PDA

View Full Version : Anyone taking cymbalta or know anything about it

tomme boy
10-08-2014, 12:18 PM
I have been on this for a while now for diabetic neuropathy. It seems to work a little bit better than some of the other drugs they have had me on.

Know here is what is happening with it also. I have to take it at exactly the same time every day. If I miss it by say an hour or more, I start to have withdrawal symptoms. It is had to explain the main thing that happens. It is like a popping or shocking type of feeling in my head. I have told my Dr. about this and she seamed to not be concerned about it. I think she does not know anything about this drug or the reactions it may have.

I am on a form of Obama care here in Iowa. All drugs have to be approved by "whoever" every month as it is not a generic. Well it took longer than normal this month and and I ran out for 3 days. This was the worst I have had the symptoms. Plus nausea, loss of balance, diarrhea, tinnitus got extremely worse, inability to sleep. I was able to take my first pill last night about 8:30 and it finally started to take effect about 2 AM. I could feel some of the things starting to lessen. I woke this AM and almost everything is gone. So I know it is the Cymbalta that is doing this. It just happened a lot worse this time than ever before.

I sent a email to my Dr. last night about this and have not heard anything back as of yet. I just need some more info to be able to talk to the DR. to find out what is going on.

bubba.50
10-08-2014, 01:17 PM
I took it for a short time for nerve pain. first couple days felt great. but then it started makin' me jittery & nervous & so twitchy I could hardly eat anything I couldn't eat with my hands 'cause of hurky-jerky movement when I tried usin' a fork or spoon.

Remiel
10-08-2014, 01:27 PM
um i found this and it has a lot of what you describe in it, http://www.prohealth.com/library/showarticle.cfm?libid=18811, this is also an anti-depressant, pls be carefuland keep after the doctor.

MaryB
10-08-2014, 11:35 PM
Have you tried Lyrica? Cymbalta did me in with side effects

tomme boy
10-08-2014, 11:40 PM
Lyrica did absolutely nothing for me. Didn't have any side effects either though.

doc1876
10-09-2014, 12:03 AM
I know that many of teh so called health drugs that are supposed to help with symptoms, actually cause more damage than the y help. Cholesterol meds ruin your liver, and do nothing to help you avoid a heart attach, Most of the blood meds have some kind of addicting property that once you are on them, you can not get off. I have told my Dr. repeatedly about several ones he would like me to take, that it ain't gona happen.
I know I have heard a bad things about cymbalta, but I am not sure what. I will be with the nutritionist this seekend, and ask her. Mean while, research research, research

DeputyDog25
10-09-2014, 07:15 AM
I take Cymbalta 3x a day and don't have any of the side effects mentioned in this thread, I have also forgotten to take it and have had no ill effects. I take MS Contin and Dilaudid for break through pain medication, 3 types of Anti-Depressants, Neurontin, Lorazepam, Abilify, Ambien CR, and Xanax. I only get nausea in the evening when I have to take about 13 pills all at one time, as long as I eat something and take Zofran for the nausea, it is not super bad.

bob208
10-09-2014, 07:31 AM
after the last few years i would have more faith in a tribal witch doctor. they had me on some b-p med. that made me a real zombie when i could stand up. all i could do was set around and gain weight. i stopped taking that one. now i can move again i can walk to the barn without stopping to catch my breath. and i am loseing weight.

Wayne Smith
10-09-2014, 07:50 AM
MD's literally practice medicine. That is because, unless you are an identical twin, your biochemistry is unique in the world. The MD has some general idea of what this medicine does to most people but has no idea of what it will do to you until you tell them. I'm not talking about minor stuff here, either. Much of what you have experienced is your unique reaction to this particular medication.

The withdrawl effects of any medication are generally the opposite of it's clinical effect. You have been experiencing withdrawl effects whenever you go off it. First, this tells you that it is doing something. Second, your insurance company is screwing with your medical treatment. Welcome to Obama 'care'.

Moonie
10-09-2014, 10:26 AM
My wife was on Cymbalta for depression, had to switch to another medication because of the side effects, she was on it for many years with little issue though. Suddenly seemed to stop working and then she started having side effects.

Jim Flinchbaugh
10-09-2014, 11:12 AM
I have a friend with bad arthritis and he was on that for a while. He said it helped with the pain, but gave him the emotional attributes of the female persuasion,
ie, illogical thinking, mood swings, etc. He said the worse and scary part was it affected his judgement in decision making in situations like driving a vehicle.
He went back to Mary Jane and lived happily ever after

Pinsnscrews
10-09-2014, 02:45 PM
Tremors, tinnitus, audible hallucinations. All three showed up within the first two weeks. Doctor took me off it because of the hallucinations. They were not voices, but simply things like hearing a car pass when there wasn't one. Hearing a 'radio' constantly. Dogs barking etc.

i have permenant tinnitus caused from medication having an adverse reaction to each other.

As as for your insurancr company having to approve a Name Brand, that has been in effect since the 70's and 80's, nothing new there. Since you can put in for a refill 7 days in advance, set a reminder to put in for the refill that 7th day. It helps to avoid the end of the month rush.

tomme boy
10-09-2014, 03:29 PM
I put in 2 weeks in advance. Here if it is a name brand, it has to be reviewed to make sure you have tried all other types first. Then the Dr. has to specifically say it has to be the name brand. They will give you 3 refills and it starts all over again.

fastfire
10-09-2014, 03:47 PM
Unless it is lifesaving medication I refuse to take medication with those and that many side affects as Cymbalta, Lyrica, Ambien CR, and Xanax.
High cholesterol can be lowered with proper diet.

Frank46
10-09-2014, 11:20 PM
I was dignosed with the pleural neuropathy due being a type 2 diabetic. They put me on lyrica 2 days later called the doc and said I'm not taking them anymore. Was clearing brush and tree limbs with the tractor and dump cart. Anyone had seen me would have thought I was drunk. Then they tell me stopping like that can cause a stroke. Then on cymbalta ever since. Still have balance issues and I have tinnitus all the time from the job. But have noticed when trying to get the fork of food to my mouth my right hand starts to tremble. And that is one of the side effects. Frank

btroj
10-09-2014, 11:29 PM
Cymbalta is available as a generic, duloxetine. We sell the heck out of it. Why are you getting name brand?

Like Wayne said it matters not what happens to others, it only matters what happens to YOU.

I will ask this, is it helpng the diabetic neuropathy? If so, I would deal with the issues. If not then tell the MD to either look at increasing the dose or trying a different med.

No matter what this is a time to consult your RP wherever you get your prescriptions. That is why we are there.

Black Powder Bill
10-11-2014, 04:06 PM
I started taking 300 mg Gabapentin [Neurontin] for shooting nerve pain last year. Hopefully once I shake this SI pain I'm stopping it.

nylocmik
10-23-2014, 03:30 AM
tomme boy, like Black Powder bill just attested to his using Gabapentin, I also use Gabapentin. I take 3 300mg tablets 3 times a day to treat my neuropathy of my feet caused from too much alcohol. The pain is under control as long as I stay on track taking it three times a day. only side effects are a little light headedness and upset stomach if you take them without food. Talk to your dr. about it. May help. Hope so buddy, 'cause the feet hurting is no good.

tomme boy
10-23-2014, 10:14 AM
Well they put me on Gabapentin also with the Cymbalta. This is for my back. I wake up in the morning and I feel like I am half drunk for about 2 hours. My judgement is not too well at the same time in the morning.

sparky45
10-23-2014, 10:22 AM
Unless it is lifesaving medication I refuse to take medication with those and that many side affects as Cymbalta, Lyrica, Ambien CR, and Xanax.
High cholesterol can be lowered with proper diet.

If that were true, there wouldn't be any anti-cholesterol drugs available. Granted, one can lower cholesterol (in a minor fashion) with diet modification, but if your Cholesterol is elevated due to genetics, it's not going to happen.

kfarm
10-23-2014, 12:15 PM
My rumatologist prescribed it for me but my primary care doc warned me not to take it, said this stuff is very bad on the body and can cause some serious phyclogical problems. He also said that taking any type of these types of meds could lead to gun convacation due to Bama care and the government having access to medical records. He said that a minor incident with the law could result in medical background checks and snowball. Not saying he's right but it's a possibility. Instead I deal with the pain with good ol pain meds.