PDA

View Full Version : Gauge pin set - Exceptionally useful measuring tool

EDG
10-09-2014, 12:51 AM
I recently won an eBay auction for a used set of .251 to .500 gauge pins made by SPI. These are minus pins made .0002 (called 2 tenths because it is 2 tenths of a thousandth) undersize. Thus they will fit in a hole exactly on size.
I bought them because I have checked the neck diameter of more than 100 FL dies and seater dies using small hole gauges and a mike. I have more than 4 decades using a mike and the small hole gauges so I got good numbers. It can be a little tedious trying to get a consistent measurement repeatedly on the same bore. Using the pins takes about 20 to 30 seconds to find the best fitting pin. I record this data for later case forming and sizing operations.

The pins are useful for checking lubrisizer dies. If you lap a lubrisizer die oversize you can check it for size quickly. If the die ejector pin leaks you can buy a new pin for about $3.50 and cut it off to replace the pin in the die.
Then there are the bore (land) diameters in barrels. For example I just checked the muzzle of a 1940 VZ 24 at .311, and 1897 Dutch 6.5X53 navy rifle at .259 and a new Dutch carbine barrel at .255. A Lee Enfield was .303 (surprise surprise). Obviously the 2 Dutch barrels will probably produce different pressures with the same loads. That is if the grooves are the same depths - the groove diameters will be very different. I checked a Carcano 38 carbine with a like mint bore at .255 and a some what used 1941 rifle at .256. I have not shot these rifles with .264 bullets but with .009 and .008 worth of engraving there is chance both will work.
I do know the 1941 develops high pressures with the Hornady .267 Carcano bullets.

You can also use the pins to check the throat diameters in revolver cylinders. You can also use them to measure the base diameter of a gas check or plain base bullet mold. If the bullet is a bevel base you are out of luck though.

Cowboy_Dan
10-09-2014, 02:49 AM
I was just looking for a set of these earlier today, but could not find them at Lowes or Big R. Also did not find them at Harbor Freight a few weeks ago. Any leads on where I could find them other than the laboratory-grade measuring device website which wants more than I want to pay for them?

smokeywolf
10-09-2014, 04:13 AM
Take a lesson from EDG and get them the same place. SPI is a pretty good brand.

smokeywolf

GLL
10-09-2014, 10:47 AM
Machine tool auctions are a good place to find measuring equipment ! I bought this Meyer minus set for $30. It was so cheap because some of the pins and the outside of the box were covered with blue layout dye. It easily washed off with acetone.

http://www.fototime.com/6B38557F6AEEE8D/medium800.jpg

Jerry

dragonrider
10-09-2014, 11:35 AM
I got mine from Grizzly tools, . However I just checked the web site and the 2014 catalog I have and I can't find them listed. Perhaps they are no longer available.

DougGuy
10-09-2014, 11:44 AM
Haha Jerry, if you got those from ebay I was KICKING myself for not winning that same exact set..

Meyer Gage is the best source for single gages, for Z (.0001") or ZZ (.0002") minus gages add the M to the end of the size = Meyer part number. Example(s) .4505ZM .4510ZM .4515ZM etc.. They are really good people to deal with and shipping is fast and affordable.

Phone: 1-888-Pin-Gage (1-888-746-4243) | In CT:1-860-528-6526

http://www.meyergage.com/products/class-z-sets-libraries/

GLL
10-09-2014, 01:40 PM
Doug:

I got mine at a local machine tool auction here in Los Angeles. Almost every bidder at the site was after big machines so the tooling and small stuff went cheaply.
The M-2 (minus-0.0001") set normally sells for over $260.

Jerry

EDG
10-09-2014, 04:35 PM
Cowboy Dan
You can find the pin sets from China with buy it now pricing on Ebay. They are budget pin sets and are more than adequate for our use. Enco also pedals sets but they are more expensive than eBay. You can also do the ebay auctions and you might get a good deal if you are persistent.
All the machine shop supply houses sell them but the top quality brands are very costly. Then the shipping is expensive since a set of pins might weigh 20 pounds.
Shop around for discount pricing.
The brands I have used are DoAll, Vermont, SPI, Meyer and Deltronics.

376Steyr
10-09-2014, 06:02 PM
I got mine from Grizzly tools, . However I just checked the web site and the 2014 catalog I have and I can't find them listed. Perhaps they are no longer available.

I, too, got mine from Grizzly. I did some serious internet digging to get to a page that told me they were no longer available. Too bad, as I've been happy with my set of 'minus' gauges and was thinking about getting a set of "plus" gauges to compliment it.

Cowboy_Dan
10-09-2014, 08:58 PM
Thanks, everyone. And sorry for the hijack.

Chuck_ls
10-16-2014, 08:05 PM
I bought a couple of cheap china sets on ebay. I chose the minus set after a bit of study. They are as accurate as I need and were pretty affordable. They really make checking sizing dies or any small hole quick and accurate.
Chuck

John Boy
10-16-2014, 08:27 PM
You can also use ...
Put the pin in the bore and divide the diameter by 2 = center of the bore. Witness mark the barrel at the muzzle. Divide the foresight dovetail base by 2 = center of the foresight. Witness mark the foresight base. Line the 2 witness marks ups = foresight properly mounted on rifle barrel

.22-10-45
10-16-2014, 09:08 PM
I have found another use for these pins...ironing out dings around base band in moulds! The edge must first be rounded very slightly & polished so as not to dig into mould surface..thgis does no harm as only 1 end need be altered. In use, chose a pin that will just enter undamaged cavity if dbl. cavity..or one that is nominal size for mould..and using smooth faced vice..I use Bridgeport mill vice..making sure pin is perpendicular to mould top..squeeze blocks together. Might have to go up a thou or so to completly remove dent. finish by gently going over face & top of block with hard Arkansas stone.

EDG
10-17-2014, 02:44 AM
You can do that and many other things even if you have to sacrifice a pin. Most replacement pins are $2.50 to $3.50.
If you have to lose one to save a mold -so be it.

I have found another use for these pins...ironing out dings around base band in moulds! The edge must first be rounded very slightly & polished so as not to dig into mould surface..thgis does no harm as only 1 end need be altered. In use, chose a pin that will just enter undamaged cavity if dbl. cavity..or one that is nominal size for mould..and using smooth faced vice..I use Bridgeport mill vice..making sure pin is perpendicular to mould top..squeeze blocks together. Might have to go up a thou or so to completly remove dent. finish by gently going over face & top of block with hard Arkansas stone.

ProfGAB101
10-18-2014, 01:14 AM
Hint - hint - hint....

Keep an eye out on ebay... I used to work at an ISO 9000 manufacturing facility and they have to do certification and re-certification on a time table. Some stuff can be done in house but other things require outside 3rd party inspection.

IIRC after 2 years of service the gage pins had to be re-cert by a 3rd party - It was cheaper to toss them in the dumpster and order a new set (comes with proper certs...)

I have 4 sets which were de-commissioned (Tossed on paper for an asset write off). Could have had 20+ sets if I had spoken up sooner. Mine are all metric since all our documentation was metric.

Otherwise wait for an Enco 20% off sale and buy a set. (Not ISO certified, but perfect for small shop use.)