PDA

View Full Version : .30 carbine & boolits

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-04-2008, 05:33 PM
I have cast a nice batch of bullets with thenew group buy mold. (Thanks Garansrus) Mine cast out about .312-313" or so. I have a Lee .309" and .311" push through dies coming in this week, was considering shooting as cast.

I built my rifle from a kit and my barrel is like new old stock dated 3-53 and made by Springfield Armory (The Gov't Arsenal, not Genesco, ILL.) and has had fewer than 50 rounds fired through it. I slugged it out at .308" to.308.5" groove diameter with a land diameter of .299". Planned powder is W296, H110 or 4227, as I have those on the shelf.

I loaded up some dummy rounds (no primer or powder, but sized, trimmed, seated and crimped w/Lee FCD) using the "as cast" boolits seated to 1.675" OAL and hand cycled them them to check function. The rifle, with all new parts/springs and everything functioning correctly with Winchester White box ball, cannot extract these dummy rounds when hand cycled. After removing the dummy cartridges from the chamber, I find a bit of the exposed band outside the brass case after seating has had a "sliver" of lead shaved off, indicating the chamber is probably too small for the boolits "as cast."

I've seen with J word bullets this particular gun has more accuracy potential than most (Getting about half normal sized carbine groups with ball ammo.)

Based on the above information, what sizer do you folks recommend as the better diamter to match up with the barrel I have?
Thanks,

Dave

twotrees
02-04-2008, 06:22 PM
My carbines are Korean era Winchesters and both shoot .309 sized 115 gr gas checked boolits. I lube them with NRA graphite formula lube and have not had a hang-up or mis-feed with them. Before you give up, try sizing them with your .309 die and try that in your rifle.

Good Shooting,

TwoTrees (Douglasville Ga)

osage
02-05-2008, 12:38 AM
Dave, I just measured my loads with the GB 30carbine at 1.668. I don't recall having issues with my dummy rounds as my bolt goes into battery. I sized & lubed them with a .311 H&I and they measure .310. I have not used my Lee .309 on the GB boolits just a 311359GC. I've only run about hundred rounds of the GB boolits thru my well worn War Baby. Using H4227 now to action to cycle. Unique made for a nice single shot.
I have a box of LC Sept 52 Ball that measure 1.671 to 1.675 OAL, bullet is .304 at case mouth.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-05-2008, 12:57 AM
Sounds like I just need to size them down a bit based on what ya'll are saying. I think I'll try the .311and the .309 on 20 boolits each, then decide when one to keep using. I think the "as cast" is going to be a bit too tight and cause pressure spikes. If anyone disagrees and/or knows better, please let me know, as most of my cast boolits have beein in pistol calibers. just getting into rifle.

In any case, I had no intentions of giving up, just didn't want to cause a pressure spike and damage my rifle. Thing shows too much promise to ruin it.

Regards,

Dave

jcwit
02-05-2008, 11:44 AM
I size mine to .310.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-05-2008, 04:52 PM
Got in the .311 sizer today and tried it out. Got in the .311 sizer today and tried it out. They sized out to .310.5" and this is just about ideal for my barrel, I'm thinking. After sizing, loaded up some dummy rounds. They all chambered and extracted with no lead shaving. I think I'm set to load some real cartridges.

Regards,

Dave

osage
02-05-2008, 07:37 PM
Dave it's good to hear that sizing corrected the dummy rounds. :-D

Patrick L
02-05-2008, 11:04 PM
My carbines shot .308 commercial cast bullets into shotgun patterns. I size my boolits (from both the 120RN and 120RF group buys) to .311 and they shoot like a house afire, as do the same boolits loaded as cast and lubed with LLA. I have some pictures of targets posted in the Group Buy Results forum.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-05-2008, 11:55 PM
Osage,

Those dummy rounds have saved me many a time, both with correcting reloading/feeding problems and with problems guns I've done or will be doing gunsmithing on. Really handy when it's a firearm type I haven't worked on or have little experience with. Lot safer than those loaded cartridges. And I appreciate your help, for sure.

Pat,

I saw your post and used the information in it to make a decision when I ordered my .311 sizer die. My barrel is brand spanking new condition wise, being "new old stock." I've been mostly concerned with chamber pressure issues, since we installed the barrel, chambered it fairly tightly (with a commercial version of a M1 carbine GI chamber reamer) and head spaced it on the tighter end of specifications on a civilian made receiver. I definately wanted to be cautious about the possibility of pressure.

I want to say your post was most helpful and I'm glad you posted. Definately helped me. I'm looking forward to loading some cartridges up tomorrow after the LLA dries and taking the rifle to the range this weekend. By then, I'll have had time to polish the feedramp, if the polishing for blueing doesn't get in the way.

Regards,

Dave

mto7464
02-06-2008, 10:43 PM
I have sized to .309 and .311. I haven't shoot the as dropped yet, damn snow, but between the .311 and .309 i got better groups out of the .311.

Newtire
02-07-2008, 09:59 AM
I don't have that plain based design but shoot a gas checked one of 125 gr. (the Lee 120 RN) with either 8.5 gr. BlueDot or 12.5 gr. Win 296. I size mine to .309". .308" don't shoot worth mentioning. Would be nice to know what kind of accuracy you guys get with that thing and what speeds you can push it to. Hope it works out great!

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-07-2008, 12:44 PM
Newtire,

I'll be shooting mine this Saturday if the weather holds. Based on the measurements of my barrel, I suspect .308 and .309 are going to be too small a diameter to get a good seal going down the barrel. I think if you size at .310- .311 you're going to find what you're seeking.

I'll be proving my theory this Saturday afternoon.

Regards,

Dave

Newtire
02-07-2008, 11:37 PM
Newtire,
I think if you size at .310- .311 you're going to find what you're seeking.

Dave

Ij mean to say that .308" doesn't shoot worth anything but that the ones sized .309" shoot very accurately. This is just in my karabine mind you.