PDA

View Full Version : 96 years ago today

fatnhappy
10-08-2014, 06:17 PM
Oct 8, 1918:

U.S. soldier Alvin York displays heroics at Argonne

On this day in 1918, United States (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/topics/states) Corporal Alvin C. York reportedly kills over 20 German soldiers and captures an additional 132 at the head of a small detachment in the Argonne Forest near the Meuse River in France. The exploits later earned York the Congressional Medal of Honor.
Born in 1887 in a log cabin near the Tennessee (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/topics/tennessee)-Kentucky (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/topics/kentucky) border, York was the third of 11 children in a family supported by subsistence farming and hunting. After experiencing a religious conversion, he became a fundamentalist Christian around 1915. Two years later, when the United States entered World War I (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/topics/world-war-i), York was drafted into the U.S. Army. After being denied conscientious-objector status, York enlisted in the 82nd Infantry Division and in May 1918 arrived in France for active duty on the Western Front. He served in the successful Saint-Mihiel offensive in September of that year, was promoted to corporal and given command of his own squadron.
The events of October 8, 1918, took place as part of the Meuse-Argonne offensive—what was to be the final Allied push against German forces on the Western Front during World War I. York and his battalion were given the task of seizing German-held positions across a valley; after encountering difficulties, the small group of soldiers—numbering some 17 men—were fired upon by a German machine-gun nest at the top of a nearby hill. The gunners cut down nine men, including a superior officer, leaving York in charge of the squadron.
As York wrote in his diary of his subsequent actions: "[T]hose machine guns were spitting fire and cutting down the undergrowth all around me something awful…. I didn’t have time to dodge behind a tree or dive into the brush, I didn’t even have time to kneel or lie down…. As soon as the machine guns opened fire on me, I began to exchange shots with them. In order to sight me or to swing their machine guns on me, the Germans had to show their heads above the trench, and every time I saw a head I just touched it off. All the time I kept yelling at them to come down. I didn’t want to kill any more than I had to. But it was they or I. And I was giving them the best I had."
Several other American soldiers followed York’s lead and began firing; as they drew closer to the machine-gun nest, the German commander—thinking he had underestimated the size of the enemy squadron—surrendered his garrison of some 90 men. On the way back to the Allied lines, York and his squad took more prisoners, for a total of 132. Though Alvin York consistently played down his accomplishments of that day, he was given credit for killing more than 20 German soldiers. Promoted to the rank of sergeant, he remained on the front lines until November 1, 10 days before the armistice. In April 1919, York was awarded the highest American military decoration, the Congressional Medal of Honor.
Lauded by The New York Times as "the war’s biggest hero" and by General John J. Pershing, commander of the American Expeditionary Force (AEF), as "the greatest civilian soldier" of World War I, York went on to found a school for underprivileged children, the York Industrial Institute (now Alvin C. York Institute), in rural Tennessee. In 1941, his heroism became the basis for a movie, Sergeant York, starring Gary Cooper. Upon York’s death in 1964, U.S. President Lyndon Johnson (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/topics/lyndon-b-johnson) called him "a symbol of American courage and sacrifice" who epitomized "the gallantry of American fighting men and their sacrifices on behalf of freedom."

Echo
10-08-2014, 07:46 PM
Thanks, F&H - I am forwarding to my gang...

Garyshome
10-08-2014, 08:56 PM
Great post.

Loudenboomer
10-08-2014, 09:07 PM
Great post about a great American. I Salute you Sgt. York!

Recluse
10-08-2014, 11:27 PM
Sadly, in today's military, he would be court-martialed or at the least, LOR'd for being "too aggressive" or "out of control" or not following the CIC's ROE. . .

How far we've fallen.

:coffee:

dagger dog
10-09-2014, 04:23 PM
If you ever get to the Cumberland plateau near Jamestown TN, take a drive a little north on US 27 stop at Pall Mall and visit his gristmill it still stands at the small state park there, a small private museum and his grave is nearby.

smokeywolf
10-09-2014, 04:40 PM
God bless him, he did what needed to be done.

I have the DVD; I think I'll watch it tonight.

MtGun44
10-09-2014, 07:39 PM
Always remember that Sgt. York was a conscientious objector, too. They wouldn't let him, so he did
his best. A really great and humble man. And 7 Germans with 7 rounds from the .45 ACP 1911, in
addition to the others with his Enfield.

Bill

41magjh
10-09-2014, 10:33 PM
The movie they made about him is my favorite movie of all times. Just a simple man wanting a simple life.

MT Gianni
10-09-2014, 10:55 PM
IIRC, he turned down several efforts to make a movie. It was on the brink of the US entering into WW2 that he agreed and only if Gary Cooper would play him. He also wanted some artistic involvement to ensure that his religious convictions would be shown. I agree with JT that he and Audie Murphy would not be given the opportunities of recognition today.

gmsharps
10-10-2014, 01:31 AM
While working in Germany in the 2005 and 2006 time frame I had the priviledge to work with Col Maistriano helping to locate the spot where Alvin York earned his MOH. Col Maistriano had done several years of research on the battle and had exteensive information from the US and was then working with NATO and was able to get access to the German archives and was able to get the German side of the battle. We had a pretty good idea of where but after about 90 years after the battle evidence is difficult to sort out. We found many things that lead to the discovery like where the German lines were where we found German insignia with the correct markings for the unit in the area. Rusted remnats o what could have been the command post. A property line trench dating from Louis IV that the Germans used to lead a bayonet charge on Alvin where he engaged them with his 45 Handgun. The The embankment they followed was a perfect backstop to catch projectiles that Alvin fired at the charging Germans. We found 45 projectiles that had little to no damage indicating a miss or not hitting anything of heavy resistance to bullets that had heavy flattening from hitting equipment of the soldier or bone. Alvin had stated he empied 3 magazines from his 45 so we were looking for 21 fired cases also. I was able to find them with Alvin starting to shoot at about 50 yards and as the soldiers were shot from the read to the front with the Lt being shot at about 15 feet. The cases were scattered in an area of about 15 ft and when we put flags marking the case locations showed it looked like he had moved several feet to get either a better shot or cover. I recovered several bot tail machine bullets from that area validating the statement that bullets were flying like bees all around me. We also found the location where he engaged the machine gun. It was about a 60yard shot and was probably 45 degree angle below the machine gun nest that provided a bit of cover for him. We found 40 or so cases and I suspect that because he was runnin low on rifle ammo as to why he used his 45 on the charging soldiers. We turned over our findings to the French Government and their Archeology department confirmed our findings and the French Government provided money to build a parking lot and trail with markers to mark the area. My Avatar shows one of the 45 cases we recovered a RA 17 headstamp. Col Maistriano has since written a book on our findings and extensive detail on the battle. It was a very interesting time to be part of his team. The artifacts were sent to the US Miliary historian and some were sent to Pall Mall TN to York's museum. I got a lot of photos though.

gmsharps

oldred
10-10-2014, 06:09 AM
If you ever get to the Cumberland plateau near Jamestown TN, take a drive a little north on US 27 stop at Pall Mall and visit his gristmill it still stands at the small state park there, a small private museum and his grave is nearby.

I live only a few miles east of where York is buried, about a 40 minute drive, and we visit the area several times each year. Royal Blue WMA and the Big South Fork recreation area are along the way and the Big South Fork of the Cumberland is a great destination for those looking for an uncrowded area, if anyone is headed south on I75 at the Ky/Tn boarder near Jellico on the TN side it's just a Hop&Jump side trip that's well worth it! I had a friend tell me last year that he had been driving past the area for 30 years going to the Smoky Mountains and fighting tourist trap traffic and had no idea something like that was so close!

C. Latch
10-10-2014, 02:47 PM
oldred, we must be neighbors.

It was raining today and the family and I took the day to go over to Pall Mall. Very neat place. I hope to be able to go back. One of the prettiest spots I've seen in tennessee, and that's saying a lot.

bugkiller
10-10-2014, 10:14 PM
York not only founded the school that bears his name, but served in various leadership roles in his community. My Grandfather was one of his fellow community leaders. Family has certificate of Grandpa's election signed by York. Uncle taught and coached at York Institute. He was quite the leader in his time.

waynem34
10-11-2014, 07:39 PM
"All the time I kept yelling at them to come down. I didn’t want to kill any more than I had to". Simply extraordinary.

DCP
10-12-2014, 02:42 PM
A true America HERO. We owe so many so much!