PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700ML Bolt Disassembly Issues

ticket machine
10-08-2014, 01:38 PM
Trying to convery my Model 700ML from percussion cap to shotgun primer. I can't get the old firing pin out. Turned out the bolt head, compressed the spring and drove the pin out. Expected it to fly out, but no soap. I have re-inserted the clip in the groove after compressing the spring then snatching the clip out and it will not move. Tried to whack it with a hammer and brass drift on the last portion of the sear sleeve, that didn't help either. I have soaked it in PB blaster before I tried all this. Anyone have any suggestions?

Nobade
10-08-2014, 08:10 PM
I run into this all the time. When they drill the cocking piece, they raise a burr on the inside that makes it difficult to remove from the firing pin. The easiest way is to to use a Kleindorst firing pin disassembly tool. Compress the spring so the cross pin sticks out past the shroud. Punch it out. Run a 3/32" carbide reamer through the hole backwards (pull it) to straighten everything out. Relax the tension on the spring. Grab the bottom of the cocking piece in a smooth vise, pull the whole thing back to compress the spring, open the vise, and let the spring knock it apart. Repeat until it comes apart. Watch the end of the firing pin, it will give you one very nasty pinch if your hand gets in there. Works every time! Once you get it apart, dress the hole in the firing pin with a fine file so everything goes back together without resistance.

-Nobade

ticket machine
10-08-2014, 10:07 PM
The pin was rather tough to get out and I wondered if it left a burr on the pin. I'll try this and see what happens, Thanks

ticket machine
10-09-2014, 03:40 PM
Hmmm. Didn't work. I used a broach to smooth the hole from both sides, tried to get the spring to help me, and it still won't let go.

Nobade
10-09-2014, 07:58 PM
Wow, you really got a stuck one! I haven't yet encountered one I couldn't get apart.

Another thing that might work if you have a drill press or a milling machine is to vise up on the cocking piece and hold the large part of the end of the firing pin in the drill chuck. Then you could exert a significant amount of force to pull it apart.

-Nobade

ticket machine
10-09-2014, 11:02 PM
I have an e-mail into Remington's help center to see what they say.

M-Tecs
10-12-2014, 12:19 AM
The pin is threaded.

This is for the hunter bolt nose kit but is shows disassembly http://dougsmessageboards.proboards.com/attachment/download/214

Nobade
10-12-2014, 07:42 AM
Wow, you are sure? You know, you might be right - I seem to have a dim memory of that. I was thinking it was my Ruger 77/50 that was threaded, now I need to go out and look! If that is the case, sorry to mislead you! and I have to go clean the egg off my face....

-Nobade

M-Tecs
10-12-2014, 10:42 AM
Yes I am sure. I have installed four of the Hunter bolt nose kits on 700ML's in the last year and all have been threaded. Image on page 1 and 13 gives you a good view of the threaded section. http://dougsmessageboards.proboards.com/attachment/download/214

Nobade
10-13-2014, 09:23 AM
Well I am glad you posted about this. I had totally forgotten that the 700ML was different from the normal 700. This should make ticket machine's life a whole lot easier!

Since my own 700ML doesn't use that setup it slipped my mind...

-Nobade