Version : Tired of wasting powder

Pinsnscrews
10-09-2014, 04:03 PM
My 8 inch barreled .222rem Contender is a lot of fun to shoot. However, it only burns about half the powder in a 60% load of H4227.

How can I go about working up a pistol powder load using either Longshot or 800x as those are the powders I have at hand.

I plan on shooting the Lee Bators out of it, with a target velocity above 1500fps. I can use this round in IHMSA at my local range as long as the velocity is below 2000fps to prevent damaging the targets.

Since I intended to shoot half size targets, longest range is about 100yards.

I am open to suggestions, whether they involve filler to keep the powder tight to the primer, changing from small rifle to other types of primers, to paper patching. I just really like this combo, and would like to not waste that much powder with each shot. Setting up a sheet to reuse what doesn't burn is however, not going to work with the range I shoot at LOL. Yes, I did think abo it.

NavyVet1959
10-09-2014, 04:45 PM
I would probably try around 8 gr of Longshot and chrono it. I've seen that used for a low .223 and the .222 brass is not that much less capacity.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?868-Longshot-in-small-bores

WALLNUTT
10-09-2014, 07:04 PM
What IHMSA game do you use a 222 at half size targets? I've been away for a long time.

Pinsnscrews
10-09-2014, 07:26 PM
Wallnutt pretty much any of the Full Size classes can be shot Half Size. I need to pick up a williams or Lyman rear peep so I can run in both Iron Sight and Any Sight classes. Mine did not have a rear sight when I bought it. (Wife talked them down $100 because of that, though I personally think he agreed to get her to go away LOL)

NavyVet thanks for that link I missed it when I ran the Search.

WALLNUTT
10-10-2014, 10:01 PM
WOW IHMSA sure has changed since the 1980s. I feel like Rip Van Winkle.

Pinsnscrews
10-10-2014, 10:22 PM
I did the same thing. I was shooting in the late '80's and very early '90's. Walked away from firearms until 4 years ago and am just now getting back into it. I have shot Hunter's Field Pistol that last few times out and Small Bore Half Size Unlimited. I am going to try my hand again at Hunters Pistol with my 10mm 1911, as well as Big Bore Unlimited/Standing & Freestyle with my .357 Herrett, and Half Size Unlimited with my .222

Now I just need to be healthy on the day of the next meet LOL